RIP

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: RIP

Postby Dr Mabuse » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm

dave#22 wrote:......Well Dave, the weather was like those Italian bikes - crap! :mrgreen: ...and, that Harry Lime geezer sought the advice of some eejit to plan a route...... what possibly could go wrong there.....

Hi Dave, I thought it may have been you, Colum did say that you'd bought a DR 800....after we left you and your ailing Africa Twin last time we were over.
Why didn't you come over and join us?...the weather wasn't that bad.
Lets hope the weather's better next time.
Dave.

.... Started a new coach driving job recently - enslavement really, mentally & physically drained. We're treated like a tube of toothpaste squeezed of the last drop and discarded. Was working and the forecast looked nasty so I knew I'd be better out of it anyhow. As 'Baldrick' would say "I've a cunning plan" to extract myself from current situation.... hopefully!

I'm not really a 'pack' leader either (despite drop off thing) it would be a bus mans holiday ironically. From past experience, any more than a few riders (particularly guys taking time off work) 'you' tend to put yourself under pressure to ensure a memorable and enjoyable trip if they've taken the time to 'come over'.

However, small groups of known bikers and their expectations are grand. When 'hosting' around my own patch, I find it enjoyable to set my camp and chill. I can advise and adapt an itinerary to suit the needs of the riders & bikes whom want to explore the area. I like riding the 'hidden routes with a few riders - becomes too tricky and potentially dangerous if there are too many bikes.

Ireland's too small to get lost really but, can equally get too crowded too particularly the SW Coast with the marketing of the 'WAW' Wild Atlantic Way and the Skelligs with Star Wars etc. My advice is if considering a visit is early Spring empty roads usually Summer can be a bugger with hire cars, camper vans, coaches and beemer blingers.......

So, maybe an Analogue Trailie meet and, particularly a wild camp at that is possible if anyone's interested? I'll be out there anyway......

Regards to all...... even Harry Lime..... :mrgreen:
Dr Mabuse
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby philcymro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:04 pm

We went over to the west coast a few years back. First night stayed with friends in Mallow and then 3 nights camping around the south west. A truly beautiful country. :tup:
philcymro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby Mangledmetal » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:54 pm

Such a shame!
It was this site that convinced me to get a BIG. I have just got the paperwork back from the Dvla today with a number plate as I bought a German bike!

I have scoured this page regularly and use the Facebook group, which seem to be a cRacking group of folks!

I hope that the wealth of info and knowledge can keep going!!

Now that I've got mine, I'll be posting up my adventures!

Cheers!!
Toby!
Mangledmetal
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:34 pm

OK OK I`ll not close this forum
Strange that the threat of closure brought so many people out of the woodwork
Please keep posting and try to keep it interesting.
Camping in Ireland sounds good, though it`s a long way from Essex.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby philcymro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:52 pm

You can catch the 2am ferry and sleep on the way over just make sure you tie yourself down before dozing off. The Irish Sea can be a bit rough. :sick:
philcymro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby spendango » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:53 pm

nug wrote:Wheres Spendango? as one of the most prolific posters along with Bob and me you should be here chipping in mate :wave:

Maybe they have no time to post as they are out on their BIGS :wtf: or are just lazy barstewards . I've been busy working on the house while you two were out swanning about :wtf:
spendango

Postby nug » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:24 am

Working on the house? Bet you are building another shed :lol: :lol:
nug

Postby BigBob » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:44 am

"while you two were out swanning about"

We were getting completely soaked through most days, especially on the way down to the Vosges mountains.
Several hundred miles in an absolute deluge was no fun at all and took us about 3 days to dry our kit out.
Riding in cold wet undercrackers for hours is never a lot of fun :( I guess you are used to it in norn iron ;)
Still, at least we got out there and rode our Bigs through some stunning scenery
The long slog back up the motorways is never much fun though.

I fancy doing this one next year http://www.stella-alpina.co.uk/index.html
Check out the photos for 2017 and you`ll see that it`s an ideal trip for a Big with lots of 1980s bikes doing it
Just a couple of miles over the Italian border with France, with a cheap campsite 500m over the border http://www.bokki.it/eng/
If Goldwings and Harleys can get to the top then so can we on our Bigs, and lots of Brits do the rally every year
Plenty of stunning mountain passes locally as well so lots of fun to be had
Anyone else fancy an adventure?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm

Do you boys not have jobs to go to :wtf:
spendango