RIP

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: RIP

Postby nug » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:31 pm

I am retarded :crazy:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby spendango » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:45 pm

That explains a lot :D
spendango

Postby nug » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am

I am certainly losing the plot these days mate...had enough of the UK and need to "go bush" for a few years I reckon.
nug

Postby Haga lout » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:00 pm

BigBob wrote:"while you two were out swanning about"

We were getting completely soaked through most days, especially on the way down to the Vosges mountains.
Several hundred miles in an absolute deluge was no fun at all and took us about 3 days to dry our kit out.
Riding in cold wet undercrackers for hours is never a lot of fun :( I guess you are used to it in norn iron ;)
Still, at least we got out there and rode our Bigs through some stunning scenery
The long slog back up the motorways is never much fun though.

I fancy doing this one next year http://www.stella-alpina.co.uk/index.html
Check out the photos for 2017 and you`ll see that it`s an ideal trip for a Big with lots of 1980s bikes doing it
Just a couple of miles over the Italian border with France, with a cheap campsite 500m over the border http://www.bokki.it/eng/
If Goldwings and Harleys can get to the top then so can we on our Bigs, and lots of Brits do the rally every year
Plenty of stunning mountain passes locally as well so lots of fun to be had
Anyone else fancy an adventure?

That looks like fun but got to mutch on next year maybe you can scout it out Bob and let us know and I'd be up for it the year after
Haga lout
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:57 pm

It would be a loss if this venerable corner of the web closed shop Bob but the site is stagnant and doesn't deserve to be, so what to do is a good question? My answer is simple, more UK based meets will inject new life, its a very good start.

Take Dave22 and myself. We met on a capo rally and two mates I personally know have since bought dr's. As a direct result..? Not sure we can take that acclaim but we were spreading the word and they saw the machines....

Meets ARE the lifeblood of a keeping an online community current and real. Said it in the past and twas overlooked but its well worth considering piggy backing this http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... -Meet-2018
These days its less about capos and more about the fun.

Usually min 15 plus bikes, by now its usually only half capos, we've had less reliable bikes show up in the past like Africa twins :lol: . Two night camping in Llandovery, good people, good grub, roads and craic. More importantly folk get to see multiple dr's and ask wtf are they, and how is that Dave22 so unfeasibly smooth on one :wtf: and pics are taken questions asked and interest raised. Dr's are perfect second bikes...or in my case a second bike spread over two levels of a garage :? .

Despite my esteemed colleague drmabuse's concerns regarding supposed group psyche track day riding craic and the 'dreaded drop off system' the only notable off I can recall was caused by a bird strike, in ten odd yrs.... An Irish meet of could of course be done no bother if there was interest.

Anyway, if the capo thing aint a match consider piggybacking something else so you spread the word to new possible devotees!
H_Lime

Postby Haga lout » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:15 pm

H_Lime wrote:It would be a loss if this venerable corner of the web closed shop Bob but the site is stagnant and doesn't deserve to be, so what to do is a good question? My answer is simple, more UK based meets will inject new life, its a very good start.

Take Dave22 and myself. We met on a capo rally and two mates I personally know have since bought dr's. As a direct result..? Not sure we can take that acclaim but we were spreading the word and they saw the machines....

Meets ARE the lifeblood of a keeping an online community current and real. Said it in the past and twas overlooked but its well worth considering piggy backing this http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... -Meet-2018
These days its less about capos and more about the fun.

Usually min 15 plus bikes, by now its usually only half capos, we've had less reliable bikes show up in the past like Africa twins :lol: . Two night camping in Llandovery, good people, good grub, roads and craic. More importantly folk get to see multiple dr's and ask wtf are they, and how is that Dave22 so unfeasibly smooth on one :wtf: and pics are taken questions asked and interest raised. Dr's are perfect second bikes...or in my case a second bike spread over two levels of a garage :? .

Despite my esteemed colleague drmabuse's concerns regarding supposed group psyche track day riding craic and the 'dreaded drop off system' the only notable off I can recall was caused by a bird strike, in ten odd yrs.... An Irish meet of could of course be done no bother if there was interest.

Anyway, if the capo thing aint a match consider piggybacking something else so you spread the word to new possible devotees!

I recollect the year of the bird strike was a bad year Tim got hit on the m4 on the way there and Jim ran in the back of Colin and deen got knocked of by a gsxron the way home none of these happend in the group ride out But seeing a few dr's at the capo meet will be nice as there's also rats there know it's more a meet of friends than a aprilia meet
Haga lout
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 pm

Id say that's bang on Geoff, more about the venue, roads and people. Ridden loads here, on the continent and west coast of states but the roads about southern Wales are unfugginbelievable imo. The plan is show on the dr for it! If Dave22 and you show that's three :tup:
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:35 am

Couldn`t agree more about the value of meeting up for a ride/beer/chinwag etc but despite my suggesting it a number of times, it`s only been taken up once, about ten years ago, when four of us met at a bike museum in the midlands, with three Dr Bigs and one Africa Twin. The other two Bigs were sold not long afterwards so that left just me :(
Nug and I meet up every year with a couple of Super Teneres to go to France but we`ve given up posting reports as no one seems interested, and no one has ever asked if they can tag along.
Even going to the German Dr Big meet elicited no interest at all even though there are hundreds of Bigs in attendance there from all over Europe.
I guess after years of trying I`ve given up on people on this forum actually riding their bikes, though if this thread actually gets people off their arses then that`s great.
A meet in S Wales next year might even work, we`ll see. Mind you, I`m getting too old and decrepit for sleeping in tents in the pissing rain ;)
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm

seems a bit strange , you meet up with other BIG riders and then as soon as they get home they sell their bikes and disappear :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: Not blaming you just saying :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:
spendango

Postby Haga lout » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 pm

BigBob wrote:Couldn`t agree more about the value of meeting up for a ride/beer/chinwag etc but despite my suggesting it a number of times, it`s only been taken up once, about ten years ago, when four of us met at a bike museum in the midlands, with three Dr Bigs and one Africa Twin. The other two Bigs were sold not long afterwards so that left just me :(
Nug and I meet up every year with a couple of Super Teneres to go to France but we`ve given up posting reports as no one seems interested, and no one has ever asked if they can tag along.
Even going to the German Dr Big meet elicited no interest at all even though there are hundreds of Bigs in attendance there from all over Europe.
I guess after years of trying I`ve given up on people on this forum actually riding their bikes, though if this thread actually gets people off their arses then that`s great.
A meet in S Wales next year might even work, we`ll see. Mind you, I`m getting too old and decrepit for sleeping in tents in the pissing rain ;)

I'd of been up for the trip to France but no one told me as I was for Germany the aprilia camp there's a good b&b just across from the pub that I use as I can't camp in the uk as I'm to old and it Herts to mutch in the morning if your up for Wales I can give you the phone number of where I stay
Haga lout
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

PreviousNext

Return to Chatter