DR 750 - Carbs ?

Questions regarding the DR750

DR 750 - Carbs ?

Postby jupiter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:49 pm

The release bearing almost chewed itself through the pressure plate and eventually disintegrated. I've not had the bike long and don't now the condition before I bought it, and what's been done to it.

I've done a search and saw others had the same problem, but it still did not answer the question as to why it happens and what to do to prevent it.

I'll try and post a pic, but for now I need someone to post me a pic of the inside of a pressure plate that I can see what it looks like when not damage.

Thanks.
Last edited by jupiter on Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
jupiter

Re: DR 750 Clutch Pressure Plate/Realease bearing

Postby BigBob » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:14 pm

I`ve done hundreds of thousands of miles on Bigs over many years and not heard of this one
Diagrams etc here http://www.timguy.net/sites/drbiginfo/DrBIGmanuals/
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby jupiter » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:27 pm

Something caused it, and I need to know what, before I put a new presure plate in, otherwise its no use and will happen again. Any suggestions are welcome that I may by way of elimination find the problem.
jupiter

Postby jupiter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Hi Guys,

New problem. The bike runs very poorly and eratic on bottom end. We've checked and eliminated most probable causes and its down to the CDI which does not switch to retarded timing on idle and low end. I'm waiting to test it on anther bike.

In the mean time my question. Is there another generic CDI unit available over the counter one can use or is it only Suzuki OEM.

For the sake of interest my bike has a unit on it with the Mitshibusi logo and part number 44B00/3626. The plug-in looks standard to the DR's wiring.
jupiter

Re: DR 750 - CDI Unit ?

Postby BigBob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:40 pm

You have the correct CDI
Are you sure it`s the CDI and not a blocked pilot jet?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby jupiter » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Is it only available through Suzuki ?

The carbs have just been cleaned and overhauled and then checked again, so doubt it. Also, the problem has been getting progressively worse over the last few weeks, maybe indicating a failing CDI ?
jupiter

Postby BigBob » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:24 pm

As far as I know, only Suzuki make them. Not common for a CDI to fail, they either work or don`t at all.
Have you checked the pick up coil?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby jupiter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:43 am

Info from the previous owner is that the coils were re-done. I'll check the CDI tonite then we'll turn to the coils.
jupiter

Postby jupiter » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:34 pm

Looks like these are available again http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-SUZUKI-DR75 ... 92&vxp=mtr
jupiter

Postby jupiter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:02 am

After much trial and tribulation we got the bike going well enough that I could do my first trip on it this past weekend. Absolutely love it and will continue spending money on it.

There are more problems. The carbs are shot. Current fuel consumption 9km/l. We're working on it.

Today's question. I want to get better condition carbs. Mine are overall worn out badly. Already replaced the internals. I've heard that the BMW 650 Funduro carbs are identical and a strait fit for the DR.

Is that so, even though the carbs have different model numbers ?
jupiter

Next

Return to DR750