back to the forum

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

back to the forum

Postby ally » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:45 pm

'sup everybody

as the title says I'm back to the forum, taken me around 4 years to get the DR750 going again, it required a loom replacement and found one in germany after a lot of searching, sadly needed modding but it's done

had my first ride out yesterday, went to my favourite local cafe in hagworthingham (lincolnshire), steak pie and a cuppa then a little tootling around getting used to the bike and thought on the way back I would have a short run down ermine street, an old roman road green lane local to me

I often take my c90 along these green lanes and have some fun so off I trot, and promptly binned it, I've only done 80 miles so not too pleased with myself

now, I have mobility issues and have an arthritic back, other health problems have left me low on muscles but I managed to pick the bike up, very pleased with myself I was, got the bike going again and promptly binned it again within a 100 meters of 'dry land'

some minor cursing, managed to get the bike upright but am now in considerable pain, some more minor cursing (ok, a lot of cursing)

had a little trouble getting back on the bike this time (this is a chore at the best of times, I've had to be lifted off before by number 1 son), but away I go

now find I'm stuck in first gear, I think I've bent the lever a little and it's hitting the cases on up change, I can get neutral and first, nothing else, so plod home the last few miles in the gutter to keep out the way

managed to get off the bike in a lot of discomfort, up with the garage door, side stand stabbed but shredded left leg (yet more cursing) and parked the bike on it's stand only to find it not there, now trapped between my c90 and the BIG

sorted myself out, got the bike upright and secure and spot the garage padlock on the floor, the floor that I can't bend down to reach anymore

yep, you've guessed it, more cursing

now numb with pain killers :tup:

very pleased to have gotten the bike back but really miffed I've buggered it up, I'll try and investigate the gear change tomorrow if I can bend then

really enjoyed the ride but don't remember the wind blast being as bad, 70mph was catching my open face lid to uncomfortable levels

I've read some previous tyre threads and will get a TKC soonest, any advice on a tail pack, would like somewhere to carry some wets

:)
ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: back to the forum

Postby nug » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Blimey. I thought you had vanished! I tried to track you down ages back but no luck. Are you still around Waddington area?

Good to hear that you are riding again. Wish I could say the same. My Big is up for sale :(
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:41 pm

Welcome back.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ally » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:05 pm

thanks all

I can move today without drugs so will check on the big tomorrow and try and sort the gear change out

need to do some more miles and get used to her again

ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby ally » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 pm

well, was a little premature on the freedom of movement but got around to checking the gear lever

there is about an inch long scar on the casing, I think my shin caught the lever as I too am wearing a battle scar, I was unable to see where the lever got bent, the lever has quite a complex curve so dropped it one spline

I dry changed the gears and all appears well, I hope to get out tomorrow to make sure all is well

the new tyre has arrived so will make sure I get that changed before going off piste again

ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby ally » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:59 am

finally managed to get out on the bike after my recent escapades

had a day trip down to caterham from lincoln to visit the folks, a trip I often do on the c90 or innova, they take about 4 hours, on the big down to 3, cambridge services works meant delays, very narrow lanes there so filtering awkward

the wind buffeting was very tiring, I've read teh 'touring' screens don't do much, any thoughts? the issue I had with the open face lid being ripped from my swede is much improved with my flip front full face, visor open no problems, ajar to vent the visor meant I couldn't breathe (!)

I need to go bash the gearlever as dropping a spline to clear the casings for upchange leaves it far too low, uncomfortably so

also have a problem with the rear brake, there is quite a lot of wear in the 'yoke' where the clevis pin goes through connecting the lever to the rear master cylinder, was a real chore during the said filtering, if anyone has one in the spares bucket please let me know

the return journey resulted in some unlit road off the A1 to home, the headlamp is a fraction low which made for some interesting dodges, apart from corrected aim are there any improvements to be made here?

annoyingly I managed to bend the fairing the indicators mount to, something else for the snag list

although I enjoyed the ride I was knackered after the ~350 mile round trip, will need to man up some

for interest the journey down manage 46mpg at around 70-80mph, is this typical, was hoping for a bit more, I'm used to 130 on the c90 and 170 mpg on the innova... :lol:

ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:39 am

You are not the only one to suffer from buffeting, and at 6ft 6 I`m higher up than most so probably suffer more.
The SR43 is better than the 41 or 42 for wind protection but you still catch a fair bit.
I have a higher screen on my 42 and it`s a bit better, so maybe this is the way to go if you can still find one
The m/cylinder yoke thingy comes with quite a length of longitudinal play from new so don`t bother buying a new one.
I picked up one from a different model which just had a 6mm hole rather than an elongated slot and drilled it to 8mm and it immediately removed any slop from the pedal.
A selection here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... acat=10063
46mpg at 70-80 is about right and if you sat at a steady 70 you would have got 50 plus mpg.
I remember coming back from Spain years ago in thick mist and or driving rain for over a thousand miles and sitting at 50-60mph managed to achieve an average of 68mpg. Boring but frugal!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ally » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:24 pm

thanks bob

the yokes are spendy little buggers! needs sorting though

cheers :)
ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby nug » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:14 pm

Well done on the long ride Ally :tup: MPG is pretty spot on for that kind of riding.

I have yet to find you some mirrors but sure they will turn up if I have any. Not sure what I have to be honest but have many bits stashed all over.
nug

Postby ally » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 am

no worries

I'll try and pop over soon for a cuppa

ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to Chatter