Float height

Questions regarding the DR750

Float height

Postby Ade » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Has anyone set their float height to the service manual ie inverting carbs and setting to 14.6mm.my floats are way down in the carb body and I've done the test with pipes on the drain bowls which shows the fuel level to be really high but the bike has always run well with perfect colour spark plugs.
Had a look on many a YouTube video where they are adjusting float levels whilst tilting the carb on its side slightly.don't know what to do for the best as I am about to replace the o rings and want to set the float level correctly too.
Ade
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: Float height

Postby O.R. » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:15 pm

Adjusting float level to service manual doesn't always give the result you want. FLoat level is the base of carb adjustments. I always check my float level by performing the "WetTest". With clear fuel hose attached to the float bowl. The level should just between carb body and float bowl. This is the only way to really (visual) check your float level.
During the WetTest, provide sufficient fuel pressure, f.i. with a handpump. This is also an ideal way to check any possible leakage of the T-piece.
IMG_20170722_094750.jpg

And be aware of the fact that old float needles have short pin with a weak damper. Better to spend a few extra bucks and buy new float needles with longer pin and stronger damper in it.
short.jpg
long.jpg
O yes, better to replace float needle valve including the housing. And always check that the needle can actually seal the flow. I once rebuild a set of carbs "low budget", and only replaced the needles and not the housing. Afterwards, the housing was longer than the needle valve, resulting in carb overflow ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
O.R.
Regular
Regular

Return to DR750