DR owner from Finland

Give us a clue - who are you?

DR owner from Finland

Postby Monodoggie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi all,

DR 800 owner from Finland here. I've been reading these forums for a while but just haven't gotten around to creating an account. I bought a 1994 DR 800 last fall to replace my 1993 DR 800 that i totalled in a crash (car ran a red light in front of me). As its winter I'm going trough the bike to make sure its in good condition to ride in the summer. So far it seems it only needs a new balancer chain, it has a lot of slack and the spring won't tighten it anymore, going to check the cam chain too while I'm at it but it seemed to be fine. Also noticed the automatic decomp has been disabled by previous owners, but it still starts just fine. Not sure if i should fix it too or if its not a big deal. Anyhow there can be a lot of surprises and problems when working on an old bike with no knowledge of the bike's history :) This is probably the best place to ask for help and advice if I can't figure something out while working on the bike. I don't have that much experience working on DRs yet as I totalled the last one only after 6 months of owning it. Looking forward to chat with fellow DR800 owners, there ain't so many left so its nice that we have a nice little forum to meet up on :)
Monodoggie
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: DR owner from Finland

Postby Deano » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:
I have my wife's permission to keep breathing!!
Deano
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:26 pm

I rode up through Norway to the Nordkapp many years ago on a Big750 and then came back via Finland and spent a couple of weeks there.
Never seen so many trees or lakes in my life! Strange place to ride a bike as I only ever saw one other bike, and it was a police bike!
Where in Finland are you?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Monodoggie » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:14 pm

I live in a city called Kuopio, its in eastern Finland so I doubt you visited here if you came trough Norway. It can get a bit lonely riding here sometimes with so few bikes around, but if you manage to come accross fellow bikers on the road they always wave at you atleast :) I uploaded pictures of my old and current DR in the gallery if you wish to take a look, alltough I need to get better pictures after I get the bike assembled again. At the moment I'm waiting for the magneto puller to arrive that I ordered from Hessler.
Monodoggie
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:15 pm

After Nordkapp I went to Kirkenes, which is the end of the world! then down to Helsinki via Rovaniemi and Oulu. After that Turku and the ferry to Stockholm.
A lot of the roads in the north were just dirt and I didn`t hit tarmac till Inari.
I do remember that Finland has billions of very hungry mosquitoes and most of them tried to eat me.
Be very patient with the rotor puller as it often doesn`t want to come off easily.
If you just leave it under tension overnight, it will quite often just fall off in the middle of the night, so make sure you do it where all the bits don`t fall on the ground.
Your Big looks good in KTM orange. :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Monodoggie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:20 am

The mosquitoes can certainly be a slight annoyance during the summer, especially up north. Luckily they shouldn't carry any nasty diseases to take home as a souvenier :lol: Thanks for the tip with the rotor, I would have probably tried to force it out as patience isn't my virtue, but I'll try my best to be patient with it now :tup:
Monodoggie
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to Who's On Here