DR 750 S (reduced effect) . Return to full power

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: DR 750 S (reduced effect) . Return to full power

Postby BigBob » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:35 pm

Check the headstock of your bike. There should be a white sticker about 30mm long.
Stamped on this will be an E number. E18 is Switzerland.
My guess is an E34 Italy or E22 Germany.
DR750S does not mean it is from Switzerland. S means single cylinder!
If you can`t find the white sticker then I can find out the country of origin from the frame number.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby wundis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am

First we have to figure out if its actually reduced or not!
What's the VIN? In the beginning of the manual there is a "table" showing what letter model your bike is. I.e. DR800S R, or S or whatever. It is actually the letter U that says that your bike had its power reduced.

I have been struggling to figure out what exact model I have too, all i know its SR43B from Germany (E22). If we are going to touch the differences between SR43A and SR43B - it's a completely different topic (insurance restriction -4HP), however the difference from DR800SR and DR800SUR is more obvious - carb settings. In a restricted model you have a different needle jet and pilot air jets, also and additional washer (9A) on german models - here's a link to the site where you can analyze and see all the differences in parts:
http://www.bike-parts-suz.com/suzuki-re ... tID=294624

PS also, i read on E18 (switzerland) you're also supposed to have something called Second-Air, though i think both restricted and non restricted models would have it.
wundis
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby dave#22 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:01 am

Hi....I don't think the reduced power models will differ mechanically, possibly a different ECU, but unlikely, they probably have different carb top caps with extended stops, to stop the slides opening fully. I have a pair of these in a box, but I don't know where they came from.
The easiest way to check would be to remove the air filter and see if the slides can be lifted fully, using a long screwdriver or similar...a bit tricky on the 750 with the side mounted filter....or take out the rubber carb to air filter connector (a pain) for better access.
Good luck.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:08 pm

The DR750 was modified for the German market by using a milder camshaft to drop the bhp from 52 to 50, and having ridden one, you wouldn`t notice the difference.
The pilot air jet was bigger on the Swiss model, but that is all.
On the 800SM they had the carb needle dropped from 3rd to 4th position for the German and Swiss models which is easily rectified.
Again, they used a bigger pilot air jet as well.
I`m almost certain they used the same CDI for all models and didn`t use restrictors to stop the slides lifting fully.
After all, we are only talking 2-3 bhp difference.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby wundis » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:05 pm

I think Amatar is not talking about the difference between A and B versions of the BIG, and is referring to the SU models for both DR800 and 750 that actually were restricted by ~50%.
You can see it here: http://www.suzukigtclub.nl/Suzuki_Rahmen1.pdf
wundis
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:22 pm

I know that the insurance categories in Germany were 1) up to 27ps, 2) p to 50ps and 3) over 50ps
I knew they made the Big so it would come into category 2 but I didn`t know they went down to 27ps.
I think Amatar needs to talk to the German DrBig club. http://www.dr-big.de/forum/
Most of them speak good English.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby BigBob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 pm

Lars who runs this site http://bollertante.de/site/index.php/de/ speaks perfect English and is an expert on Bigs.
Send him an email http://bollertante.de/site/index.php/de/kontakt
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby BigBob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:08 pm

:tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Return to DR750