hello from British Columbia

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: hello from British Columbia

Postby ladder106 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:25 pm

CDI failures are fairly common on my Honda Transalp with boxes lasting about 30K miles on average. Have not had one fail on a Suzuki however.

Just had a "cascade" failure in the ECU on my Honda Civic......so I guess it would be possible on the DR. If other electrical connections, switches etc are corroded and poor, it might lead to increased resistance in any given circuit producing heat or inadequate voltages...possibly leading to component failure.

Probably spending some time going through the wiring harness cleaning connectors and looking at wiring "pinch points" would be valuable.

But I'm not all that great when it comes to electrons. I just try to make sure things stay clean and all connections are good.

Dunno about stator interchange from the early DR650. There are some electrical parts available on german eBay and UK ebay (with shipping prices doubled for the UK parts for some very odd reason)
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby canadian chris » Thu May 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks Ladder :tup:

I got in touch with Stefan and he's going to refurb the stator for me

~ Chris
canadian chris

stator removal 101

Postby canadian chris » Sat May 31, 2014 3:01 am

DSCN8453.JPG

for the not-so-mechanically inclined (like me), here are my DR750 CDI & stator removal steps:

1. have a new cover gasket already.

2. remove the fuel tanks so you can access and unplug the stator connections to the main wiring harness. There are 3 different connectors here and once undone, you'll have to feed them past the oil cooler hoses to free them

DSCN8454.JPG

3. drain the engine oil (17mm bolt)

4. while the engine oil is draining, disconnect the CDI connectors and remove it from the battery case

5. remove the left footpeg (2 x 14mm bolts) and the gearshift (1 x 10mm bolt). The shifter will be in the way of the cover removal and you can't remove the shifter without removing the left footpeg first.

6. once the oil has drained, use an 8mm socket to loosen off the case bolts. I started with the one closest to the rear and worked counter clockwise.

DSCN8464.JPG

7. with all the bolts loose, set up a place where you can lay them in order, because of course they are all varying lengths :roll:

DSCN8465.JPG

8. I used a small flathead screwdriver to gingerly pry the cover free from the crankcase. Once loose, it should slide away easily

9. once the cover is off, there are two 7mm bolts holding the pickup coil in place and another 7mm bolt holding the wiring guide clip in place

10. lastly, there are three 8mm bolts holding the stator in place.

11. clean off the old gasket residue and hope your wife doesn't find out you did it on the kitchen counter

DSCN8472.JPG

Having a close look at my stator, the only deficiency I can see is the cracked & broken ceramic (?) on the ends of the stator arms:

DSCN8477.JPG

the wiring doesn't look or smell funky but what do I know?

next step is packaging it up and sending it off to Stefan...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
canadian chris

Postby nug » Sat May 31, 2014 9:56 am

Cnris, has the rotor made contact with it ?
nug

Postby canadian chris » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:04 am

nug wrote:Chris, has the rotor made contact with it ?

had a close look this morning and yes, there is some small residue buildup on the inner ring face but no scouring or gouges. Given the decrepit, crumbling condition of the cover gasket, I'd say that the stator hadn't been out of there for years, so there's no telling when that happened.
canadian chris

Postby nug » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:18 am

Check your crank for end float/bearing wear mate.
nug

Postby ladder106 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 am

Check your crank for end float/bearing wear mate.

.....or something like a broken starter gear tooth got between the stator and rotor and whipped around causing the damage.
ladder106

Postby BigBob » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:54 am

In answer to your queries
The 650 stator from any year is not compatible, neither is the 91-on 800.
It`s not unknown for the pick up coil to die, it happened to me once, but it`s certainly not common.
CDI failures on some 1980s Suzuki models are not uncommon (ie GSXR400 and GSX550) though it`s not common at all on the Big
My guess is the pick up coil has died and you either need a new one grafted in, or a new complete unit as the stator looks pretty rough.
Bad new is you are looking at $6-700 for an OE item :o
Over here I would send it to http://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/ who charge about 100 USD and you get a years guarantee as well.
Surely you have an equivalent service in your part of the world?
I would also replace the ignition switch as they tend to disintegrate with time, though they are not cheap and I`m not sure they are still available.
The TS125R (1991-96) is the same ignition though the wiring to the plug is a bit shorter, but it`s not a problem to lengthen it using a bit of shrink wrap. Whatever you do, seal the back of the switch with clear gasket sealant to prevent the ingress of moisture.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS125R ... 5402cd20a5
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby canadian chris » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:10 pm

nug wrote:Check your crank for end float/bearing wear mate.

ladder106 wrote:...or something like a broken starter gear tooth got between the stator and rotor and whipped around causing the damage.

thanks guys - here's what I found:

DSCN8480.JPG

according to CMSNL, this is Gear,Starter Idle,no.1

BigBob wrote:In answer to your queries
The 650 stator from any year is not compatible, neither is the 91-on 800.
It`s not unknown for the pick up coil to die, it happened to me once, but it`s certainly not common.
CDI failures on some 1980s Suzuki models are not uncommon (ie GSXR400 and GSX550) though it`s not common at all on the Big
My guess is the pick up coil has died and you either need a new one grafted in, or a new complete unit as the stator looks pretty rough.
Bad new is you are looking at $6-700 for an OE item :o
Over here I would send it to http://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/ who charge about 100 USD and you get a years guarantee as well.
Surely you have an equivalent service in your part of the world?
I would also replace the ignition switch as they tend to disintegrate with time, though they are not cheap and I`m not sure they are still available.
The TS125R (1991-96) is the same ignition though the wiring to the plug is a bit shorter, but it`s not a problem to lengthen it using a bit of shrink wrap. Whatever you do, seal the back of the switch with clear gasket sealant to prevent the ingress of moisture.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-TS125R ... 5402cd20a5

thanks Bob! I shipped the stator, pick up coil and CDI off to Stefan yesterday as he has lots of experience with the Bigs and offers a good rate on a rewind that will increase output. While he is working on them I'll track down a replacement starter gear and see what I can find for a TS125 ignition switch.

~ chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
canadian chris

Postby canadian chris » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:27 pm

sitrep:

The stator, pickup coil & CDI arrived in Germany late last week and my new idle gear is paid for (but is 3-5 weeks on backorder).

Canada Post offered me two parcel shipping options for Germany: airmail & 10 days for $67.00 or land/sea & 60 days for $48.00

this whole going without a bike for the summer is not fun :tdown:
canadian chris

PreviousNext

Return to DR750