Nifty spin today...

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: Nifty spin today...

Postby H_Lime » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:41 am

BigBob wrote:On one of my 750s it was running so rich ie black sooty plugs and 36mpg that after much experimenting I dropped the needles one clip and went down one on the main jet.
It now runs cleanly and I get 50 mpg. I think the innards of the carbs wear with time and you have to compensate.
Looks like empty countryside where you are. I`m envious. Rammed full of fukkwits in 4WD looking at their mobile round here. gggrrrrrrrrrr1

Pulled the lhs plug
What you reckon Bob, looks ok to me. Its done 120 odd miles.
On the plug pulling I learnt you can pull the lhs side one without undressing her! Never knew. And i now also know why the fins on the oil cooler are creases over on the inside on most ones on ebay lol! I didn't damage any but i can see how one might.
Previous plugs were black out and slightly oily. Oily plugs are a bad sign but there is zero smoke out of the bike and the one above was bone dry so I'm at a loss. Also she has new oem valve seals and Dave#22 never mentioned ring or bore wear. I do put acf50 on plug threads maybe its that, i didnt on the new ones.

At what mieage did your carb wear manifest Bob? Wonder would it be wear to the needle and emulsion tube as a result of the slide and its guide wearing. Some folks add those small crank case breathers to the vent to stop dust causing the slide wear i read.

As to riding on these roads, over the three hr ride i overtook one car and that was over the vee, a sight seeing spot. I literally did not see any through Araglin and over the mountain.
The 4 by 4 phenomenon is happening here but they tend to driven by hot moms with shades ontop of thier heads and only in the cities when picking up jules and bethanny from school. Double parked of course :lol:
Get over here Bob, Dave knows his roads like no other in fairness and cohld do a big specific tour ;)
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:22 am

All my Bigs have done silly high mileages so it`s not surprising that parts wear in the carbs.
I`ve had nothing but trouble with one of them running really rich from day one and tried numerous sets of carbs and different combinations before settling for a much leaner set up.
I guess you get wear in the slides, needles and jets by the time you have 100k plus miles, but replacing all the components in two carbs on several Bigs would be absurd amounts of money so you have to live with it.
As for oil consumption, it`s negligible and I`ve never known a smoky Big.
Your plugs look to be there or thereabouts so just ride it.
I`ve been wanting to go back to Ireland for years but now I`m an ancient pensioner I can`t afford the absurd cost of accommodation, and it`s not getting any cheaper from what I hear. As for camping.......... my old bones don`t bend as well as they used to.
Miles of empty roads does sound appealing though...........
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:53 pm

BigBob wrote:All my Bigs have done silly high mileages so it`s not surprising that parts wear in the carbs.
I`ve had nothing but trouble with one of them running really rich from day one and tried numerous sets of carbs and different combinations before settling for a much leaner set up.
I guess you get wear in the slides, needles and jets by the time you have 100k plus miles, but replacing all the components in two carbs on several Bigs would be absurd amounts of money so you have to live with it.
As for oil consumption, it`s negligible and I`ve never known a smoky Big.
Your plugs look to be there or thereabouts so just ride it.
I`ve been wanting to go back to Ireland for years but now I`m an ancient pensioner I can`t afford the absurd cost of accommodation, and it`s not getting any cheaper from what I hear. As for camping.......... my old bones don`t bend as well as they used to.
Miles of empty roads does sound appealing though...........

Yeah a dyno sniff and if 90% there and no risk of detonation then it's game on and just consumables from then on.
Its such a nice bike to ride and perfect for where I live. Also you will not see another one on the road. In all my yrs I've only ever seen Daves and one other in person over here! Be good to have a few in the same spot at the same time ;)
If you lads caught the ferry into Rosslare (how far you from Pembroke?) you are on our doorstep.
Mister Mabuse knows the place well and crucially all the sensibly priced biker friendly hostels. Consider the Aug bank hol weekend. There is an awesome road race on down here...have a look.

If you wish i have a spare bed room downstairs you could avail of and room in tge garden for a few campers. Up stairs in the garage is plush enough too.
H_Lime

Postby dave#22 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:49 pm

Hi all....Colum, what happened with the big carbs from the Dutchman??? did you fit them?

Pat & I went out on my DR800 with some friends on Sunday down to Devils Bridge and then across the Elan Valley and back home on scenic roads...280miles.
Unfortunately I think Henry Coles's recent review of the Elan Valley has promoted an increase in traffic...Sunday was like a racetrack, with some bikes doing silly speeds, with day trippers, a group of Japanese sports cars and a group of single occupancy 4x4's all adding to the mayhem.
Today I went out on my DR750 with other friends over to the Peak District, which was much quieter and a pleasant day out with lunch at Longnor....110 miles.
Tomorrow, meeting up for another ride, probably over to Criccieth for a nice icecream.
Ah, the joys of retirement.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:01 pm

If you lads caught the ferry into Rosslare (how far you from Pembroke?) you are on our doorstep.

I`m 300 miles away, a good days ride.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Re: Nifty spin today.. Ferries to Ireland from UK .. Three D

Postby Dr Mabuse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:30 am

Ferries to Ireland from UK...... Three Days!

From my own experience over the years having used all the entry ports into Ireland from UK if contemplating an enjoyable trip around the south west region of Ireland, i.e. Province of Munster, you need a minimum of three days. Not two but, at least three!

By the time you board a ferry UK side and disembark upon Irish shores, get your bearings and twist your throttle you've got a 150kms +/- ride ahead of you. Then you've to repeat the same for your return leg but, with the added pressure to chase a ferry sailing off without you. So, how much actual quality time do you have left to set up camp, ride your tour, stuff yer face and fill up any remaining space in your belly with booze?

Three days required minimum or it can become a miserable tiring endeavour. OK for a young whipper-snapper but if you want to have an enjoyable experience and take it all in its three days! Oh, and sometimes we experience the odd shower or two and it can get a little damp thus slowing down your progress.

I can only but repeat YOU require 3 days minimum whereupon you can have a grand trip despite the weather.
Dr Mabuse

Postby BigBob » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:07 am

I would go for at least a week as there`s no point otherwise due to the distance involved.
Can you free camp in Ireland as I can`t afford your overpriced hotels etc?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Dr Mabuse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:27 pm

IMG_20190704_122901.jpg
IMG_20190704_122938.jpg
IMG_20190704_122823.jpg
IMG_20190704_114933.jpg
IMG_20190704_114841.jpg

I went for a longer spin than intended (180kms) to scrub in new back tyre, tired now myself. First tar melt road on centre track line of bend luckily I was going slow but, foot down and tread cut through the melt. Overgrown verges and tourists adds more caution to your spin.

Anyway Bob, you can wild camp anywhere in Ireland with usual discretion and no live fires . I've never had any trouble. Maybe advise any locals around youre pitching for the night and will leave place as you found it - gives reassurance you're not a 'Langer' as in Cork speak. Also although fewer, I regularly use hostels particularly if weather dodgy around €20 dorm €30+ for room. It can make all the difference if tired, showers, kitchen & lounge. And, travel light just a day pack.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Mabuse

Previous

Return to Chatter