Website problem

Questions / discussions on this website and/or it´s features.

Website problem

Postby BigBob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:31 am

Well, we seem to have become so popular, with so many visitors from far and wide, that we have had formal notification from our server that we are in danger of exceeding our bandwidth.
We get a monthly allowance of so many gb and if we reach that before the end of the month then the site will essentially freeze and become inactive for a few days, or something like that anyway.
So we are looking at several alternatives, all of which will cost £££
That we move to a new host with more capacity is a definite, it`s just a matter of how do we pay for it and whether we want the site to remain in its present format or change for bigger and better.
As it is, this site is about as good as you can get really in terms of behaviour, for which we are all grateful.
Everyone here is friendly and helpful, with just a moderate amount of good natured teasing and joking, without any of the unpleasantness and trolling you can experience on the interweb.
I can honestly say we have not had a single post where Knobby or myself have had to take action, so well done everyone. Biggies are clearly best!
Anyway, there are several options available to try and raise a few £££ towards the running of the site.
We could add a Paypal donate button, which I`m not desperately keen on, nor am I favouring the idea of a subscription to the site.
However, it does cost money to run the site and it`s in short supply in my house, due to madam thinking that yet another bloody pair of shoes is more important than replacing bald tyres. I`m sure most of you have one of them as well ;)
Another option is to run some Google ads to help with funds. They would be bike, bike services or bike clothing related only, so none of the nonsense that you get on Facebook for example, but it could help to raise a few bob.
The site at present is Big specific, but I`m acutely aware that there really isn`t a proper forum for other DR owners (apart from ADV which is essentially USA based ) so I`m thinking of having other sections for the 650, 600, 400, 350 etc.
Helpul suggestions and comments welcome :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Re: Website problem

Postby knobblywobbly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:55 pm

BigBob wrote: They would be bike, bike services or bike clothing related only, so none of the nonsense that you get on Facebook for example, but it could help to raise a few bob.

I've looked into this and unfortunately you can't be that specific, so you will get "mature dating", "gamble your life away you loser", etc. etc. No way round it I'm afraid.

BigBob wrote:
The site at present is Big specific, but I`m acutely aware that there really isn`t a proper forum for other DR owners (apart from ADV which is essentially USA based ) so I`m thinking of having other sections for the 650, 600, 400, 350 etc.

I've done that already................. Keep up Bob! ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How much is the fish?
knobblywobbly
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:16 pm

I for one as a regular would be happy to donate. The problem I think will be getting enough people other than the main contributors to get hands in pockets. Ads could be a pain in the arse. Got enough spam in my life right now as some of you know :tdown:
We could stand Bob with a one eyed Jack Russel in his local shopping centre rattling a box if all else fails :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby Longman » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 pm

On the XRV forum, there is the option to subscribe (£10.00 I think) and that lets you into all the bits you want to see, but cant, if you haven't subscribed. I'd be OK with that on here. Just a thought !
Longman

Postby spendango » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:11 pm

Bob you could sell me a few of your BIGS at a knock down price and then donate the money to running the site free for us :tup: OR NUG COULD MASS PRODUCE HIS DOUBLE SCREEN AND FLOG THEM I can hardly type for laughing :lolno: :lol: :lol: :lol: A better idea would be either a yearly fee or free members are limited to certain parts of the site and paying members can access all of the site like posting ads and techical help.
spendango

Postby nug » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Oi Spendangle .... I will come round & mass produce something on your carpet if you keep taking the piss out of my FRANKENSCREEN :evil:
nug

Postby spendango » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:49 pm

nug wrote:Oi Spendangle .... I will come round & mass produce something on your carpet if you keep taking the piss out of my FRANKENSCREEN :evil:

:lol: couldn"t help myself :lol:
spendango

Postby BigBob » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:26 pm

I've looked into this and unfortunately you can't be that specific, so you will get "mature dating", "gamble your life away you loser", etc. etc. No way round it I'm afraid.

Bugger that as I bloody hate ads at the best of times, so that`s out then.
I`m definitely not selling any Bigs either, so there!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Bob how much are we talking a year hundreds or thousands
spendango

Postby knobblywobbly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:41 pm

It's not much, only £50 per year. That should see us with enough bandwidth for a few years worth of growth.

Sent from my ST21i using Tapatalk 2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How much is the fish?
knobblywobbly
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to Website