Postby H_Lime » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Yokes a monster Nug, 1.2kg, tool for life :tup:
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby nug » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Yep weld it up mate :tup:

Cant beat a good yoke mate. Its a tool alright. Carry it with you on rides so that you can bludgeon blind f*%kers that pull out on you :crazy:
nug

Postby H_Lime » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:12 pm

nug wrote:Yep weld it up mate :tup:

Cant beat a good yoke mate. Its a tool alright. Carry it with you on rides so that you can bludgeon blind f*%kers that pull out on you :crazy:

It's proper weighty all right, looking forward to using it or wallopin someone with it :lol:

Had a crack off welding up those two notches...
One notch a quarter turn around also

And now we have
This.
O. 2mm of a difference in diameter is the worst I could measure. The real test was putting a new pad over it and seeing did it wobble more or less and after some massaging it's the same. Very soft metal, quenched the welds. Hopefully it's harder now.
Happy with that. I hope it doesn't prove me wrong :lolno:
H_Lime

Postby nug » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Tidy mate :tup:
nug

Postby H_Lime » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:24 pm

Cheers Nug, a first for me that :wtf: Used a short 2mm stick and placed the welds as accurately as possible. Coloured the shaft with marker and filedjust the weld till it was dressed down. I then chucked it into the pillar drill on low rpm to finish her. Risky craic that.
Whole deal took an hr but was fun :D

There's a fair few means by which this caliper can sh1tl the bed when you think about it. Any of the three sliding pins can cause bother nevermind the pistons. The spring design is such that there's not a whole heap of pad retention on the pad nearest the pistons and if the same happens on the outside one there's more scope for notching that shaft. I bent the spring plate to better retain them. I'd say at some point it was put in wrong way round and bent by a someone trying to install the pads with it this way. They're nice and secure now.
Anyone ever fit a small two piston opposed caliper out of interest?
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 am

Looks like it`s coming on nicely, and it`s certainly worth doing properly.
That rear caliper works fantastically well when it is set up correctly but is prone to seizing up.
As you say, the sliding pins seem to dry out and stick despite using proper caliper grease (don`t use ordinary grease as it causes the rubber to swell and bind)
The dust seals in the pistons seem to bind at any opportunity as they suffer from a build up of aluminium oxide behind them which pushes them against the piston.
As I have several spare rear calipers, I`ve taken to having a couple of them rebuilt with new seals and swap them over every Spring as they tend to seize up riding through salty roads in the winter
You can`t have an opposed piston caliper as it would foul the spokes.
They built the caliper bracket to position it well back aft of the axle so it didn`t hit the OE silencer on compression
]
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby bigrob » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:37 pm

Good work H_L
Got to srtp both my calipers down. Not looked at them yet, so I'm hoping the same hasn't happened to mine.
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
Regular
Regular

Postby H_Lime » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:33 pm

BigBob wrote:Looks like it`s coming on nicely, and it`s certainly worth doing properly.
That rear caliper works fantastically well when it is set up correctly but is prone to seizing up.
As you say, the sliding pins seem to dry out and stick despite using proper caliper grease (don`t use ordinary grease as it causes the rubber to swell and bind)
The dust seals in the pistons seem to bind at any opportunity as they suffer from a build up of aluminium oxide behind them which pushes them against the piston.
As I have several spare rear calipers, I`ve taken to having a couple of them rebuilt with new seals and swap them over every Spring as they tend to seize up riding through salty roads in the winter
You can`t have an opposed piston caliper as it would foul the spokes.
They built the caliper bracket to position it well back aft of the axle so it didn`t hit the OE silencer on compression
]

Great idea with swapping for a spare and refurb over a drink on the kitchen table with herself scowling on :lol:
I added that last bit for a touch of realism.
Must keep an eye out for one.

That wasn't silicone lube I used Bob twas castrol lithium multi purpose. You have me concerned enough to clean it out and bung some in yeah?
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:35 pm

bigrob wrote:Good work H_L
Got to srtp both my calipers down. Not looked at them yet, so I'm hoping the same hasn't happened to mine.

Rob here's hoping yours aren't as furry as mine :o :)
Have you a timescale you want to have her back on the road for?
H_Lime

Postby bigrob » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:47 pm

Yes, H,
Ready for the summer. I want to ride to Plymouth (40 mins) and get the Cherboug ferry and check out all the War mamarials involved in the invasion for the second WW.
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to DR750