Ahhh life...

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Ahhh life...

Postby Haga lout » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 pm

H_Lime wrote:Me I'd not go fag pack Geoff. I know it's "iconic" but there's the like of a Hesslers yellow example as a nod towards Rahiers bike with a modern twist to the design.

I like the hessler one but it's got a blue frame I'm only doing a part job on mine this winter so not a total strip and my frame is white the frames not bad so just changing forks and disk on front fit crash bars ,full paint job ,lights and pipe bike will be at bloke who's making rear tanks most of time so no time this year for full strip will do that next winter
Haga lout
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby dave#22 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Gets in the way a tad doesn't it?
I'm rather time poor these days but have a wk off over Nov and I'm eager to put Dave's engine back in my DR.

Between the kids, new gig and an all consuming health regime the last couple yrs biking has been on the back burner as has a lot of my pursuits and interests. To give you an idea, mornings can start as early as 4:45am with a run, nevermind work and gym.

Yup she's laid up in stasus the last two odd yrs and I miss the hell out of it.
Have a few small refinements in mind and would like to have her ready for the odd spin over winter.
I guess this thread is a simple reminder/motivator for me to resurrect the most fun usable and engaging motorcycle I own.

Any craic with you bastards?;)

Nice hear you're still alive and kicking Colum.
I'm glad I greased that engine up...I didn't expect it to sit on the bench for two years. :lol:
I hope all's well.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Waffle time... :crazy:

Jaysus, time flies :lolno:

I whipped the garage into shape and finished the blackbird and capo meddling.

That meant i could (finally) push the old gal up the ramp this evening. Ye have no idea the desire I've had to do this and do it right.

Long time coming. Just to put some perspective...

This is when the bearing shat itself :cry: Nearly six yrs ago now. Noticed she was knocking after the dyno run on the way home.

Here's the offening bastard that our Dave judiciously extracted like a painful and rotten tooth and replaced with a better spec new one

He also cast his critical eye over the crank and replaced it after welding the pin. Also replaced were...
Primary drive gear.
Dr800 cct with Hessler spring.
Rotor and bolt.
Piston wrist pin.
And iirc the later 800 balancing chain tensioning kit went in er too. Obviously gaskets were changed as well
Basically he spent a shit ton of time doing a shit ton of work, raided his cache of spares and made it just so according to the bible of Dave ;) In short this man gets a kidney if needed.
Ziptied to the rocker cover there were even two tags outling clearances specs and to prime the head with oil. Hes a boyo!

No pressure come button day so Dave eh lol:clap:

Gave the engine a spray of wd and sighed at how the pj fastblack has lifted in places. Thats in spite of the engine being blasted, cleaned, abraded, etched, primed and getting multiple coats! I blame the new non carcinogenic formulae. Fuc*in eu! Shoulda gone two pk:roll:

Anyway, the plan was to do as advised sagely by Le Bob, namely lay the engine on her side and lift the frame over her with help, as i did before.
Balls to that I'm stronger these days so i taped the frame rails, ratchet strapped her down and muscles her in....only to realise i trapped the chain lol. Ten minutes of cursing and gruting and one sprained right bicep later she was in like flynn.

There's a few things i want to address that I didnt get right first time round. I want to upgrade Resi's twin spot h4's to led. Done likewise to the capo and i also want to fit spots and a stand alone loom with relay to her too.
Brake led t21 5w bulbs were a failure as they dont get sufficiently brighter upon braking than they were when just on as "side lights". Its as if they're reversed. Nug, any advice? Have a feeling your the man to ask.

Mosfet would be nice but I'm not sure what the craic is with pairing up our weedy jennys output to one will do. It will 'force' 14.5 volts bit can she handle that?? Fudged if i know, answers on a post card.

Meddlind aside she will also need to be recommissioned, so everythings getting flushed, cleaned, bled, oiled, lubed and then theres the tyres...are they shot from standing...?

Anyway its so good to be working on her again and i literally cannot wait to swing a leg over her again. She makes so much sense for the type of spins i like and where i live. Its also the perfect counterpart to the capo and bird. Hell who knows i may even get to Wales this summer on her :tup:
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby nug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:09 am

Not many of us bastards left in here these days. We are few in number and the years are catching up with us.

Not wrong there Bob. just about hanging in there myself to be honest. Bikes are parked up for the time being whilst other stuff takes priority. Just got to get through the next few months then should be a bit more attentive to the Big.

Colum. Good to see that you are going to get the engine back in mate :tup: You are worried about being 40 :crazy: I was 51 yesterday and as if that wasn't bad enough, I went on bookface (opened an account a couple of years ago and never logged in again...until now) as I had some birthday messages, only to be contacted by an old friend that I worked with 20 years ago. He kindly sent me some pictures of myself to remind me of what a crumbling mess I have become :tdown:
nug

Postby H_Lime » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:55 pm

nug wrote:
Not many of us bastards left in here these days. We are few in number and the years are catching up with us.

Not wrong there Bob. just about hanging in there myself to be honest. Bikes are parked up for the time being whilst other stuff takes priority. Just got to get through the next few months then should be a bit more attentive to the Big.

Colum. Good to see that you are going to get the engine back in mate :tup: You are worried about being 40 :crazy: I was 51 yesterday and as if that wasn't bad enough, I went on bookface (opened an account a couple of years ago and never logged in again...until now) as I had some birthday messages, only to be contacted by an old friend that I worked with 20 years ago. He kindly sent me some pictures of myself to remind me of what a crumbling mess I have become :tdown:

Lol Nug none of us are getting any younger that's for sure. I've gotten over the midlife crisis by now though :lol:

Can i ask you what you make of the tendency of the led brake lights not getting bright enough when braking versus when just on? I mentioned it at the end of my last overly waffly reply.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Yes sorry Colum I missed the brake light bit. I think the problem with most replacement stop/tail LED bulbs is that they only add a few lights to the sidelight ones when operated. Basically, they don't increase the intensity through more powerful LED'S...they just add LED's of the same intensity. There are not enough to make a difference especially within a lens which was designed for a normal filament. A 21 watt filament is obviously significantly brighter than a 5 Watt of course. I am sure you will find a bulb that works mate as they must vary between brands.

The MOSFET rectumfrier is a good idea as they do not stress the windings like a normal SHUNT style. In a SHUNT type, the voltage is controlled by shorting the live to earth. This creates heat and load on the windings & is really a very crude & messy way of doing it..... Its a bit like giving Steven Hawking a bowl of spaghetti to eat. The MOSFET is far cleverer as its controls all the angry pixies by opening and closing the gate quickly rather than smashing the poor f@@kers into the wall......A bit like watching Pamela Anderson on a trampoline, an altogether more pleasant experience :tup:
nug

Postby spendango » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

F..K Nug 51 !!!! i.m only 50 you old fart :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
spendango

Postby nug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:23 pm

Age is just a number mate. Mine just happens to be a big one.
nug

Postby spendango » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:25 pm

Don't tell anyone but i'm 51 in two weeks :shock:
spendango

Postby nug » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:29 pm

You poor old sod.