Spin & update of not much really....

Events, rideouts, meet-ups & ride reports.

Spin & update of not much really....

Postby Dr Mabuse » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:13 pm

I went for a short spin this morning riding aimlessly towards East Cork and along the south coast. Stopped by Space Agency to 'splash my boots' an interesting place. Besides the usual telecoms & research bumpf on the website for research purposes, I've heard that there appears to be a military EU/US link for snooping even as I type this! :prob:

I've covered about 1K/kms since fitting O.R.'s carbs and all seems sweet. I didn't think the brakes would be so wooden compared to my XRV but they are crap with 'ABS' too - you'd never lock the front wheel.....

Have to fit the RD crash bars yet but, as noted in another post, the welded joints are of poor quality. I'm even considering having them ground off and rewelded as I reckon they may fracture upon a hard fall.

Anyway, hope all's well with everyone.........

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Mabuse
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Spin & update of not much really....

Postby nug » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Would like to have nose around that place. Good to hear the bike is going well. Brakes, never seem to be any good but then its an old bike built before good brakes really mattered. Its always worth experimenting with different pads top see if you can find something more suitable.
nug

Postby Chris1215 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am

Nice looking bike. I do like the light blue. Brakes on my 650 leave a lot to be desired. A few on the 650 forum have put suzuki bandit master cylinders on there bikes to good effect.
Chris1215
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr Mabuse » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 pm

Hi fellas

Regarding brakes, the front caliper had been rebuilt just before I bought it and has a braided hose. The mastercylinder was knackered so I acquired a Bandit mastercylinder and fitted that. Old technology and it just does not inspire confidence to haul you to a stop anytime soon.

I'm aware of the 'HE' conversion kit though it's expensive but, I may have to go that way. However, I'm wondering if anyone has found a 21" wheel single/twin disc conversion from another bike?

I'll put up another separate post on that later rather than get sidetracked in this one........
Dr Mabuse

Postby nug » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:56 am

May be able to fit an Africa twin front fork with twin discs? Pretty sure they are 43mm stanchions same as the Big? Maybe find a better caliper from a sports bike or similar but remember to be careful with the ratios when swapping master cylinders. I don't see how these bandit cylinders make it brake any better. By adding a larger master cylinder you are actually reducing the internal pressure for a given lever pressure as the load is spread over a larger piston area. It will give the brake more feel which perhaps is why people think it makes the brakes better, but ultimately you need to improve things at the disc and caliper or you might just as well pull the lever harder.

Explained better here....

While a larger master cylinder creates a larger displacement, it takes more force to create the same pressure as a smaller bore. While a larger master cylinder will take up system slack with less pedal stroke, it will take more force to create the same system pressure. The result after adding the larger master cylinder is a harder pedal which needs much more pedal pressure to create the same amount of braking force. For instance, moving from a 3/4" master cylinder to a 1" requires 77.7% more force on the push rod.

Taken from http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
Last edited by nug on Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nug

Postby dave#22 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 am

Hi Dave, I've experimented over the years to improve the front brake, at present I'm using a Brembo disc as I wasn't prepared to pay silly money for a Suzuki item.
I found the best at high speed retardation to be the Ferodo Platinum HH, but they were poor at low speed!!!! I found the best at low speed to be the SBS road pads, but poor at high speed stops, so guess what I did.....one of each :crazy: , which gives a good combination :tup: . plus when they wear, I have another opposing pair to fit.
Years ago...I bought some Armstrong road pads and they seemed okay until it rained...absolute nightmare. they went straight in the bin after a scary ride home :tdown: .
Have fun experimenting .
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:43 am

I`ve been experimenting with brakes on Bigs for decades and seemed to have tried just about every option.
I went for the Bandit m/cylinder back in the day because a) it was for straight bars and b) span adjustable.
I found that however much I bled the brakes, there was still too much travel at the lever with the OE m/cylinder, and having an adjustable lever dialled that out.
I know there`s less feel at the lever with the 5/8ths (17mm) m/cylinder as against a 14mm but having only two fingers to brake with it made all the difference.
On my SR43 I`ve gone for a Brembo front disc which gives so much more bite http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-DR800- ... Swa8dZwxxY and at £98 delivered is less than half the OE price.
As for pads, I`ve tried them all, and in general, the original Tokico pads are the best, though only obtainable from Suzuki and nearly £40 a set!
Best alternative pads are Goldfren which are also cheap, and SBS are pretty good too. EBC are rubbish along with all the other Chinese made shite.
I`ve found that a more important factor than pad/disc interface is rubber. Over time you get a build up of aluminium oxide behind the rubber boots in the caliper which causes stiction and you eventually end up with only one side of the caliper working. Similarly, the dust seal around the piston suffers from the same amount of crud behind it, causing it to bind on the piston resulting in lack of movement.
So if your caliper feels wooden, you need to strip the caliper apart and clean up/replace the piston and remove all the crud that has built up and replace the dust seal and use proper caliper grease while you are at it. Don`t use aftermarket seals as they are shite (I know as I`ve had one fail with nearly dire consequences) and get OE. The brake seal itself doesn`t usually need replacing though if you want peace of mind...... You will be amazed by the improvement gained by doing the above, and although an OE kit comprising pistons and seals might cost £60 or so, it will transform your braking.
After all, how much is your life worth?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 pm

dave#22 wrote:Hi Dave, I've experimented over the years to improve the front brake, at present I'm using a Brembo disc as I wasn't prepared to pay silly money for a Suzuki item.
I found the best at high speed retardation to be the Ferodo Platinum HH, but they were poor at low speed!!!! I found the best at low speed to be the SBS road pads, but poor at high speed stops, so guess what I did.....one of each :crazy: , which gives a good combination :tup: . plus when they wear, I have another opposing pair to fit.
Years ago...I bought some Armstrong road pads and they seemed okay until it rained...absolute nightmare. they went straight in the bin after a scary ride home :tdown: .
Have fun experimenting .
Dave.

Lol clever!
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

Re Dave`s comments about disc pads, I found the Tokico OE pads to be the best at speed but with little bite at low speed and Goldfren much better at low speed,
so identical to the Ferodo and SBS situation. Maybe I should take up Dave`s idea of using one of each :tup:
Using a Brembo disc is definitely an improvement, shame they don`t make them for the SR41 & 42
As for Armstrong pads, they are made in Taiwan. Need I say more?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Return to Travel