Deer

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Deer

Postby GrahamW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:52 am

The deer are getting active this time of year especially on misty mornings like today while the sun is low in the sky. I had two big ones run out in front of the bike this morning as I was riding down a country lane near the forest around Rackham in the South Downs. Luckily I was going quite slow but was glad of the new Mitas E08 tyres even though the bike did fishtail and slide to the right a bit as I went for the brakes. I will have to try and stick to the main roads on mornings like today.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Re: Deer

Postby BigBob » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:28 pm

I stopped dead yesterday about 2mm from a squirrel that ran out and stopped in front of me.
A dead ringer for baby Oleg was very nearly smeared all over the tarmac but got lucky.
2 minutes later a partridge flew up into my headlight producing a shower of feathers
Yep, it`s dangerous out there alright.
I find wild Audis the worst of all though as they are all driven by registered blind drivers
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:24 pm

Partridges and pheasants have a particular death wish to the point that I suspect they wait there and jump out on purpose. :lol: A good one a few months back was mother duck leading a row of duckings across the A25 as I was coming past! :crazy:
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 am

Partridges are a particular problem around here. 60 mph impact to the chest is not nice! Worst one I had was a Hare. The bugger got spooked and jumped out of the hedge straight into me. I was hugging the apex of the bend as it a single track lane. The hairy little bugger hit me in the thigh and kidney area and managed to disembowl itself over me and the bike! Hurt like crazy and nearly had me off the bike. I now travel a bit more slowly on the lanes :crazy:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:56 am

I got a couple of deer whistle things off ebay just need to work out where to fit them.

Hare sounds awful I guess 60mph is too fast for country lanes.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:42 am

I have most definitely slowed down these days.

Whistles eh? i wonder if they really work, or does it just make you sound like a ladder whistling on a roof rack?
nug

Return to Chatter