Anybody done any trips on a BIG this year ?

Events, rideouts, meet-ups & ride reports.

Anybody done any trips on a BIG this year ?

Postby nug » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Just thought I would throw the question out there, as there seems to be very little reported on trips, or even just rideouts on BIG's.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Anybody done any trips on a BIG this year ?

Postby BigBob » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:10 am

I think it`s just me and you mate that go off on our bikes for an adventure.
A round the world bike and no one seems to go anywhere. Shame really.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Gaz800 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Nothing this year, but a friend and I are planning to take a few days out next summer and explore the west coast of Ireland, not a major trip by any stretch of the imagination , but a few days away on the bike is hard to beat.
Gaz800

Postby kyle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:54 pm

http://www.thepaddydakar.ie/
Not on 800 but on dr650.
The event is just over 250 miles form home so loaded up the bike and headed off. Used back roads ( boreens) for run down . Took about five hours arriving about 19:30. Got the tent up and sent to get signed in. Theres a night stage friday night so me and team mate headed out round 20:30 . Trail riding in the dark is a whole other experiennce.. i love it. Pulled up at pub just after midnight. Couple of pints then bed. Breakfast at 07:00 start of sat stage 09:00. Great trails and craic in the evenings. Up 07:30 sun morning for the ride home. The wee 650 was brilliant for this event. Could have done it on the 800 but the trails would have been much more difficult. The event is brilliant. Real fun fantastic trails. Theres also one in wales in may. Taffy dakar. There was a field of 180 riders. Our team was 2nd. Highly recommended.
kyle
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby Gaz800 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:00 pm

Nice one Kyle, my mate done the paddy dakar this year and last on his Vespa! He love's it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gaz800

Postby kyle » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Aye its a great event. You make it as hard or easy as you want. Great variety of machinery. Gs1200 - vespas. There was even a full on dakar bike complete with the french rider. There was a dr800 there but didnt get a chance to see the guy.
kyle
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby dave#22 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Hi all, did a few trips this year, first was on my DR800, loaded up with wife & boxes, went up North doing the Round Britain Rally....Yorkshire Dales, Moors, up the East Coast and did locations around the Borders, based ourselves near Hartlepool for a few days.
Next was down to Spain on the Ferry, though I cheated, I took my DR750 behind my camper. I use the bike for touring and the camper as a base. Covered a lot of the Basque region, Pyrenees, visited the Wheels & Waves meet in Biarritz, then back up through France, Lot, Dordogne, then up to Cornwall for an informal bike meet....covered over 2000 miles on the bike over five weeks and 1600 in the camper.
Next was a trip to Sweden, not on a BIG, but on a Guzzi for our annual Quota Rally....next year is The Pyrenees!!!
A few weeks ago we went to Holland for the Monoconnection Rally...camper again with another BIG restyled to look like a '70's BSA Starfire.
And most Sundays, out into Wales on my DR800...come rain or shine.
Before you ask....yes I am retired. :tup:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:24 pm

Well done Dave :tup: looks like us old farts are showing up all the younger ones.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Well done chaps.

Glad my question has unearthed your exploits. :tup:

Its good to know that its not just Bob & me clocking up some miles on Bigs.
I have hardly ridden this year due to one thing or another, & being laid up with an injury at the moment means I wont be riding for a while yet.

Luckily we got 2 trips across the water though. France & Germany in June where we went to the German Big meet. I also split this with the Overland show in Bad kissengen which fell on the same weekend. Good week away with some interesting exploration despite the 1000 miles of motorway I endured :crazy:
Then we had a run over to France again last month. All in all about 3000 miles worth for me I think.

Please post any pics of your trips as it may inspire the armchair riders to get out & use their Bigs.
nug

Postby BigBob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:26 am

Would like to go to the German Big meet next year but it`s in Thuringia which means a return round trip of 1200 miles on boring motorways and I`m not sure my arse would survive it :wtf:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Travel