No spark 1988 DR-750 HELP

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: No spark 1988 DR-750 HELP

Postby wundis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:43 am

Would your pocket tester be able to pick those signals?
You could just borrow a CDI from someone with an SR41. Or is it that rare in Canada?
wundis
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:26 pm

Never heard of coils going on a Big, and certainly not two together.
CDI is pretty robust as well and not likely to give trouble.
My gut feeling is that the halfwit mechanic tried starting without the decompressor and overloaded the electrical system. The weakest point is usually the pick up coil, and it`s probably been fried.
There are companies in the UK that will test the coil and stator and if necessary replace the coil and rewind the stator. I`m sure you have the same in Canada.
New from Suzuki about $500!
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ewertro » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

Yeah my DR is quite rare here, from what I can remember, only about 40 came over to North America. I have have only seen maybe 6 orange and white ones myself. I just picked up a name for a guy that has lots of knowledge and has a couple DR's so hopefully I can catch up with him and test my CDI unit to hopefully rule it out. Going to try and find someone to help me with rebuilding the pickup as well. I see that you can't buy the pickup separately, I hope there is something else I can do, but I will continue on, picked up a nice analog volt meter that should be easier to watch than the Fluke meter.....
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby ewertro » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:30 pm

Anyone use this pickup in their bike? Was surfing and found this, I see that it fits a lot of newer bikes as well.

http://www.electrostator.com/en/drz400/ ... dr800.html
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby DHC6 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:56 pm

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/G280.html

This stator does not fit the 750 because it has the double source coil for the later models. However this company also has the source coils G102 and the pickup. Is easy to replace but use a press and NOT a hammer to slide it out of the fitting. I found that the cabling from the stator causes lots of problems so I replace all cabling from the stator up.

CDI hardly breaks down, a very good alternative which can be programmed by PC comes from http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/dccdip/dccdip.htm.

Cheers
DHC6
Regular
Regular

Postby wutang » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:46 pm

hi there, sorry to "hijack" this thread - I just got an old dr 750 and have a stupid question - could I have done something wrong when I tried push starting the bike? The first time I tried starting I had some spark (but not enough for starting the motor, I tried before cleaning the carbs etc.) but now I have no spark at all ... to be honest not sure if my decompressor worked or not and didn't think I should pay attention :(

I read the comment above "tried starting without the decompressor and overloaded the electrical system" and wondering whether I could have done something to my cdi? (didn't get to testing all the other things, just would like to know how exactly I woiuld be able to tell if this is what happened
wutang
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:08 am

It`s a bit of a scrambled description you have given us so giving a clear and definitive answer is not possible
I can`t imagine you damaged anything at all when you tried to push start it.
If you tried to push start it without using the decompressor lever first it will never start, only lock up the back wheel
My gut feeling is that by trying to start the bike on the button without using the decompressor you really have overloaded the system and probably taken out the source coil.
Clearly you are not familiar with the strange starting procedure used on the Big and would be well advised to read the relevant parts of the manual
Everyone with a Big should have a copy of the Holy Book. Here you go http://www.timguy.net/sites/drbiginfo/DrBIGmanuals/
Where are you located?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby wutang » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:48 pm

thanks for the quick reply, to be honest Im also not sure whether I also tried starting (with the starter) without the decomp - my battery was bad at the beginning so I just tried push starting (I think that was without decomp, but as you said the rear wheel blocked; then I tried some times with the decomp and I was getting some spark but didn't start)
after I charged the battery I tried once or twice with the starter but I think already the first time I got not spark ... anyway, I see in the manual that you can test the CDI with the "pocket tester" - would I be able to do that with a normal multimeter? I guess that the exact numbers are not that important, if it's bad there will be either a short (i.e. 0 ohms) or infinite ohms I guess

(unfortunately I don't have the bike with me and can work on it only from time to time when I get home for a longer time, so most likely won't ride until next year anyway)
wutang
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby O.R. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:09 pm

wutang wrote:... I see in the manual that you can test the CDI with the "pocket tester" - would I be able to do that with a normal multimeter...

I've tried multiple times to test my CDI's that are OK, but never got the values as mentioned in the workshop manual
The values of for instance the generator CAN be tested
O.R.
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to DR750