Nifty spin today...

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Nifty spin today...

Postby Dr Mabuse » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:31 pm

I was out for a decent spin today out West Cork and up to Kenmare, South Kerry. The little cafe there is a regular stop for brekkie & a great cup of coffee.

There were a few groups of foreign tourers out today. Unfortunately, I forgot that the Harley Tractor fest was on in Killarney so a lot of them poured over Molls Gap into Kenmare - time to escape from the leather chaps brigade...
Was very blustery over the mountains, about 230kms today. And, my new brakes transform the bike.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Mabuse
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Nifty spin today...

Postby spendango » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:37 pm

The bike looks great :tup:
spendango

Postby Deano » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 am

You were lucky I went for a spin only to encounter on Saturday it was the final ride of the Hells Angels euro run to mark the 50th anniversary of the first club in the UK as I rode down the A23 to cut off across to the downs it felt like I rode into an explosion in a denim and leather factory on a bring your ugliest bike to work day. :tup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I have my wife's permission to keep breathing!!
Deano

Postby Dr Mabuse » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:59 pm

Funny that you mention that Deano, I was talking yo a fella in the cafe whom was camping at Killarney and he mentioned the uk event. I can emphasise of how the unwashed patchclad caballeros laid by the baddest competing 'Road Captains' can spoil your spin.

Thankfully, they tend to stick to the opposite terrain a Trailie will ride so I tend not to encounter them that often. I stayed up at my mates in north Cork last night and rode back home this morning. Shoulders & neck a bit sore from yesterday so didn't rude too far.

Anyhow, I'll watch the TT later this evening with a beverage. I'd like to see Micky Dunlop get a win......
Dr Mabuse

Postby nug » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:24 pm

Blimey ...all those Harley Fergusons! At least they didn't harm you Deano.
nug

Postby Hann » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:40 am

Dr Mabuse wrote:I was out for a decent spin today out West Cork and up to Kenmare

Looks like a great area to explore on a Big.

What`s the story with the track that leads down into the lake, or have you just had more rain than usual over there!?
Hann
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr Mabuse » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:46 pm

No flood, just a little spot I use to for a pitstop....

https://maps.app.goo.gl/mzkgmhanuwhwozxt5
Dr Mabuse

Postby Dr Mabuse » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Dr Mabuse

Postby H_Lime » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Hann wrote:
Dr Mabuse wrote:I was out for a decent spin today out West Cork and up to Kenmare

Looks like a great area to explore on a Big.

What`s the story with the track that leads down into the lake, or have you just had more rain than usual over there!?

Spat me drink when i read that :clap: Yeah it piddles down here, but sure if it didnt we would be called the kinda greenish isle, rather than the Emerald Isle;)

As Dave actually uses his bikes, whereas I get to work on them whilst keeping an eye on the wee clan, I said I'd not waste the internet with a new thread. Hope ye dont mind ye baldie old bollix Dave! :angel:

As a mechanical interlude to this tale let me start by saying i pulled my plugs and rich was an understatement, so popped off the lhs tank and lowered the stock needles to position two. Worth a shot for a half hrs work i said?
Big improvement after setting fuel screw and idle. Ten minute spin on new plugs looked like this

Workable says i!

At this point i had the sidecutters poised to remove the stock rr connection and wire in the mosfet properly. Suddenly a little big bob appeared on my shoulder, slapped me round the ear and shouted "leave the feckin thing alone and ride it"
Who am i to disobey little big bobs! :wtf:

Beautiful sunny fresh day so headed into Araglin which is bermuda triangle territory, and immediatelt got lost. Excellent! Twisty empty back roads into little villages in and around the hills of Galtee Vale and knockmealdown mountains, great craic. Popped out in Ballysaggart and explored tight backroads all round.

Did not expect to travel to Waterford...
Foleys ice house circa 1900's just shy of Lismore Castle/Estates. Stunning spot dating back to 11th century alongside the Blackwater.

From Lismore over to the Trappiste Mount Melleray Abbey and back over the Vee

From here onto Mitchelstown for an icecream with the gang :D

Bike fells better than ever but I'm cautious of running potentially too hot so will book a dyno sniff. The header pipe does appear very slightly darker/bluer at the bend by the head but i couldn't sense any detonation or untoward cylinder/head noises.
What was most welcome is how much more easy the bike was to ride smoothly. Getting on and off the throttle was way easier especially mid bend. Best ever spin I've had on her i have to say.
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:53 pm

On one of my 750s it was running so rich ie black sooty plugs and 36mpg that after much experimenting I dropped the needles one clip and went down one on the main jet.
It now runs cleanly and I get 50 mpg. I think the innards of the carbs wear with time and you have to compensate.
Looks like empty countryside where you are. I`m envious. Rammed full of fukkwits in 4WD looking at their mobile round here. gggrrrrrrrrrr1
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Chatter