Unusual fault....

Questions regarding the DR750

Unusual fault....

Postby dave#22 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Took my DR750 out for a run around North Wales yesterday...good fun...but the roads were filthy with gravel and mud, so I washed the bike when I got home, went in for a cuppa, then went back out to wipe it down and the rear light appeared to be on, so I pushed it in the garage, shut the door, turned off the lights and the LED tail light was on.
The front LED parking (side) light was not on, so I thought the only way to get a supply to the 'side' lights would be from the ignition switch, so switched to 'park' and both lights came on, switched to 'off' and there was still a faint light from the tail light, I checked the voltage from the switch in the off position and it had 0.7 volts going to the side lights!
So today I removed the switch, cleaned the external contacts, flushed it with WD40 and it was still the same, so I phoned Robinsons for a new switch...£102.45 before Bob's discount!!!! with 4-5 days delivery, so I ordered one from CMS and saved about £10.
I can't really complain, the bike is 31yrs old and the switch is original.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Re: Unusual fault....

Postby nug » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 pm

That's a very expensive switch!
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 am

Anything that is electrical from Suzuki is firkin expensive. :crazy:
The DR750 switch is identical to the TS125R switch, which has a slightly shorter lead but still works fine.
You can get these on Ebay for less than £20. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS-12 ... SwdWldZXrs
I always seal the back of the switch with silicone sealant to prevent corrosion before installation
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby dave#22 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

By a strange coincidence...a few weeks back, we did a five day tour of Wales on little bikes and on the first day one bike started misfiring (Chinese copy of a Honda CL70), then on the second day would not idle (weak spark), so we assumed a failing CDI and put it on the breakdown trailer.
At the end of the week, I had a look at it at home and the CDI was fine, it was the ignition switch going to earth weakening the spark...I replaced the switch (£2.08p) and it fired up straight away... :tup:
Bob...thanks for the info on the switch...maybe next time :lolno:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby bigrob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Got to say Bob, you know your stuff.......ever thought of working at a Suzuki dealership :lol:

And thank you for helping us all out with 'stuff' !
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 pm

ever thought of working at a Suzuki dealership :lol:

I did back in the day
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm

BigBob wrote:Anything that is electrical from Suzuki is firkin expensive. :crazy:
The DR750 switch is identical to the TS125R switch, which has a slightly shorter lead but still works fine.
You can get these on Ebay for less than £20. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS-12 ... SwdWldZXrs
I always seal the back of the switch with silicone sealant to prevent corrosion before installation

Bought that, mine is goosed. Thanks as ever Bob :wave: :tup:
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm

DR600 switch on my 750. Just needed to swap a wire in the plug if I remember correctly? Been in there a good few years now.
nug

Postby dave#22 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:23 am

Hi Bob, bikes's up and running again, I ordered a TS125 switch, fitted it and it's fine...in fact the shorter cable suits the bike better as I'm using a DR600 headlight and cover.
I'll keep the expensive original as a spare (when it arrives) as I've got two other 750's that use the same switch. :tup:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am

:tup: :tup:
The DR750 switch is the same on the 88 and 89 models.
However, the 89 model has a much longer loom on it as it connects to the plug under the tanks rather than behind the headlight as on the 88 model.
As I`m sure you know, the handlebar switches are different on the 88 and 89 models.
It`s worth coating the rear of the ignition switch in clear sealant to keep the moisture out as they are prone to corrosion and water ingress, and with the live contact sitting next to the earth contact, this can lead to the bike suddenly conking out, as I found out in a deluge on the Belgian motorway many many years ago. I had a 44 tonner right behind me at the time so was definitely squeaky bum time :o
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Next

Return to DR750