Passed my MOT :)

General ramblings - no politics or religion (too boring!)

Re: Passed my MOT :)

Postby GrahamW » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Looking at the parts diagram it seems that my tank is missing spacers and rubber supports where the back of it bolts to the frame under the seat. It just has two bolts with washers metal to metal, this must be why I am feeling the vibes through the tank so I better get those bits.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:27 pm

20/50 is not a good idea. Clutch will likely slip and you may reduce flow to the head which is critical on these bikes. Stick with 10/40. Like Bob says, semi syn motor oil is fine. I buy a 20ltr drum of 10/40 which does all my bikes and cars except for the wifes motor. Never had a an issue with it and always change between 1500 and 2000 miles.

Deffo need the rubbers on the tank :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby GrahamW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 am

Cheers ordered the rubbers, spacers and bolts from Fowlers would have used Robinsons but was on the computer so could just type the part numbers in and they had stock. Should help with the buzzy vibes.

Another slight worry and I might be imagining it as its so slight is I keep detecting a starship enterprise type red alert circular rubbing sound, barely detectable and comes and goes. Maybe wheel bearings need grease after sitting so long.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby dave#22 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:19 am

Triple QX do a mineral 15W40 and I generally use that, I think I paid around £13 for 5L when the have an offer on. I do use their semi 10w40 in the little bikes and the cars though.
I used to work for Ford and with employee discount I could get Ford 20W50 engine oil (made by Texaco) for about £8 for 5L and used that for years with no issues, until they stopped putting it in cars and went to thinner oils and semi synthetics.
As someone once said...any oil is better than no oil.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:02 pm

I might get some of that 15w40 mineral when it comes on offer at euro car parts then sounds a good idea. I did notice the 10w40 semi synth stuff seemed to gush out like water when I drained it out of the hot engine maybe the mineral oil will work better.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:43 am

GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:08 am

API categories of CC & CF relate to oil suitable for diesel engines pre 1990.
I`ve not heard of that brand but at a guess I would say it`s American and not suitable for Jap bikes but old trucks.
Anyway, Amazon are a bunch of kuntz and we shouldn`t give them our money.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:53 am

Right about Amazon setting up all those robotic warehouses putting people out of work and destroying small shops, I don’t buy a lot from them now going to get some of this today as its on offer and do another oil and filter change as done 500 miles since the last one. Going to try the 15w40 mineral Dave suggested as mineral oil might quiet down my tappets can hear them ticking over the exhaust especially after bikes being going an hour or so. Royal Enfield is the same but its normal for them.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car- ... gJTTvD_BwE
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Previous

Return to Chatter