XL 600 LMF

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: XL 600 LMF

Postby spendango » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:15 am

Not yet , still thinking about it
spendango
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby nug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Offer him 650 for it. Get a later motor from a Dominator or similar and drop it in and it will be a good bike. Does it have the original tubeless rims?
nug

Postby spendango » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 pm

NO money this month after buying another 800 :tup: when are you selling yours ?????
spendango

Postby nug » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:53 pm

Cant sell it as it has to drag my fat arse over to the Vosges for a week at the end of September.
nug

Postby Tinsara » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 am

Hi !! . Being absolutely new to bikes.. I have just bought a XL600 LMF \(the one with the enormous fuel tank).
Before sailing off to Africa to my first trip on a bike (being lots of times but in 4WDs and Trucks) ... I am absoultely ignorant on lots of motorbike-related issues .

Such as :

How much power can I take from the electrical system ? -Is it possible to run=off a laptop (I mean with an inverter , of course) from the electrical system ?

Are chains standard ? or are model-specific . Can I expect to find a chain for my bike in -say - mali ? or Senegal ?

I know that's a stupid question .. but .. Is it safe to assume that nothing will breakdown in 5000 kilometers. How reliable a well mantained XL6000 is compared to a well-mantained modern 4WD ?

Any parts should I take with me ?

and lastly :

Is it possible to find parts and skilled mechannics in Africa.. or should I abandon the bike if it gets seriously broken down .

Thanks a lot for your time.. and sorry to ask too many qustions.\

JAvier
Tinsara
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby nug » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:58 pm

You really need more experience with motorcycle travel and fixing in the field before you take on a trip like this. You won't necessarily have problems same as with a truck or 4x4 but you have more difficulty in fixing them due to not having the space to carry spares and tools. An old bike will have more potential electrical issue an potential mechanical engine issues. The chassis is easy to get up to good order but the engine is difficult trust without stripping it and replacing any parts that are maybe nearing their maximum wear limits. Buy the beat Chaim you can as you will most likely only fine cheap poor quality ones in Africa. A top quality chain will last you many thousands of miles if lubed and adjusted. Get to know the bike inside out and learn how to fix it. Take a spare cdi unit and every cable you may need. Plenty of fuel hose is useful for repairs and also siphoning fuel if needed. Maybe go on horizons unlimited or similar forums for more advise. Good luck!
nug

Previous

Return to Chatter