hello from British Columbia

Questions regarding the DR750

hello from British Columbia

Postby canadian chris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:28 am

hi all,

I'm now owner #3 of an '88 DR750 and beginning my project list.

She runs fine and the carbs were rebuilt two years ago (all new o rings), but she needs some TLC to get her looking fine.

The exhaust is original (no leaks), but you can imagine what shape it's in. I'm on the lookout for a x40f0x can as part of my full exhaust replacement (kudos to this site for all the info that made my research easier!) and during my search, I've found a used Yosh RS-3, in stainless, that came off a 2001 GSX-R 1000. It has the same 4-bolt pattern but I'd like your knowledgeable opinions on using the Yosh versus the GSX-R1000 OEM can. Specifically, do you think it will require carb mods or would it still be the same simple(ish) bolt-on replacement?

The additional spark arrestor mod isn't an issue in the foreseeable future, as it's not a requirement here in BC...yet.

Here she is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4GPweqcf4c


(those aluminium panels are homemade pannier racks the previous owner installed)

thanks!

~ Chris
User avatar
canadian chris
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 135
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby ladder106 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:36 am

Hiya Chris,

....and welcome.

I'd like to see your bike but your utube vid is listed as "private"

Secondly, I'd probably go up to a 130 main jet for the GSXR pipe and maybe larger for the Yoshi depending on the Yoshi design. Is it straight-through with just packing. The GSXR pipe is almost straight....just a bit of an S curve for the gas...not really what I'd call a baffle.

I ran my 750 with the GSXR can with 135 mains and the needles raised one notch. It ran well. I was just starting to drop jet sizes to 130s when other things occured (like transplanting the 800 engine into the 750 frame).

There is a huge difference in the path the exhaust gasses take between the standard muffler and the GSXR pipe. I just can't see that standard jetting would be correct.

Using economy/efficiency as a gauge, I was getting about 41/42 miles per gallon with the 135 mains. I know well tuned 750s can do much better which was why I was starting to lean it down a bit.


With all the DR650 guys lusting after the GSXR cans, eBay is not the place to find them any longer. You'll do much better watching local listings like Craigslist, etc.
User avatar
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm
Location: Davis, California, USA

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby Chris_J » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Welcome Chris, from another Chris.

I'm planning to replace my very tatty ProDuro with a 35FO. It's not nearly as desirable as the GSXR1000 can as the internals are not ti, but I hope it's going to do the job. I read somewhere that the Hayabusa's 24FO works very well on the DR650, and might be a lot easier to find.. Just a thought.

Chris..
Chris_J
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 32
Images: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:31 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby canadian chris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

thanks guys - I changed the video settings :)

ladder106 wrote:I'd probably go up to a 130 main jet for the GSXR pipe and maybe larger for the Yoshi depending on the Yoshi design. Is it straight-through with just packing. The GSXR pipe is almost straight....just a bit of an S curve for the gas...not really what I'd call a baffle.


Thanks for the info! this Yosh is straight-through, with a 30-ish degree downward angle at the outlet:

Image

ladder106 wrote:I ran my 750 with the GSXR can with 135 mains and the needles raised one notch. It ran well. I was just starting to drop jet sizes to 130s when other things occured (like transplanting the 800 engine into the 750 frame).

There is a huge difference in the path the exhaust gasses take between the standard muffler and the GSXR pipe. I just can't see that standard jetting would be correct.

Using economy/efficiency as a gauge, I was getting about 41/42 miles per gallon with the 135 mains. I know well tuned 750s can do much better which was why I was starting to lean it down a bit.


that's good to know, thanks :) I'd like to keep the replacement project as non-fussy as possible, but from your descriptions, I can see the rejetting having to happen, regardless of what muffler is used.

ladder106 wrote:With all the DR650 guys lusting after the GSXR cans, eBay is not the place to find them any longer. You'll do much better watching local listings like Craigslist, etc.


that, plus some local hoarders I know about just out of town. the x20f0x stockpile I was looking at yesterday had a lot more pipes, unfortuantely just not the Gixxer 1000 or 750 one that's recommended in the mx_rob Google doc.

Chris_J wrote:I'm planning to replace my very tatty ProDuro with a 35FO. It's not nearly as desirable as the GSXR1000 can as the internals are not ti, but I hope it's going to do the job. I read somewhere that the Hayabusa's 24FO works very well on the DR650, and might be a lot easier to find.. Just a thought.


thanks Chris! I'll keep my eye peeled for that as an alternative :)
User avatar
canadian chris
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 135
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby spendango » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi chris how about some pics of your machine ,we love pics :tup:
User avatar
spendango
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby canadian chris » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:31 pm

spendango wrote:Hi chris how about some pics of your machine ,we love pics :tup:

Hi Spen - I've been organizing my old photobucket account so I can do just that. I saw your DR photos, that's a beautiful bike you''ve got!

Further to the rejetting, I see on Page 5 of the New DR Questions thread, that you didn't have to adjust your carbs for your Pro Duro. Was that using the original pipe?

~ Chris
User avatar
canadian chris
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 135
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby Longman » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:51 pm

Hi Chris, nice bike.....................................ever thought of doing a Marlboro paint job.......................all the rage at the moment :lol:
Longman
 

Jetting corrections to previous post

Postby ladder106 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:37 pm

Chris,

My apologies if I've led you astray. I just had my carb on the bench and my jetting for the SR41 was using 130 mains....NOT 135s. The needle was, indeed, raised one notch.

I am going to try lowering the needle back down to the middle position and should have the bike running in the next day or two. I'll repost then with results.


Also I'm running the more modern carbs from the SR43 engine on my bike. The SR41 carbs had bad pilot jets and for some insane reason Suzuki decided not to sped removable pilots for that bike. I found a set of SR43 carbs, rebuilt them and they work great.


On Silencer Cans:


The 40F0 can came from the 1000 cc bike. The 35F0 can comes from the 750/600 cc bike. The internals are not Ti (no big deal) but the inside diameters are just a bit smaller due to being used on the smaller displacement machines.

These two pipes fit will into the space for the SR41. The Hayabusa cans are MUCH longer and larger in overall diameter. They can still be fitted but protrude more both to the rear and to the right.

If getting Busa cans, make sure you get the right side (there are 2 on the Busa). The left side will likely have you rethinking the mounting system.

Most of the DR650 can installation tips, measurements, etc are here:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... lide=id.i0

Here's a photo from the German DRBig forum showing the Busa can mounted (very nicely I might add) to both an SR41 and 43.

Image

and here is one of my SR41 with the GSXR 40F0 can installed for comparison:

Image

and for protrusion out the right side:

Image
User avatar
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:02 pm
Location: Davis, California, USA

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby nug » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:58 pm

How does it sound Ladder ? What bike is your rear light from ?

:tup:
User avatar
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 3391
Images: 14
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:46 pm
Location: Lincoln

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby canadian chris » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Longman wrote:Hi Chris, nice bike.....................................ever thought of doing a Marlboro paint job.......................all the rage at the moment :lol:

Hi Longman - If I can get 25 years of accumulated crud dug out of the frame joints so I can repaint, I'll definitely think about it :lol:



ladder106 wrote:I just had my carb on the bench and my jetting for the SR41 was using 130 mains....NOT 135s. The needle was, indeed, raised one notch.

I am going to try lowering the needle back down to the middle position and should have the bike running in the next day or two. I'll repost then with results.

Also I'm running the more modern carbs from the SR43 engine on my bike. The SR41 carbs had bad pilot jets and for some insane reason Suzuki decided not to sped removable pilots for that bike. I found a set of SR43 carbs, rebuilt them and they work great.

thanks for clarifying! I'll be sticking with the SR41 carbs for the foreseeable future and will definitely be updating my progress and posting more questions as things develop :)

ladder106 wrote:On Silencer Cans:

The 40F0 can came from the 1000 cc bike. The 35F0 can comes from the 750/600 cc bike. The internals are not Ti (no big deal) but the inside diameters are just a bit smaller due to being used on the smaller displacement machines.

These two pipes fit will into the space for the SR41. The Hayabusa cans are MUCH longer and larger in overall diameter. They can still be fitted but protrude more both to the rear and to the right.

If getting Busa cans, make sure you get the right side (there are 2 on the Busa). The left side will likely have you rethinking the mounting system.


good to know, thanks! I'd like to get a can that'll fit behind my pannier mount, which is one of the reasons why the oval Yosh jumped out at me.

Most of the DR650 can installation tips, measurements, etc are here:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... lide=id.i0
already printed out and saved! :D

Here's a photo from the German DRBig forum showing the Busa can mounted (very nicely I might add) to both an SR41 and 43....

and here is one of my SR41 with the GSXR 40F0 can installed for comparison...

and for protrusion out the right side...


does everyone here keep their bikes in a vault? they're all so clean and new looking *lol* thanks for all the photos, Ladder - they really help me visualize the end result. I'll be spending this weekend taking relevant measurements and starting a disassembly :)

~ Chris
User avatar
canadian chris
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
 
Posts: 135
Images: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 am
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Next

Return to DR750

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

x