Dr750 wont start

Questions regarding the DR750

Dr750 wont start

Postby allkarma » Sun May 25, 2014 4:19 pm

Slowly giving up hope and running out of ideas.
Long story short my DR will only start from jump leads or power pack.
I have tried plug,ht leads,coil,starter solenoid even got a gel battery as it claims 20% more cranking power and still nothing.
Even the bike shop are clueless and advised me to look into it myself as it would end up costing a fortune if i left it with them.
allkarma

Re: Dr750 wont start

Postby ladder106 » Sun May 25, 2014 4:31 pm

Remove and disassemble the starter motor itself.

I had this problem on my 82 GS750 with progressively difficult starting. it finally would only start with the headlight fuse disconnected and jumped to my car battery.

When I took the starter motor apart, I found bad brushes and bearings....the armature would not spin by hand....only when held with pliers. I was surprised it worked at all.

A new starter sorted the problem and the bike starts in seconds.
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: Dr750 wont start

Postby Chris BIG » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

I agree with Ladder, had the same problem the last couple of weeks,in the beginning just a jump would do but it became progressively worse and longer to jump start, battery was fine, when we took the starter motor out it was shod on the inside. No luck in getting a new one down here so eventually got one via one of the posts from London on the forum. Just a pity the postage cost more than the part but it wonderful to be back in the saddle....
Chris BIG
Regular
Regular

Return to DR750