dr big carbs

Questions / discussions on this website and/or it´s features.

dr big carbs

Postby warderman2000 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:15 pm

is there a company out there that anyone would recommend to strip and and refurb cards?
warderman2000

Re: dr big carbs

Postby BigBob » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm

There`s not a great deal you can do to go wrong with these carbs as they are quite simple to work on. If they are set up as per the manual they should work perfectly..............in theory ;)
There certainly no one I could recommend who will sort them out apart from myself as I know them inside out.
Just what is the problem anyway and where are you?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby cazrally91 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 pm

any bike shop will sort them out for you mate you should try your self like bob said there not much you can do wrong and you will save the $$$$$$$$$
cazrally91

Postby denzily » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi I am new to this site and I am not sure if anyone will get this message but the problem I have is as follows.
I have newly purchased a dr 800 coz I have been wanting one for ages but it has been standing for a couple of years and ibought it as a none runner of a nice chap who tells me it was running when he stood it up .I have had carbs off and cleaned jets the bike runs fine on tick over but when I open the throttle the bike pops and bangs and won't rev any ideas would be great .I have not put fresh feul in yet as it ticks over fine .help please
denzily

Postby eggsontoast » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:14 pm

To the thread's OP; where are you based?

denzily wrote:Hi I am new to this site and I am not sure if anyone will get this message but the problem I have is as follows.
I have newly purchased a dr 800 coz I have been wanting one for ages but it has been standing for a couple of years and ibought it as a none runner of a nice chap who tells me it was running when he stood it up .I have had carbs off and cleaned jets the bike runs fine on tick over but when I open the throttle the bike pops and bangs and won't rev any ideas would be great .I have not put fresh feul in yet as it ticks over fine .help please
warderman2000 wrote:is there a company out there that anyone would recommend to strip and and refurb cards?

Hi chap, first things first make sure your throttle pull/return cables are within spec, then adjust the idle from the (butterfly) adjuster screw until your reading around about 1200-1400RPM on the tacho; then adjust the idle (air/fuel) mixture screw so that it does not pop and bang and bang with a closed throttle; i.e: turning the screw clockwise would lean her out and turning anti-clockwise would do the opposite I find the best setting is to run her rich so that on the overrun (throttle shut) the engine gargles, if it's lean it'll sound like a fart-box and in doing so will make the engine run lean and burn your valves.

HTH

PAT
eggsontoast

Postby BigBob » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:06 am

Petrol has a shelf life of 6-8 weeks and after this it degrades very quickly and will give the symptoms you describe.
If you have fuel that is at least 2 years old I`m not surprised it is misbehaving.
Drain the old fuel and dispose of it and fill up with superunleaded to get optimum performance before tearing the carbs apart as I`m sure it will sort it out.
Last year in France we filled up at an isolated petrol station where the fuel must have been way past its sell by date and I popped and banged my way through the next 150 miles before filling up again with good stuff which cured it. Ticked over fine just like yours, but any throttle just caused lurching and misfiring which wasn`t much fun for the six bikes following me all day.
It also only did 32mpg against the usual 55mpg. Never had this problem with good old leaded petrol
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Lurching & misfiring in France....all part of the fun Bob :tup:
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby denzily » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 pm

Ok thanks boys and big bob I will try changing the old fuel for fresh stuff .Got my hopes up now that someone else ( big bob) has had the exact problems that I have explaned plus I have got some new super dooper spark plugs on order from america at a price of £19 each ouch . I will post back as soon as I get chance to let you know what the outcome is .Cheers lads
denzily

Return to Website