Dr Big rebuild/restore

Questions regarding the DR750

Dr Big rebuild/restore

Postby CapnNogrow » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 pm

IMG_1218.JPG
I bought my big a year ago disassembled. The previous owner had bought it as a project and "didn't have the time" to finish it. That often means a loss of interest or loss of knowledge, or both. He'd sandblasted and resprayed the frame in a solid black colour, and restored the old swing with new bearings and a spanking new shock absorber. Yay me! Now, the original SR41 -89 sports a 750 engine. But unfortunately the cam had taken quite a bit of damage due to low oil level. So he bought a dr800 engine and some parts from a -92 and fitted it to the frame. That's where he lost interest and I saved it. I worked for a couple of months reassembling the bike. I did had to buy another used camshaft because the one in the 800 was cracked.
When finished I ended up with a dr 750 with dr 800 engine, manual decomp, Dr 750 camshaft and a bike that ran like shit. I nearly tore my hair out over it, even consulted the forums. Turns out the previous owner thought the CDI from the 750 would work perfectly with the 800 engine :roll: .
Now it's running damn near perfect with its new Lazer exhaust. Only thing left is opening up the airbox.
I also renovated the front and rear brakes, front fork, gave it new blinkers. Have mounted a Kenda Big Block as front tire. (Wiped out when the old one got a puncture coming down a mountain, scraped the tank and busted up my knee) Tell me what you think about it. Possible must have modifications? Suggestions?

Future plans:

1. Open up airbox.
2. Replace leaky left side motor cover (stator side)
3. Fix and respray the tanks and add new decals.
4. Fit the choke in a better place than duct taped to the steering bar.
5. Possibly some tank and motor protectors.
6. New rear tire. Michelin Anakee Wild.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CapnNogrow
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Dr Big rebuild/restore

Postby DHC6 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:21 pm

If you have got the 750 engine with it swap the primary drive (crank / clutch), install a new oil seal in the RH cover at the same time. Get rid of the airbox and get a KN filter or like wise and make an airbox out of roof rubber sheet. Tank bars RD moto. Front fork stabliser http://dr-big-shop.de/BIG_Fahrwerk_263.html,
Service the front fork and find 1/2" or 12 mm front brake cylinder, with sinter metal pads it than really brakes.

Good luck with this nice project.

R
DHC6
Regular
Regular

Postby Deano » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 am

Good work :tup: it is nice to see another back on the road and not been cut up to make a café racer/bobber out of it. It will always be appreciated on this site.
I have my wife's permission to keep breathing!!
Deano
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 am

The 1990 800 used exactly the same electrics and CDI as the 750, though the later 91-on 800 used a completely different system, and as you say, will run like shit
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby CapnNogrow » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:42 pm

Oh it ran even worse when my failed homemade exhaust broke lose from the muffler. The BIGs don't run all that well with straight pipes. :D
CapnNogrow
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Return to DR750