DR 750 - Carbs ?

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: DR 750 - CDI Unit ?

Postby jupiter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:02 am

After much trial and tribulation we got the bike going well enough that I could do my first trip on it this past weekend. Absolutely love it and will continue spending money on it.

There are more problems. The carbs are shot. Current fuel consumption 9km/l. We're working on it.

Today's question. I want to get better condition carbs. Mine are overall worn out badly. Already replaced the internals. I've heard that the BMW 650 Funduro carbs are identical and a strait fit for the DR.

Is that so, even though the carbs have different model numbers ?
jupiter

Re: DR 750 - Carbs ?

Postby ladder106 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:31 am

What do you mean by "shot" ??

The carbs are pretty much completely rebuildable. Unless you have some incredible wear at the butterfly valve pivots that cause leakage, the carbs should not just "wear out".

Get the grey slide guides from BMW (Funduro). Make certain to replace the O-rings at the base of the float valve, the idle mixture screw,and the grey slide guides.

It's also possible to have significant wear on the needles and needle jet. These are also replaceable.

I've also found that replacing the diaphragms on CV carbs will make a big difference in throttle response since the diaphragms get old and stiff and hard over time (at least with USA alcohol fuels). New pliable diaphragms give much improved throttle response.
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Re: DR 750 - Carbs ?

Postby jupiter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks for the reply. The butterfly pivots are badly worn as are the slide housings. The bike had been poorly maintained before I got it.

Main problem is the bike over fuels badly. You smell the petrol burning. (9km/l)

Otherwise the carbs have had an extensive overhaul, with the parts you referred to and others checked and replaced. The problem persists, hence I'm looking to get better condition carbs.
jupiter

Previous

Return to DR750