No spark 1988 DR-750 HELP

Questions regarding the DR750

No spark 1988 DR-750 HELP

Postby ewertro » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:58 am

Hello everyone,

I am the original owner of a 1988 DR-750 and I have a problem. I took my bike in for a spring tune up and after waiting all summer to get it back, the latest diagnosis from the shop where it is being serviced is "no spark, must be your CDI" I rode the bike into the shop to begin with, so I find it hard to believe that the unit just stopped working. I am planning to bring her home and see whats going on, but I thought I would start getting suggestions on where to start. If it is indeed a CDI unit, does anyone know of a place to start looking, or can it be crossed to another bike that is more plentiful in Canada? Thanks everyone in advance.
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: No spark 1988 DR-750 HELP

Postby BigBob » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:27 pm

I take it the bike is turning over on the starter but no spark?
It won`t be the CDI unless the bike shop have done something really stupid like mig welding without disconnecting the battery and fried it.
More likely they have been careless and done something like disconnecting wires and not reconnecting them.
There`s a couple of areas to check first, ignition switch and kill switch.
Also, it won`t spark if there`s no neutral light.
I guess you are going to have to remove tanks and beak to access the wiring, but my guess is that it`s something obvious.
CDIs on the Big don`t go wrong, but hamfisted, nutrounding idiot mechanics in bike shops do.
In future get the manual and service it yourself. They are not hi tech and it`s much cheaper and satisfying fixing your own bike.
Let us know how you get on.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ewertro » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:05 am

Thanks I needed that. Just got the bike home tonight already have the tanks off and started taking things apart. After work tomorrow I will be going through all the wiring. The only reason it went to the shop was to clean and balance the carbs since I didn't feel comfortable in doing that. I am not going to learn how one way or another. Thanks again.
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:01 am

I guess you needed to clean the carbs due to the bike being parked up over a long winter and they have become gummed up?
Next time before standing the bike up for a long period, turn the fuel off and run the bike till the carbs are drained and then also drain the tanks and put the fuel in the car as it goes off within a few weeks anyway. No idea what the fuel is like in Canada but we have 5 or 10% ethanol due to stupid EU directives, and it not only runs worse with poorer fuel consumption, but also corrodes fuel lines as well. Bring back 4 star as we never had all these problems with that.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby wundis » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:32 am

Yes,

wundis
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:13 am

How politically incorrect :lol: :lol: :lol:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ewertro » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:49 pm

yeah fuel over here isn't any better, lots of build up just running it and a couple leaks developed making a royal mess, just couldn't find a good cleaner and this shop uses an ultrasonic cleaner. They look great now although not sure how he thought he could charge me for setting up the carbs when he couldn't get the bike to run again.....but that's another story. Wish dad was younger and still had all his tools from when he had a Suzuki shop....that's how I ended up with my DR in the first place.
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby ewertro » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:23 am

OK started testing the bike tonight. So far, kickstand switch is not working, although that should not a difference of the bike is parked. On off switch is good, engine turns over good, checked primary and secondary coils. How can I measure if a signal is coming from the CDI to the primary spark plug coil? Thanks in advance.
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:41 am

BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ewertro » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:52 am

Ok been poking away again, checked the pick up coil and power source coil. checking with the pocket tester, according to the manual, resistance wise, the coils are good (pickup is 220 ohms, power source is 280 ohms). When I measure the AC on the coils, I get 67 VAC on the power source when the engine is cranking, but no AC or DC voltage on the pick-up. Should I not see some kind of signal generating on the pickups? otherwise, how would the CDI know when to fire? Thanks.
ewertro
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Next

Return to DR750