Starting system

Questions regarding the DR750

Starting system

Postby Agiora » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi guys,

My name is Alessandro and I recenty bought a dr 750. I knew there was some work to do, indeed I had to repair the stator and starter gear. Still after these repairs the bike won't start, I think it's due to some electrics parts. I checked the starter connecting it with the battery and skipping all the wires in between. Since the left side is open, I can clearly see that the starter works, therefore it must be something in between the battery and the starter.
When I try to start the bike, the starter solenoid makes some electirc noise, by connecting the two bolts with a screwdriver, at first I only see some sparks, but still the starter doesen't move. I know it's a common problem, but this bike is new to me, and I'm not really good with wires :crazy: .

Cheers
Agiora
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Starting system

Postby BigBob » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm

Is it possible that the starter cogs are jammed and not allowing the starter to turn over?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Agiora » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 pm

The starter works if connected with the battery, it spins. I think is something in between that blocks the electricity. How do I check if the starter soldenoid works?
Agiora
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:22 am

There are two wires from the decompressor lever that go to connectors near the headlight that activate the solenoid.
Most of us just connect the two in the headlight together to eliminate any possible problems there.
Also do the stupid clutch switch wires at the same time ....... another less thing to go wrong
It is possible to bypass the starter solenoid, check out the wiring diagram here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2224
A couple of times I`ve had this problem I`ve fixed it by taking off the small green wire on the starter relay and I joined the terminal to earth and it all worked again.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Agiora » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks a lot Bob for the reply!
I think the decompressor lever works, because when I don't pull it nothing happens, instead using it I can hear some electic noise from the starter relay.
How do I join the green wire with ground? I mean which is the the ground wire? (Sorry for the noob question :silent: )
Agiora
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:18 pm

Not the green wire! You need the brass terminal on the starter relay that the green wire connects to. The frame is earth so no problem connecting that terminal to earth.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Agiora » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Thanks again Bob, it actually was a grounding problem! Now the starter motor works, but still once I try to start the bike, this happens: https://youtu.be/pF6DvvycGhY].
What could it be?
Agiora
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby spendango » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Sprag clutch sounds as if it's fooked :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
spendango
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:32 pm

Yes, it sounds like the starter clutch is dead and just sliding on the end of the crank.
New one over 300 euros :o
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby DHC6 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:28 pm

Before you start to collect parts try to diagnose the pbm:

Use the starter button with the decomp lever pulled during 3 or 4 revolutions, if the engine turns freely with more than 300 rpm all is OK.

If not: check the brushes in the starter motor, check if you have the starter gears installed as they should be,( see former topics) especially the washers in the correct place.

Starter can be very noisy if too much/less play is present.

Ignition: should spark with > 300 rpm.

PB me for more questions.

R
DHC6
Regular
Regular

Return to DR750