Ahhh life...

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Ahhh life...

Postby H_Lime » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:00 am

nug wrote:I had a similar setup to Resi's lights and they looked good but worked shite. I tried LED bulbs but even more shite. I have gone back to the original headlight (LHD spec) with a Philips extreme bulb which works great. I have also added 10w led spots which come on with high beam to give me some extra distance. Works great. On my old SR43 I fitted Hella lights with 10 w LED spots which was a fantastic combo if a bit expensive. Not enough room for me to do the same on the 750 though as the forks will hit the lights despite my further forward mounting of the screen etc.

Hear ya on the led bulbs and small reflectors Nug.

I kinda wonder about led headlight bulbs as a practical replacement for halos.

Ive had decent, but only decent results with them on the capo. Main beam is fook all better than dipped. Flip side of that is dipped is drastically improved so main-shmian :!: :twisted: . This is a common enough scenario it seems.

Imo from messing about with these on two bikes and a car is if you get lucky in finding a set that has the right amount of leds, in the right orientation and position your onto a winner (on dipped anyhow).

Been using the aprilia for the odd bit of commuting in the summer (first time in over ten yrs..) and the complete wankery these days from distracted drivers prompted me to fit brighter lights.
With the current set up i have managed to achieve a good beam pattern with a clean cut off, but main is like only 10% better. Have to say tho the bike is like fookin moses parting the sea in stationary traffic with this...

Right,... the big.

These were a disaster. The size of the inserted
heads meant the reflectors were effectively half blocked.
The reason i opted for these was due to the major restrictions out the other end being that the wee subframe was so close.
This design had all the gubbins inside the reflector.
Im gona try one more set and if they don't impress I'll just go with the "philips extremely bright by 130% i swear" halos.

Its just that the benefits in terms of pixie savings is so great for us (considering our limited amount of them) that its perhaps worth the endeavour??
I'm still exploring the mosfet notion but I'm in need of educating myself on the compatibility of a non oe unit that is rated to 30 or 50 amp being used on the big with a 15amp main??!!??
My intention would be to wire it direct to the battery.

The spots....

You can spend a fortune on chinesium marked up monkey metal ones on ebay via UK middlemen resellers. Case in point being that alchemy crowd i bought the looms from. Theyre reselling/flipping chinese spots and brackets at bloody extortionate rates. Or at least it seems that way to me from comparing stock they have to aliexp.

Its for this reason i refuse to pay big bucks for spots. They're so cheap that i buy two sets and if i get a year or three out of the first set I'm laughing. It seems that if you flange seal em it's more than likely they'll last and last.

I wanted something that mounted the spots discreetly and close to the bars. For me that was the above in the shape of wurths 25mm stainless p clips 20mm wide. They have reinforced clamping areas and are very able.

Chuffed with them for fifty quid all in. Aimed them in line with the headlight so should not blind oncomming and still light the way/aid visibility.
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby H_Lime » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:05 am

And if anyone noticed...shes off the slab. "Re-Finished" this evening.

Gave her a scrub. The five year stasus left tons of really tough and ingrained grime and dust. Could only have a wee spin as it was a daddybday care day but by christ it's great to be back on er.
Thanks a mill to Dave for his talented hands and brain and all on here for the help over the yrs. Hopefully meet some of ye next month for a ride n pint?
Edit: that sounds rude :wave:
H_Lime

Postby Mick75 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

That's a very nice looking Bike, congratulations and enjoy
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:31 am

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby spendango » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:53 pm

Looking good :tup: :tup: :tup: again lol
spendango

Postby H_Lime » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Cheers lads :tup:

Took a spin and it felt great. Fun bike :P
Things i noticed was a tiny touch of wollyness. Nothing bad and may have been like that before but I'm pretty confident it mat be the slightly high float level on the rhs carb thats making itself felt. Little bit of popping on over run.

Is it possible to remove and reinstall floats with carbs in situ? As i sit here and think about it its not possible surely?

Anyway, dropped the oil and filter immediately post first spin.
Using halfords semi 10/40 car oil and hiflo filters. A first for me using car oil in any bike but Le Bob and The Daves experience can't be ignored re this and ita literally half the price 8-) Either way it'll be changed every season or 2k miles.

What pissed me off wen doingbthe oil change was access to the front two bolts holding on the bash plate. They're all but inaccessible due to my laughably empty and effectively unusable trailtech tool box. Its effected unusable as the lid can only be quarter opened due to the crash bars fouling it.

Taking a long hard look at it i decided it either modified to work or chucked so i drilled two 16mm holes in line with the bolts for the baseplate to allow access for a ratchet.

Holes will plugged with reusable sealing plugs. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Blanking ... mwBanner=1
So thats that sorted.

Next up after pondeing it i realised if i made the the whole lid quick release removable it could be used as intended. The two quarter turn dzus fasteners on it combined with a detent pin or linch pin in place of the hinging bolts could facilitate easy removal. Settled on an m6 clevis pin with r clip.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clevis-Pins-6m ... mwBanner=1
I should be able to remove the lid in five seconds.

Plan on what to put in it are a bottle of tube slime. All three cables and both levers. What would you put in it?
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:04 am

Plan on what to put in it are a bottle of tube slime. All three cables and both levers. What would you put in it?

I carry the same items in a magnetic tank bag, plus spare bulbs, cable ties, small led torch, allen keys, mini pump and spare CDI.
I`ve never really needed any of them until last year when a couple of hundred miles from home Nug`s CDI packed up, and we were on our way again in a few minutes :tup: (Always worth having a spare one)
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:02 pm

Bikes looking good Colum.
It appears that you have been through all the LED options. I have those same little LED spots on my Big now as a supplement to the standard headlight. I think I paid around £12 for mine. Crazy really, as that is cheaper than I could buy them from the manufacturer back when I trialled selling them a few years back. They work really well and give me the range that the standard headlamp lacks.

I had one of those tool boxes on mine but could get F++kall in it. Then I fitted my crash bars and realised it was even less usable. I used it without the hinge bolts from the get go as it was a pain to get anything in or out. You may get a tube of toothpaste in it but not a tube of slime. I had spare plugs and plug spanner wrapped in an old inner tube I cut up. That was about it. Looks good though.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:08 pm

nug wrote:Bikes looking good Colum.
It appears that you have been through all the LED options. I have those same little LED spots on my Big now as a supplement to the standard headlight. I think I paid around £12 for mine. Crazy really, as that is cheaper than I could buy them from the manufacturer back when I trialled selling them a few years back. They work really well and give me the range that the standard headlamp lacks.

I had one of those tool boxes on mine but could get F++kall in it. Then I fitted my crash bars and realised it was even less usable. I used without he hinge bolts from the get go as it was a pain to get anything in or out. You may get a tube of toothpaste in it but not a tube of slime. I had spare plugs and plug spanner wrapped in an old inner tube I cut up. That was about it. Looks good though.

Bang on the money Nug. One of the things i wanted to do on the re rebuild was to have a hard look at some aspects.
Some of these are the 530 conversion, lighting, crank case protection in the event of a snap and that box.

As you suggest it was largely ornamental and in some respects thats now reversed, but not fully.
For anyone without bars I'd strongly suggest it tbh. Without the bars you can get a bottle of slime in it and a few other useful tools also.

With the bars this is what you get...

About three inch opening of the lid before it fouls. Bear in mind my bars lower bracket have been notched allowing them rotate the whole shebang upwards to clear full wheel travel. In short this as good as it gets with rd moto bars and the trail tech box.

Like yerself Nug i decided removing the lid entirely is the way to go.

The 12mm long m6 clevis pin with r clip is perfect. See link in my last post. Original holes were 5.9mm so just needed boring to 6mm to fit them. Nice glidey push fit if you use a good bit and guide.
R clips ziptied to the bars and lids off in seconds.

Decent access now but not enough to easily retrieve the slime bottle after slightly forcing it through the gap :(.
Alls not lost tho as you'd deffo be able get in all three cables, couple t allens to strip half the bike and 1/4" ratchet with a couple sockets too. Wrapping individually in sections of bicycle innertube is a winner idea Nug :tup:

Am i happy with this addition? So so. Like the compressor under the odyssey its a compromise but imo a worthwhile one. Just.

On the LEDs Nug I'm gonna try one more set. Its just that the potential gains are huge if you can get it right :wtf:

The spots are an utter winner. Im a bit of a leccy dummy, hence the loom, but yeah im chuffed with them. Lots of see and see me lumens down the road is always a boon.

Bob, all good ideas for spares packing. I have a spare cdi off my donor bike. Best 50 quid i ever spent is that :D do they often release the smoke and crap out?
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 am

I have a spare cdi off my donor bike. Best 50 quid i ever spent is that :D do they often release the smoke and crap out?

I think I am one of the very few that have had a CDI failure. It was a progressive thing which started with difficult starting rather than a total failure, It final Sh@t the bed when we went for weekend down to Portland Bill. If Bob hadn't had a spare stashed away I would have been buggered. I now have a pattern one which came from eastern europe. Seems fine, although I would say the advance curve is a little different a sit feels softer and smoother in normal riding.

As far as the tool box goes, I think you have a better set up than I did. I have the Hessler bash plate which has a higher angled front section. This means the box has to sit higher so that the bottom edge wont sit bellow the bash plate and look crap. Ultimately this is what made it unusable for me. I don't miss the skin graft I got each time I tried to get an item out of the bugger. I still carry more crap than I need though with the big tool tube I made. My bike is rather heavy with all the extra crap on it.
nug

Previous

Return to DR750