She lives and breathes(battery starting life)

Questions regarding the DR750

She lives and breathes(battery starting life)

Postby quiffer » Tue May 06, 2014 8:30 pm

At last my starting & running problems are behind me, the new carbs are fitted and she fires on the button with a fully charged battery.

The battery is a new Yuasa but it only turns the engine over 10 - 20 times then it no longer has enough power to push through the compression stroke.

Is this normal as with all older bikes it has it's own quirk to start and while finding this I have had to re charge the battery twice.

Is the battery duff, any ideas ?????

First ride out on sunday.

Quid
quiffer
Regular
Regular

Re: She lives and breathes(battery starting life)

Postby puppycharmer » Tue May 06, 2014 9:48 pm

Hi,
Twenty five year old bikes suffer corrosion through their wiring looms. If you have ever tried soldering old wires you will have an idea of the problem.The heavy cable from the starter solenoid to the starter motor will typically ingress water and corrode over time. You can check its efficiency by doing a volt drop test, if you are that way inclined. You should at least thoroughly clean the terminals of this lead - and the one between the battery and the solenoid - preferably replace the longer lead.
Also, I would suggest that If the bike does not fire in a couple of spins, stop cranking it over and reset the decompresser.
Use choke when cold, don't touch the throttle - works for mine.
puppycharmer

Return to DR750