Finally got myself a BIG!

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Finally got myself a BIG!

Postby Pjgoose » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi all,
After searching for several months I gave eventually found myself a DR800, a later twin pipe model wth the single filler cap.
Forgive my ignorance!
It has a white frame and crash bars and is red predominantly with graphics and a red/ white seat.
I bought it as a non runner and intend doing a full nut and bolt rebuild of it, hopefully in a Marlboro type colour scheme.
Not sure how to host pictures on here, but will be raking lots as I go along, mainly for reference!
First thing that sprang to mind was how low the bike is. I thought it would sit much taller, so how do I raise it? Linger shock, different dog legs? Fork change too?
I know traffic in here is light, but I’m hoping a few of you that have the necessary skills and knowledge will be able to help me as I attempt to get this unloved DR back on the road?

Cheers, Goose
Pjgoose
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Finally got myself a BIG!

Postby H_Lime » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:35 pm

We need pics asap Goose and congrats and welcome to the fold :wave:
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 pm

Where are you?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:00 pm

good for you :tup:
spendango

Postby nug » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:38 am

You own a SR43 model then. Welcome to the forum :tup:
nug

Postby Pjgoose » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:58 pm

Cheers all,
I’m near Derby, if anyone is local please let me know?
Not sure how to post pics? Will try to work it out...
As mine has the later plastics, does anyone know if I can change to the earlier style rear tail piece? I’d prefer the earlier panels, but not even sure if they’d fit, let alone where to source some!?
Currently the bike has been stripped down to an engine in frame, no great dramas dismantling, just one bolt on the swing arm mechanism that has currently refused to budge!The twin exhausts fell apart as they were removed, they were so badly rusted, but mainly it’s cosmetic rust and the tax disc hints it’s been off the road since 09...
I connected up a battery before dismantling and all the electrics worked, though the starter motor was a bit intermittent, hopefully just from lack of use?
I will be making out a huge wanted list no doubt, so please let me know if you can help, but I will endeavour to share pictures and progress in return for hints and tips!

Cheers, Goose
Pjgoose
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby H_Lime » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Great stuff Goose, bet your looking forward to having it sorted. Lotsa picktars as you go please :wave:
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:27 am

The earlier and later styles are very different indeed and trying to put earlier panels on a later model will be almost impossible, you would be better off getting an earlier frame/plastics model from 1990.
It would have been best practice to have got the bike running in the condition you found it just to determine it all worked, now you will be all at sea determining the causes of faults. As a non runner I hope you didn`t pay too much for it, especially as it`s been neglected for nine years, and you have to ask why it was parked up in the first place, was there a serious fault with it?.
I`m in Essex so too far to help, there might be others a bit more local though.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Pjgoose » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:16 pm

I’m good with it all Bob, wasn’t expensive and is complete. Was parked up due t the previous owner getting too old to ride! If it doesn’t work out, is a great source of spares! I did want a running earlier model, but after spending months looking, I jumped at this one...if only just to get a toehold into Big ownership...
Pjgoose
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to Chatter