New owner rom Italy

Give us a clue - who are you?

New owner rom Italy

Postby Yuza » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:27 am

Hi all, just bought a 1990 Dr Big 800cc, will be in my garage next weekend

44K km, complete and running quite well, but in need of a restoration (bad paint and few traces of rust here and there). Some noise from the timing chain, it seems, but I am new to DRs so may be normal...

My plan is to "retro-mod" it, upgrading few parts (front fork, brakes, exhaust) while refurbishing

I have read about fitment of a DRZ fork, seems not so complicated and would allow an easy front brake upgrade if the full front end is installed

Anyway, any advise is welcome, on fork and other parts. I have already given a look at DR shop....lots of nice stuff!

Thx
Yuza
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Re: New owner rom Italy

Postby Deano » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:29 pm

Hello and welcome, Plenty of guys on here that can help with the technical stuff, ask and they will advise. :tup:
I have my wife's permission to keep breathing!!
Deano
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Yuza » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:02 pm

Thanks. I am already screening topics and looking for some good advise on the mods
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:05 pm

You may have already seen my thread http://www.drbig.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1482&hilit=drz+fork+swap&start=110

Any questions just ask :tup:
nug

Postby Yuza » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:35 am

I did, in fact!

I am not 100% sure I have understood the problem you had with the stem.

I understood you have used the original stem from the big and yokes from DRZ, and needed some adaptation because of different sizes. Did you weld a stopper on the stem tube because DRZ yokes would have hit the frame otherwise?

Would it be possible to use yokes and stem from DRZ and just change bearings? Any big issue with diameter or lenght?

I'd like to use a full fron end (including wheel and brake) from a DRZ, if I manage to find one
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 pm

If you look back at the thread you will see I had to make a new steering stop to suit the DRZ yokes. The DR 750 stem is a loose fit in the DRZ yoke so needed peening to draw the met up to make a tight fit. The 750 stem is welded into its yoke so needs to be cut out. I did this by splitting the yoke down the line of the stem with a slitting disc on the grinder. This is why I had to weld a suitable washer to its base as there is no shoulder to locate in the DRZ machined rebate at the base of the yoke. With all the parts in front of you it will be clear what you need to do. You just need to be competent and accurate in the changes you make. It is essential to upgrade the springs or it will handle like a jelly on casters.

DRZ stem is unsuitable due to the top bearing needing to be larger (same size as the bottom). The DR Big headstock cannot accommodate a bearing large than the one it has which is 25mm ID compared to 30mm ID of the DRZ. This is why I had to make a sleeve to allow the thinner DR Big stem fit correctly into the large DRZ top yoke hole.

post some pictures when you have the swap done :tup:
nug

Postby Yuza » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:36 am

Ok thanks, now it is clearer.

I am not new to playing with yokes from different bikes (last winter I fitted a CBR1000 USD fork to my Yamaha XJR) and I have someone able to machine the parts I will need.

I planned already to rebuild shock and forks, whatever model I will fit.

I also found a thread on advrider where some says the best fork to fit on DR Big is WP Extreme from late '90 KTMs, so not sure whether I will go for DRZ fork or not, but in any case I do expect a similar job will be needed with bearings and stem.

Will post pictures for sure
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby Mick75 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 am

The front end from a WR/YZ450 will bolt straight on, you need to put a 5mm spacer beneath the bottom bearing and use the Yamaha head bearings and mod the lockstops, put it on mine but changed back as the USD forks significantly reduced steering lock
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Postby Yuza » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:42 pm

Thanks but I do not like USDs on a 1990 motorcycle, that's why I am looking for either WP Extreme non USD or DRZ fork.

Just found a Marzocchi Magnum from old Husqvarna 610 models at a very cheap price, just need to check total lenght, may be another option to consider
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Postby Yuza » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Had my first ride today with it, about 50km on road.
Seems ok, engine has a good push, big noise from crankcase but the balancer still needs to be regulated
Brakes are scary. Very poor the front one, totally absent the rear one!
Will post a picture
Btw, it came with a lowered seat, nicely made but too low for me, anyone interested?
Yuza
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Who's On Here