RD Moto Engine Bars

Questions regarding the DR750

RD Moto Engine Bars

Postby Mick75 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Got a set of engine bars from RD moto, they took about 5 weeks to turn up so I'm guessing they are only made to order, they are fairly substantial and would save the tank in a spill but some of the welding is a bit iffy, and the bolts provided aren't the best quality I used stainless steel ones instead
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Re: RD Moto Engine Bars

Postby nug » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:53 pm

The bars are pretty chunky but they are not as strong as they look. The bottom bracket with the slip fit is the weak point as it offer no real structural support to the bar which then throws all the stress onto the top mount. I dropped mine and bent them quite easily. They did miss the tank the though.
Last edited by nug on Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:58 pm

5Stars and Hepco & Becker made much better crash bars back in day but they don`t make them any more.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Mick75 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:50 pm

I had noticed that weaknesses in the slip joints when I was putting them on, I was planning to drill them and put a bolt through the slip joint, it'll stop it pulling apart if I hit the deck, and given how long they took to turn up I guess these bars will be unavailable soon enough
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Postby nug » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Yes you could bolt them.
nug

Postby Dr Mabuse » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:23 pm

Hi folks

I called into my machine shop with my new RD bars for an opinion on the welds. I explained my concern is that the weld 'bead' appears poor in that it is inconsistent and hadn't adequately penetrated the tube and had burned through in places.

I'm getting the welds ground down and rewelded. I was afraid the welding may fracture if the bike was dropped upon hard ground. I'll get him to drill the tubes also as suggested.

No doubt I'll drop the bike negotiating obstacles like my tent pegs.....
Dr Mabuse

Postby Mick75 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:29 am

Getting them rewelded by a competent welder would help, I'd drill the slip joints when there on the bike to get the right orientation, any bike I've had with crash bars I've never fallen off of, the ones without always end up in the ditch,such is life
Mick75
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:05 am

Maybe an email to RDMoto might be an idea. They are not going to improve their welding without negative feedback.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby nug » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:17 am

Maybe an email to RDMoto might be an idea. They are not going to improve their welding without negative feedback.

May be a good idea to send them a bag of better quality Pigeon shit to weld the next batch of bars with.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:59 pm

Mad, i dont concur, well i should say mine dont tally with what I'm reading here :eh:
Certainly no weld burn through, nice unbroken beade of weld all round every joining, no chicken shit splatter either. In fact I've hung the entire weight of the bike by them and not so much as a bother to em. I remember linking a post to a lad over on adv who had a high speed spill and they performed.....maybe they've since outsourced or rested on their laurels??
On the subject of the slip joint i wont be drilling snd boltimg that myself, I'd be happier with the bars being sacrificial than taking out the frame in any manner. Just me tuppence like! :shift:
H_Lime

Next

Return to DR750