Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Sat May 16, 2020 11:02 pm

Notags, the ff decals were redrawn by a talented graphic designer mate. Can get the file off him and email to you, any vinyl printing/wrap company could print them off for you then.
First spin is daunting, I'm apprehensive about the carbs as these are 800 carbs rejected to suit a 750 with the mods I have as best as I could research. I think it's quite likely I may be doing the jet swaparoo craic, time will tell.
How's your own steed treating ya?

Ladder I bet your the only fella asking me for more photos lol. I'm kinda obsessive about charting my build progress, failures too. I do it because I've learnt a lot from this site and the folks who take time to share info. If I'm good at anything its archiving others good advice and implementing it so why not do the same. Its funny as it was nine yrs ago almost to the month I had a bare frame with engine in it and I couldn't remember how best to proceed to build it up with a view to transition from engine stand to wheels and onto centre stand. My obsessive pics from the previous build thread bailed me out.

BigRob I'm sure she'll breeze through the mot. If I was an mot tester and saw her roll in the door I'd be pleased to examine her knowing all the wearing items were replaced. Do they fail you for noisy exhausts over there?
Yeah I'd say ye lot will be out en mass post lockdown. Stay away from the herd man!

No big progress as threw the back out lifting the lump. Been fooked a week. Could barely work, only coming good now. Didn't realise I'd shagged it till the next day and it wasn't right. In my younger days I'd have shrugged this off, in fact I wouldn't have been injured at all.

As discussed earlier she's poised for being set on her own two feet now she's aloft. Myself and a mate horsed her up.

Had omitted to fill them. 445ml and 7 inch air gap with springs out, fork bled and compressed. I left the intiminators in as that seemed correct, Ray?
My handy dandy bomebrew tool to the rescue once more.

Hesslers Pro Grip gators while a tad short are quality items and a damn good colour match. Reused the mounting hardware after cleaning them up.
I reinstated the fork to oem height with the stanchion tops to the top of the top yoke (triple clamp). The fork tops were previously about 12 mm proud so front end lowered.
I intend using all the oem routing aids mounted off the yokes for the brake line and speedo cable etc. These were given a clean and polish also. Top yoke was painted the night before. The rubber isolating dampers are as new thank god as they were mega bucks iirc.

The bars I'm very happy with. The manual states you should align the wee dot alongside the lhs clamping gap. They seem nice and centered and match the engine colour and are thankfully not bent.

Anyway in short things are taking an age as I'm being pretty damn fastidious about putting her back together. I've learnt a bit in 9 yrs and whike anyone can throw the bits back on I'm being more anal than usual about cable and loom routing/clamping, fasteners, and working clean. If I haven't buggered the engine with my attempts this stands to be a very nice machine if I do say so (pride before a fall!) so don't wanna screw that up.
As she was so complete and original.

Can anyone tell me if the exact oem front brake line routing is achievable with a braided line? I wish to use all the mounting hardware and am unsure if a braided line can take some of the acute bends the rubber oem one does?
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby bigrob » Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 pm

You sir, have a huge workshop.
Anyway, my pipe is not loud, so no problem during MOT testing. I think it has euro markings.
I'm thinking I may have to get me DR800 big, to go alongside the DR little.
Your bike is coming along nicely.
Well done fella.
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Wed May 20, 2020 10:42 pm

BigRob, the garage is a good size but it always feels like it's shrinking.

A few baby steps, changing all fuel hosing.

The superceded hoses need trimming down to length. Amazing how stiff the old hoses are in comparison to the pliable new ones.
Next up will be replace the tank to petcock to quick release and the quick release pieces themselves with Hesslers ones.

The loom looked ropey but on closer inspection it's actually pretty good, just filthy due to the stunningly lazy oversight in not sealing the underseat/electrics area by Suzuki day one.
The bend on the loom adjacent the rr plug which is well exposed had its tape eroded and some wires exposed (not bare though).
Upon peeling this back to remove krud to re wrap I noticed two sloppily wrapped wires in blue tape. Unwrapped them to investigate if they were P.O. bodges but they're factory, covering crimps. I was tempted to solder them before re wrapping but remembered Nugs words of wisdom about embrittlement. As these were on a bend I covered them in dielectric grease, wrapped them and rewrapped the whole area in self amalgamating tape.

Cleaned all connectors with isopropyl and then coated them in acf50. The looms ready to rock but I threw on the the plumbed carbs, pump and air box.

I mimicked the factory padding on my power coated battery box. Used the seat covering foam which is high density 3mm and closed cell (non absorbent). I had spray adhesive which was dead handy.
Hope to fit the loom tomo. Once that's on I should really boogie.

H_Lime

Postby bigrob » Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 am

Looking good. Amazing how similar some thing on the Big are to the DR Little.

MOT 11.15 Saturday for me, then I'm riding my 650 (shame it's not a big) :D
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby ladder106 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Yup.....Intiminators in before measuring oil level.

Love your shop.....you’ve got a great view and a wind chime - Nice. Also other projects in process so looks like mine.

Carb work on the Blackbird? You come to really appreciate singles after servicing a row of 4 of those buggers. Only thing worse is 4 set in a “V” as on my Pan (ST1100).....well....ok...the 6 of them on a CBX when the entire engine has to be tilted forward just to remove them and then you discover they are, in fact, in a slight “V” arrangement after all.

I was a bit disappointed however cause the photo wasn’t good enough for me to see how good of a shot you are.

Looks great......if you can, shoot a photo of Stefans fuel quick connector. I finally found the actual Suzuki part listed under Suzuki Marine parts. Same PN as for the motorcycles. Stefans is likely an improvement however.

The fork boots will stretch a bit to the top. Once the machine is on the ground it won’t be a problem.

You very well may have to find an alternate path for the braided brake line. I won’t bend like the standard line does. Worth it for the improvement in feel.

The “Full Floater” decal reminded me of a book I just read.....An Inventor’s Life by Don Richardson (small paperback about $12 USD on Amazon). Don is the guy who actually adapted and patented the rising rate rear suspension concept for motorcycles. The book talks about his life and the 10 you span of litigation Suzuki forced him to endure before he was able to be paid for his patent. Lost lots of respect for Suzuki over that one. Quick read but good. Recommended. If anyone has plans to patent any invention, I’d call it required reading.

Lately I’ve been working on a Christini 2-wheel drive motorcycle for a friend who is franctically trying to save his business and has no time for wrench spinning.

It’s an interesting concept and I haven’t been able to ride it yet so no use report.

All the 2WD parts are very well machined and built- but - in order to make the machine meet a reasonable price point, the basic bike is (I believe) an Asia Wing....which it a Chinese copy (likely without proper license) of a Honda CRF 450.

My local shop and mechanic absolutely refuses to work on Chinese motorcycles and I now have first hand experience with why. In short it lures you down the rabbit hole. All the fasteners are very low quality and all the holes for mounting parts are just about 1 mm off. You remove a bolt holding 2 or more bits together...those bits spring apart because they are not exactly built correctly in the first place....then it takes you 30 minutes of fiddling about to get that one bolt to align correctly and go back into place. I’ve thrown up my hands in despair 4 times now - went back into the house and had a beer. Overall build quality I’d rate as “one star”.

Difficult to describe but at this point I’d recommend staying far away if anyone is thinking about a Chinese machine.

Keep up the photo essay....looks really good
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Sun May 24, 2020 12:41 am

BigRob, good luck with the inspection mate, she'll sail through I'm guessing. I'd imagine a big failure point that's often overlooked can be play in the rear linkage and you have that comprehensively squared away.
Have you an interest in adding a big to the stable?

Ray, how goes things in your own garage? The @ I assume is well sorted now. Did the carbs require much work? Have you had her on a dyno for a sniff? Is motolab nearby? Iirc you said no in the past.
How goes the 800!?
Garages as a space are a strange and very representative space for a lot of motorcyclists I think. An author I have read a lot of, Peter Egan said the same in one of his books. For me it's a messy but functional zen garden always full of Dad's strange music and visits from the kids:)

The blackbird needs petcock rebuild, carb needle valves, needle valve seats polished and new o rings, float heights set, and balance.
She hydrolocked cyl three.
No damage done as I twigged it and did nothing stupid thankfully. Oil is drained and will be flushed multi times with filters too. She never ran post incontinence. No overflow facility on her which annoys but it will kot be happening again that's for sure.
After that I may think on my ownership of it. Its a fabulously well rounded bike but my use of it is minimal, traillies is where I'm at so will see about it. I like disappearing down the small lanes that surround me when I get a chance, and a 145hp 178mph 215kg package doesn't gel.

Must check out Don's book. When he asked me to trial the intiminators for the caponord i got to know a bit about that part of his life. When I met him in his in Vegas he elaborated in detail. I was equal parts amazed and disgusted by the exploits of Suzuki, they rode him raw. Glad he got his though. I think a couple bicycle suspension innovators ripped the intiminator concept too. Not sure if he got paid there though.
Have to say it's a shame the moto suspension side seems to have fallen by the way side.

Project DRastic is humming along, but bloody slowly. I'm trying hard to not cut corners. It has to be right, or as right as I can get it, which is righter than anything hence lol. Case in point wiring. Routing info for the 89 is sparse in places in the manual. Thankfully I took vids of routing and they are saving my bacon now big time.

Getting the bars to first major junction above the top engine mounting was critical in respect to wires and cables but I mostly there now bar some tidying.

Tomorrow I hope to sort the basic layout of the front subframe and tidy the rear adjacent the battery box.
The fact she was so original has helped hugely. The loom had never been off and I have it almost as neat from the factory as bars back to before the battery box.

There was a problem though
This yellow with red tracer from the clocks had no matching mate. There was a stray ordinary yellow from the dimmer switch lhs switch which seemed the obvious mate and after checking the wiring diagram I concluded its the only logical home for each other as there should be no yellow with red tracer in that circuit! In fact no dr big model seems to have a yellow with red tracer. Perhaps my lhs switch gear is off a different dr? Time will tell.

Ps:
As a lover of archery since I was a teen i was eager to try these new fangled black powder propelled projectiles after meeting Don :lol: . That was 20m with a 9mm handgun, a glock iirc. Decent grouping the instructor mused, for a newb. If I'd have had my 38 pound hoyt recurve I'd have managed better.
H_Lime

Postby bigrob » Sun May 24, 2020 7:57 am

Morning H_L, yes indeed, the DR little past its MOT yesterday. I've now done 60 miles on the beast. 70 mph equates to 4000 rpm and feels fine. As for DR Bigs, I like the look of some of the Montana motorcycles they sell (from germany). Two blinders on ebay at the moment. When I sell the TTR600, I may well look at one.
Dont think it's worth listing the Yamaha yet, what with the viras .
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sun May 24, 2020 9:03 am

In fact no dr big model seems to have a yellow with red tracer.

iirc some GS models had that colour wire in the l/h switch for the pass button (ie flasher) though I wouldn`t have though the plugs would be compatible with the Big. hmmmm
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Sun May 24, 2020 10:09 am

bigrob wrote:Morning H_L, yes indeed, the DR little past its MOT yesterday. I've now done 60 miles on the beast. 70 mph equates to 4000 rpm and feels fine. As for DR Bigs, I like the look of some of the Montana motorcycles they sell (from germany). Two blinders on ebay at the moment. When I sell the TTR600, I may well look at one.
Dont think it's worth listing the Yamaha yet, what with the viras .

Did someone mention TTR ???
spendango

Postby ladder106 » Sun May 24, 2020 3:16 pm

Project is looking good.

My garage is a mess. Too many bikes (is that possible?).

I have to play “motorcycle Tetris” every time I want to work on something.

The Dr800 project was put on hold (for the forth time) because of the Christini project for a friend. That’s done now.

The @ is just finishing up getting the footpegs modified to be much lower. It involves relocating the shift lever and building a linkage and a brake lever re-design etc. Makes for a much more comfortable ride and takes much less energy to go from sitting to standing. It also effectively raises the bars when standing so makes the bike much better to ride.

Doing new fork seals on my Transalp/Africa twin and sending the rear Ricor shock back to Ricor (now with new owner) for a rebuild and having him make me a copy for the new @. I’ve not found a better rear shock (after trying Ohlins and Wilbers) for the riding I do around here.

Nice catch on the Blackbird. Vacuum operated fuel valve I bet.......absolute HATE those things. Yet another instance of convenience over-riding basic function and leading to major problems. I’d consider just keeping the bike. You’ll likely not get much on the sale and every so often it’s really nice to be grinning inside your helmet saying......Oh Yes - More of THAT please!!

Wiring and cable attachment is always an interesting time in the build cycle. The bike looks all perfect and pristine with new everything.....then you start hanging wires off of it and it begins to look a bit messy and unkempt like it hasn’t washed or combed its hair after getting out of bed. That will last until you start getting the body panels on the beast and then it will all come good. The only sad thing then is how little of that nicely powder coated frame you actually get to see after it’s all assembled.

Interesting that you got to meet Don Richardson. I never did but we communicated a lot when developing the Intiminators for the TA, AT and DR750. I tried to locate him after reading his book but he seems to have disappeared. The new owner of Ricor says he seems to have fallen off everyone’s radar. Yes, Specialized Bicycles basically copied his bicycle shock design that he was working on with a company down in Santa Cruz California. Specialized filed suit against the tiny company and basically stole the design. They are calling it their “Brain” shock now.

Nice shooting particularly for the first time. Remind me never to piss you off.
ladder106

PreviousNext

Return to DR750