Unusual fault....

Questions regarding the DR750

Unusual fault....

Postby dave#22 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Took my DR750 out for a run around North Wales yesterday...good fun...but the roads were filthy with gravel and mud, so I washed the bike when I got home, went in for a cuppa, then went back out to wipe it down and the rear light appeared to be on, so I pushed it in the garage, shut the door, turned off the lights and the LED tail light was on.
The front LED parking (side) light was not on, so I thought the only way to get a supply to the 'side' lights would be from the ignition switch, so switched to 'park' and both lights came on, switched to 'off' and there was still a faint light from the tail light, I checked the voltage from the switch in the off position and it had 0.7 volts going to the side lights!
So today I removed the switch, cleaned the external contacts, flushed it with WD40 and it was still the same, so I phoned Robinsons for a new switch...£102.45 before Bob's discount!!!! with 4-5 days delivery, so I ordered one from CMS and saved about £10.
I can't really complain, the bike is 31yrs old and the switch is original.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Re: Unusual fault....

Postby nug » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 pm

That's a very expensive switch!
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:56 am

Anything that is electrical from Suzuki is firkin expensive. :crazy:
The DR750 switch is identical to the TS125R switch, which has a slightly shorter lead but still works fine.
You can get these on Ebay for less than £20. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS-12 ... SwdWldZXrs
I always seal the back of the switch with silicone sealant to prevent corrosion before installation
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby dave#22 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:12 pm

By a strange coincidence...a few weeks back, we did a five day tour of Wales on little bikes and on the first day one bike started misfiring (Chinese copy of a Honda CL70), then on the second day would not idle (weak spark), so we assumed a failing CDI and put it on the breakdown trailer.
At the end of the week, I had a look at it at home and the CDI was fine, it was the ignition switch going to earth weakening the spark...I replaced the switch (£2.08p) and it fired up straight away... :tup:
Bob...thanks for the info on the switch...maybe next time :lolno:
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby bigrob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:17 pm

Got to say Bob, you know your stuff.......ever thought of working at a Suzuki dealership :lol:

And thank you for helping us all out with 'stuff' !
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:05 pm

ever thought of working at a Suzuki dealership :lol:

I did back in the day
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm

BigBob wrote:Anything that is electrical from Suzuki is firkin expensive. :crazy:
The DR750 switch is identical to the TS125R switch, which has a slightly shorter lead but still works fine.
You can get these on Ebay for less than £20. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS-12 ... SwdWldZXrs
I always seal the back of the switch with silicone sealant to prevent corrosion before installation

Bought that, mine is goosed. Thanks as ever Bob :wave: :tup:
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm

DR600 switch on my 750. Just needed to swap a wire in the plug if I remember correctly? Been in there a good few years now.
nug

Return to DR750