I went to Wales.

Events, rideouts, meet-ups & ride reports.

I went to Wales.

Postby Hann » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:31 pm

There`s some reet cracking roads in Wales, stunning scenery, and plenty of weather....
I took the DR for it`s first Big adventure with me last week and the ol` girl behaved rather well considering.
I somehow managed to rack up over 1000 miles in five days winding my way around the sweeping A roads, back lanes, single track moss-covered tracks, up in the sticks and on to Liverpool city centre (never been before and wanted to visit).

I filled up 4 times (at over thirty five quid a time!) and got 300, 294 and 284 miles before going on to reserve working out at about 53mpg.
The motor did use a bit of oil, i was hoping it wouldn`t, but i`m not really surprised.
There`s one or two strange noises when riding that i couldn`t quite get a handle on, sometimes it sounds almost like pinking - a metallic rattle, but couldn`t be provoked to pink so don`t think it is. I think it`s somewhere in the driveline.
The chain was shagged at the end of the trip. It was in a bit of a state after this bikes` long period of inactivity and by the time the torrential rain washed the lube off on day two it`s fate was sealed - or not very well sealed judging by all the o-rings i found under the sprocket cover before i set off on the trip.. I should of really put new chain & sprockets on before, it deffo will have them now.
I also unfortunately had the misfortune to ride the Big across the campsite without a helmet/earplugs in and it sounded horrible - like skeletons copulating in a biscuit tin, a real bag o` spanners.
The rear tyre is a bit of a lumpy job and can slide in the dry when provoked so was not looking forward to wet weather riding at all but it gave me no concerns at all. I was expecting a real horror show in that department but the only brown trouser moment affected both front and rear tyres when i traversed a cattle grid in the wet when i couldn`t quite get perfectly upright in time after coming out of a bend.
Comfort-wise, the Bigs saddle usually gives me grief after about 40 mins, thankfully i had an Air Hawk and that kept numb bum syndrome off `till at least 45 mins..

Pics;

Hann
Regular
Regular

Re: I went to Wales.

Postby dave#22 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:19 pm

We did a ride over the bridge shown from Beulah, up the devil's staircase, around Llyn Brianne (shown) on part of our Saturday ride from the Red Lion pub, used for this years Thumper Club rally....and a lovely time we had too.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:16 am

As you say, Wales has some lovely scenery, unlike Essex where I live. Shame it`s a day`s ride just to get there.
Surprised to hear your bike made so much noise as it`s usually the early 750 that clatters.
Go for the later chain kit as used on the 94-on models as standard as it`s a 525 and is a bit meatier. Something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DID-X-Ring-5 ... SwTGNcfYjq
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Hann » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:32 pm

dave#22 wrote:We did a ride over the bridge shown from Beulah, up the devil's staircase, around Llyn Brianne (shown) on part of our Saturday ride from the Red Lion pub, used for this years Thumper Club rally....and a lovely time we had too.
Dave.

It was pure chance that i happened upon that route but i`m glad i did as it was probably the most memorable section of the trip.
I was camping the previous night just off the A487 near Penbryn and was heading for Builth Wells to sample the recommended A483 to Newtown road.
I fancied a bit of off the beaten track adventure so set the satnav to `shortest route` and it took me around Llyn Brianne reservoir - pics do not do it justice, you can`t see the road as it bends and snakes around the res`s perimeter, wonderful.
After a bit of Googling it seems like it`s quite a popular route.

Bob, nothing ominous like rumbling or knocking, just a cacophony of minor rattles, whirrs and ticking..
Hann
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Looks great dry weather too, maybe your chain was just old and the o rings have dried up. I don’t wear earplugs and my bike does do my head in after a while with all the ticking and the loud pipe I bet it doesn't sound as bad as mine!
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:08 pm

Good trip :tup:

Mine sounds noisy without a helmet and earplugs, but It is actually a really sound tight motor so I think yours may not be as bad as you think. The pinking sound is likely the shagged chain. It amplifies the the noise through the steel rear sprocket and also the swingarm if the chain guide is buggered as well.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Hann » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:54 pm

BigBob wrote:Go for the later chain kit as used on the 94-on models as standard as it`s a 525 and is a bit meatier. Something like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DID-X-Ring-5 ... SwTGNcfYjq

I fitted the new chain and sprockets today.
I bought a DID VX525 chain and JT front and rear sprockets from 3 different suppliers from ebay which came to ~£83 which i thought wasn`t too bad.
The chain was absolutely knackered...

I also noted that the previous fitment rear sprocket was a 48 tooth so the new 47 might same me a few revs at cruising speeds, too.

The new c&s has made the drive is a lot smoother, quieter and more pleasant now, and the odd pinging noise seems to have disappeared.
Hann
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm

It makes all the difference have a good Chain and sprockets. Keep it well lubed :tup:
nug

Return to Travel