rear spoke confusion

Questions regarding the DR750

rear spoke confusion

Postby stevieg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:17 pm

I have just received my order of front and rear spokes from CMS for my 88' drum braked DR and the rear spokes are nothing like the ones i removed,hard as i try i can only find one part number for spokes,65320-44B10,this spoke set looks like they're for the later disc type rear hub,can anyone enlighten me please?

stevieg

Re: rear spoke confusion

Postby dave#22 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:34 pm

You're right, they are for the disc braked hub, I've looked at the cmsl site and they don't list the SJ spokes. Is it just a respoke you are doing? If so, check the rim for cracks between the spoke holes. My SJ rim started to crack, so I went for a Morad, but increased angle of the spoke and the spoke length...the work was done by Central Wheels.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:15 pm

That will teach you to use CMSNL!
If you had phoned Michelle at Robinsons on 01227 454366 and asked for part no 65320-44B01 you would have got the correct item
A bit pricey at £74.68, though if you mention my name you`ll get 10% discount
The OE spokes for the rear disc model are £56.68, though why they are £18 cheaper is beyond me.
afaik there isn`t any aftermarket spokes for the drum brake wheel.
Hagons do stainless spokes, but only for the later model.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby stevieg » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:31 pm

Thanks for the info,very annoying,the CMS website is very misleading,i'll sort out getting a refund and take it from there,so 6532044B01 is the correct manufacturer code for drum braked spokes then?
stevieg

Postby BigBob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:45 pm

Yep, talk to Michelle, she`s the best.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:46 am

Or if you want to go stainless hagon do indeed do em for the drum model. I sent them oe spokes and they remanufactured em.

H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:10 am

I last bought some s/s spokes from Hagons a couple of years ago and they were £72 per wheel iirc, so unless you are desperate for originality you may as well go for s/steel as they don`t corrode.
Like Mr Lime I also had my rims powder coated gloss black and very smart they look as well.
I also lace up my own wheels as I neither want to pay someone else nor trust them to do it right. It`s not as hard as it looks.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby stevieg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:15 am

CMS do actually supply the correct spokes but are not listed for any model,they cost 82.89 euro. (60quid) i pasted in the part number supplied by Big Bob in the search box and hey presto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevieg

Postby stevieg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:17 am

H_Lime wrote:Or if you want to go stainless hagon do indeed do em for the drum model. I sent them oe spokes and they remanufactured em.

Do you have a photo of the completed bike with those black rims installed? They look pretty sexy.
stevieg

Postby H_Lime » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:04 pm

As Bob points out cheaper to get hagon to make them. But other than the cost and corrosion factor there is another reasons to do this.
The stock spokes on this model are an atrocious fit. They are not degreed enough on the bend were they anchor the hub. As a consequence they wear the alloy hub. Point this out to hagon and will amend it when making you them.
The front wheel bearing on this model is also a bit of an afterthought/lashup from Suzuki in that its an odd ball suzuki item only and is unsealed and well saucy. What most home mechs did was fit two ordinary available bearings alongside together which is bad news.
Heres a pic. Id like to be able to say that recent but i have to refit "Dave's Engine" back in after he breathed on it :D
H_Lime

Next

Return to DR750