Luggage rack

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Luggage rack

Postby H_Lime » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:13 am

So far so good. Seems very sturdy when all torqued up.
Can clearance is a deal with these tho especially in width. I'm touching but am relatively confident i can twiddle everything to make a gap.
Fit and finish is very good and well thought out. If you stray from his fitting instructions omitting a spacer or the like and the whole dealio gets out of whack.
One criticism is on the second pic that weld is not matched underneath with another for some reason. It is below on the lower loop but maybe theres a reason?
Overall these get the thumbs up and are sturdy enough to easily take ally panniers and are great value for money :tup:
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:14 am

:tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Fitted the 2nd hand oem rack i got off ebay. Had it coated as the original one was slightly bent. Made a new hanger that tweaked the can up and in about 5mm so theres clearance now.
Loctited every bolt as this machine seems to loosen any bolt without it.

For a hundred quid i think this is fantastic value and fits the bike great. Cant wait to receive my lomo throw overs and get her out for a camping run when time allows.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:37 pm

They look really good. Chuck a picture up with the throw overs on mate :tup:
nug

Postby H_Lime » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:21 pm

Will do nug :tup: . reviews say effective and rugged on the bags.

Yeah so far so good. The only concern I have is why he didn't have a second weld underneath the vertical part behind the top loop. In fact I'd like to have seen him follow the weld right the way round...?
Not being anything approaching a welder I'm not equipped to be definitive on this, any thoughts Nug?
Thinking logically and remembering the similar mounts on my old 990adv and how the panniers attached... the lower end of the loop bears the entire weight of the pannier and the top one only holds the pannier in against the frame. Maybe that's all thats needed?

Anyway, Lomo throw overs aint gona stress it and they're very solid/well exectuted, fit well and are cheap.

Pulled the carbs out
And am awaiting these from O.R.
A stock and 36mm set. Eager to see how they pan out. Eager to get away on the bike for a bit when life allows so having it ready is key.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:56 pm

Not sure why he has not welded further mate. It is not likely to be an issue in that position as the hoop is welded at the bottom of the vertical tube. Would be a different story if the bottom was not supported. It would fracture in no time with the vibes. That weld itself should be plenty strong enough for anything that will go on the racks I imagine? Keep an eye on it if you end up clocking up many loaded miles.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:50 pm

nug wrote:Not sure why he has not welded further mate. It is not likely to be an issue in that position as the hoop is welded at the bottom of the vertical tube. Would be a different story if the bottom was not supported. It would fracture in no time with the vibes. That weld itself should be plenty strong enough for anything that will go on the racks I imagine? Keep an eye on it if you end up clocking up many loaded miles.

Heya Nug
Milosz got back after seeing this thread and assures it's strong enough but will replace it if its gives way.
I dont imagine it will and it's propbably more an optics issue rather than structural one :crazy: Eother way I'll keep my eye on it.

The lomo bags arrived and as you can see I'm fully prepped for an (imaginary) rtw trip. Dakar dunes and the altiplano beckon :lol:
Bags seem sturdy. Seam welding is sound so should be waterproof and materials are stout. I think for under sixty quid for the bags and a tonne for the frames you'd be mad not to.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:48 pm

Looks a good setup mate. Not overly wide as well which is a bonus. keep us posted on how the bags perform.
nug

Previous

Return to DR750