starter button problem

Questions regarding the DR750

starter button problem

Postby ravydavygravy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 pm

Sorry if you've heard all this before. I did try and research a little to see if this question had been posted before but maybe not as much as I should have done.
Anyway, a few weeks ago my starter button came adrift, as in it seemed to push right in when I pushed it.So nothing happened when I pushed it in afterwards. Had a little panic, looked around inside and managed to get the little spring and the little metal disc type thing all set up and put back in and hey presto. Well chuffed that I'd fixed it. Maybe not the best of ideas but a friend suggested I put some grease on the spring to hold it in place while I put the starter button and little metal round piece back together. It's been sat in the garage for the past couple of weeks and took it out for a ride yesterday. All was well and all was well this morning too. Started up fine, warmed it up a little and turned it off while I locked the gate. Went to get back on and the switch pushed back in again. So I did the same as before and put it all back together again. It didn't seem as if it was as good as before but with a little wiggle it sprung back into life again and it seemed ok. Had a ride around, did some shopping and went back to the bike. The starter button didn't come adrift this time but there was absolutely nothing when I pressed it in. Took it all to bits this evening and it all seems to connect up properly but still nothing. It'll start fine if I push start it, although I don't know what it'll be like to try and start from cold, I'm not looking forward to trying that in the morning. I just wondered being the complete non electrical and non mechanical person that I am if I am missing something very stoopid and simple. Thanks
ravydavygravy
Regular
Regular

Re: starter button problem

Postby BigBob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:20 am

Extremely common problem unfortunately with the 89 -on model switches.
New switches are now unavailable and were well over £100 when they were
Take the orange wire and yellow with green tracer wire out of the switch and connect them to a spring loaded push button switch which will get round this problem
The earlier 88 model loom and switches were more old fashioned looking but never gave any trouble and so I converted most of my bikes to the earlier wiring system for peace of mind
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Maplins do a selection of "push to make" switches Dave. You may even find one which will fir in the original switch housing.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:28 pm

BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ravydavygravy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I had someone look at it today who seems to think the switch is fine, as in it's getting a current to it. The on off push button seems to be ok too. Like I know what I'm on about anyway. Not sure where the decomp relay is. Would it be under the tank? Not too sure what I'm looking for either to be honest. I think I've found the earth that sits near to the back of the engine and I'll try and give that a clean up. Would I be right in thinking that the starter relay sits on top of the solenoid? I'm not too sure where the clutch switch is either or what it looks like too. I don't think I'll get around to doing anything with it before Monday anyway. I'll get the tanks off then and see what it's like underneath and also see what's under there. The side stand switch seems fine, as in, once it's started if I try and put it in gear with the stand down it'll turn itself off. I don't know if I remember it clicking when the stand went up and down. Unless I'm getting it mixed up with another bike. It doesn't click now tho if it did click before. I was meaning on getting the tanks off soon anyway and having a good look about and general tidy up but wasn't planning on doing it quite just. Never mind, at least the weather is fine at the moment. :tup:
ravydavygravy
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:25 am

Oh dear, it really does sound like you haven`t got a scooby
When all else fails.................... RTFM!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ravydavygravy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Well, at least I can admit it Bob. It's fun and learning. That did make me giggle and if I can laugh about it it aint too bad. Btw!! What's RTFM? Please Sir.. :mrgreen:
ravydavygravy
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:31 pm

images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ladder106 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:39 pm

The decomp relay is located on the left side of the airbox under the side panel.

As far as I know, it's only function is to prevent you from starting the bike without first activating and decomp lever.

Lars has a wiring diagram that allow you to remove this entire unit.

In my opinion, its just as bad as the silly side-stand switch and the clutch switch, both of which are disabled on all my bikes.
ladder106

Postby ravydavygravy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 pm

thankyou ladder, I'm still laughing out loud ( I'm sure that could be shortened ) at Bobs post. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ravydavygravy
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to DR750