Tools we should own.

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: Tools we should own.

Postby nug » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm

Would like a decent ultrasonic cleaner myself. keep using the ball n chains little cleaner but its just too small.

Blasting.... lots of opinions on that. Soda is good for non damaging paint removal and cleaning. Won't touch rust though. It clogs really easily & can be a pain. I tried it in a pressure pot to strip a TR6 engine bay and gave up in the end. That was with the proper soda kit fitted to the pot. I can't remember what the difference was in the kit though. Smaller valve or something? I ended up using crushed glass which is available in various sizes. Think I used medium grit? Bloody brilliant! It seems less vulnerable to moisture in the air supply. Moisture is a real problem using soda. Invest in good water traps and drain the compressor before use. Make sure there is no temperature differential between the kit and the ambient temperature. keep the airline off the cold floor if its winter as the warm air from the compressor condenses in the hose.

Can't recommend a bench top blast cabinet as I have not tried any. I imagine they are all very similar unless you are going high end. I imagine you can get the soda specific parts to retrofit to them.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby dozz » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:14 am

I bought a Clark desktop cabinet blaster, waste of money, chokes the gun very easily, the seal round the glass lid leaks grit dust, I bought it for cleaning up brake caliper carriers, useless, a wire brush and chipping hammer does a better job, it's an ornament.
dozz
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby nug » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 pm

Excellent review dozz :tup:
I won't be buying one.
nug

Postby BigBob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:51 am

I bought a Clarkes bench grinder about 30 years ago, and despite years of continuous use and abuse, it`s still trundling away.
I guess if you transfer manufacture to China quality will always suffer.
I always fancied getting a blast cabinet but couldn`t justify the space it would take up for the limited use it would get.
I certainly wont be getting one from Clarkes.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 am

Shame clarkes is not a runner. Like ye say Bob it seems some of the middle of the road decent quality stuff has switched to cheap junk.
H_Lime

Previous

Return to Chatter