Website problem

Questions / discussions on this website and/or it´s features.

Re: Website problem

Postby spendango » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:37 pm

Bob i will show you what they are like when i get them ,If they are shit i will keep them for my own head :?
spendango
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby ladder106 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 pm

I'd be happy to help with donation, subscription, assessment, whatever you want to call it.

As a suggestion......how would it sit if you were to restrict the PHOTOs to paying members only. Kinda like what happens when you forget to log in.

Non payers could still get assistance (easily at first and maybe with a bit of reluctance later) but would not be able so see photos. We all love photos and they can be very helpful when faced with a technical problem. Don't know that much about web sites and such but don't photos suck up a lot of space. This would restrict huge use by those not willing to contribute but also allow some access.

Can you guys accept money with that Obama guys face on it?

OK...I'm IN. A few "bob" coming to Bob.
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:31 pm

I dunno...i differ with that philosophy, the stick approach.
If it was up to me (which it aint just playing the imo game here...) let those who want to donate do so and vice versa without limiting the site for newbies who may well become part of the furniture and go on to donate at some stage. Limiting the site, well just limits the site.

From my pov i dont need or want any recognition nor reward for donating. When i rebuilt my bike i did a rebuild thread which was the source of much info, advice and inspiration in getting the job done. To not to donate would be rude and im happy to, if i were to repay Bob/Nug/Spen/Resi et al with booze for the advice/ideas id be broke :lol:

If i may proffer an idea re any extra few quid that may or may not arise... :shift:
What about using it (in some manner...) to organsise a yearly DR Big meeting? I think theres enough popularity with them over here UK and Europe to attract decent numbers.
From the viewpoint of the yearly Llandovery capo meeting i can see a Big meet in mid summer being a success if it had some publicity of some sort (cross forum/email flyer etc). Id travel to it, well if i get a pass lol.
H_Lime

Postby Longman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:07 am

I'd be up for a DR w/end. Anywhere you like , in the uk.

I personally like my new bit of fame.
Longman

Postby knobblywobbly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 am

We thought a lot about whether to restrict certain features of the forum (such as pictures, PM’s, etc) to those people who donate, but decided that we’d rather leave the forum with its current features available for everyone as that’s what they’ve had for the last few years.

Instead we will look at what additional features we can offer those who do donate. As a couple of examples, we can offer those who donate a free yourname@drbig.info pop3 email account with webmail facilities, and I’m also looking at being able to have your own personal gallery to upload pics to. We’ll add other stuff as we think of it too, so keep your eye on the new “Site Supporters” section of the forum.

As for an annual DRBig meet, do you really think we’d have the numbers to make this happen? I know Bob has tried to arrange normal Sunday meets with little or no success. Maybe a fresh thread in the “Travel” section is in order.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
How much is the fish?
knobblywobbly
Admin
Admin

Postby BigBob » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 am

I concur with the Right Honourable Member for Cork in that I don`t want to place any restrictions on anyone regarding the website.
When I set it up it was with the view that it would be a forum for the few hardy souls mostly in the UK with Bigs, to meet, chat, share views and parts, all in a climate of peace and love, with just a modicum of piss-taking.
In that respect it`s been an overwhelming success and everyone who`s contributed has done so in a very positive way.
Sure we all have opinions, and occasionally we agree to disagree, but it`s all been fairly grown up and friendly and sets a good tone for anyone else who joins.
We now have members all over the world, who are all welcome, some of whom frequent the ADV site as well. I`ve tried to make this site different, with a different format, as it`s so easy to lose track among the zillion threads on the ADV site.
A huge thanks to all who have chipped in with a few £/$ as it means we can hopefully become bigger and better.
So I guess the message is carry on as normal

As for having a Big meet, well, we did try that once.
Four people turned up altogether, me, KW, Ray (very nice man but lost the plot and sold his Big to buy a BMW :o ) and Ian (whose barbecued Big has occasionally graced these pages)
OK, we now have more forum members who are more familiar with each other, but I can`t see us ever putting together anything other than a small gathering anytime soon.
I`m too busy putting on OTT trips to France (which involve a great deal of planning but invariably involve getting very lost and riding down lots of muddy trails in endless forest) to be able to devote any time to a Big w/e.
If someone wants to volunteer then go for it.
I would suggest it`s kept very simple, just sat/sun and not July or August when prices are sky high due to the kids holidays.
Didn`t our Hibernian contingent mutter about some sort of Oirish meet? I`d be up for that.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:52 pm

knobblywobbly wrote:As for an annual DRBig meet, do you really think we’d have the numbers to make this happen? I know Bob has tried to arrange normal Sunday meets with little or no success. Maybe a fresh thread in the “Travel” section is in order.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1505
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:50 pm

I think Bob should make a crazy good investment with all the capital he now has in his hands.

Make thousands and then hire a liner to transport all of you to the States. We could do a lap 'round the country and ride the Utah and Nevada desert a bit. :tup:

Just think what an improvement we'd make to the local pubs.

Thanks for adding to my "helmet" collection

I hope you don't feel like you're in competition with the ADV site. I love them both and they have just a bit of a different feel. Both are good well mannered places to share stuff.

But here ....... I get to practice my English
Last edited by ladder106 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ladder106

Postby spendango » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:53 pm

ladder106 wrote:I think Bob should make a crazy good investment with all the capital he now has in his hands.

Make thousands and then hire a liner to transport all of you to the States. We could do a lap 'round the country and ride the Utah and Nevada desert a bit. :tup:

Just think what an improvement we'd make to the local pubs.

Thanks for adding to my "helmet" collection

I hope you don't feel like you're in competition with the ADV site. I love them both and they had just a bit of a different feel. Both are good places to share stuff.
:tup:

But here ....... I get to practice my English

:tup: :tup:
spendango

Postby nug » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:01 pm

Ladder, I would love to ride the desert mate. Always been a dream of mine to do...both on a bike & in a Wagoneer :tup:
nug

PreviousNext

Return to Website