DR 750 Won't Start

Questions regarding the DR750

DR 750 Won't Start

Postby Noah1989 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am in need of some electric advice concerning repairs on my Dr750.

Problem : Bike was running great and is now not running at all. Parked the bike and went in for a coffee, came out and the bike would rev/turn over but the engine would not catch.

Action : I figured perhaps it was the battery, replaced battery and still no dice. Followed connecting cables to test their current. Solid. Changed spark plugs and bike still will not catch. Was told by street mechanic that possible the CDI or the Alternator Stater is having issues. Mechanic fixed the Alternator Stater (apparently) and bike still. will. not. start... and that he recommends I take the bike to the Suzuki dealership as he thinks its the CDI.

Took bike to dealer ship and the mechanic there told me that I need to do an electric overhaul. (wiring harness, regulator, stator, ignition unit, ignition coils). In my opinion, this seems excessive and that I am being taken for a ride. Bike was running fine previously and now cannot start but still turns/revs.

Solution : Can anyone help me with some sound advice on what to do?
Noah1989
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Re: DR 750 Won't Start

Postby BigBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:06 am

Where do you live?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Noah1989 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:19 am

I live/work in the MENA region
Noah1989
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:36 am

If you lived close to one of us then we could have a look at your bike for you and maybe exchange a few components to try and find the problem.
If MENA stands for Middle east/ North Africa we can`t easily do that, but we can try and help. If you tell us your country we may know someone who lives there with a Big who can help.
Is your Big producing sparks?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Noah1989 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:39 pm

That is fair, I am based in Beirut Lebanon. Anyone close by?

No, no sparks are being produced. Sorry but when it comes to electricity, I am really ignorant. What are your thoughts?

Thanks for your help and time BigBob

Cheers.
Noah1989
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby BigBob » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:33 pm

I don`t suppose there are many Bigs in your part of the world so I guess it`s going to be difficult
If you have no sparks then it could be several things. CDI and pick up coil are the most likely parts to be defective, though the CDI very rarely gives any problems on these models.
My guess is it`s the pick up coil, and it`s happened to me a couple of times. The pick up coil is a trigger next to the rotor on the end of the crankshaft, and it sends a signal to the CDI when to spark.
You can download the manual here http://www.timguy.net/sites/drbiginfo/DrBIGmanuals/ and maybe a friend with an electrical meter can check this out for you.
Does everything else work OK?
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby O.R. » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Did the mecanic measure the internal resistance of pick up coil and power source coil?
Also check that that isolation between the three yellow cables is allright (infinite resistance).
Values are in the workshop manual chapter 7-29.
O.R.
Regular
Regular

Postby Mr.Z » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:27 pm

One thing to look at is the coil that delivers the current for the spark part nr 1 in this link https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/suz ... 68324.aspx
One of the coils looks different and that's the one, if there's play between the coil and the round plate where's it's mounted on [ it's slides in to the plate in a V shaped groove on both side's] it won't do it's job.
If so take a centre punch and rivet it on the sliding edge's so there's no more play on the coil.

Hoop i made my self clear, not really good at writing in English ;)
Mr.Z
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby ladder106 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:57 am

Start simple.

Make certain all the wires are connected to the back of the ignition switch. That seems to be a common point of failure.

If my memory is correct, it's the brown wire that provides power to the ignition circuit and usually breaks off the switch at the solder joint.
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:10 am

You are absolutely right Ladder, in that the ignition switch is a common point of failure and should be checked.
Alas, like many of us older members, your memory fails you on this occasion regarding wire colours.
The circuit is powered up at the switch by the red wire contacting the orange wire and the black with yellow tracer wire (which feeds the ignition). The brown wire powers the brake light.
Check all the black with yellow tracer wires around the headlight. This includes the decompressor lever switch and the kill switch and also the s/stand switch and the decompressor relay.
You can look at colour wiring diagrams here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2224
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Return to DR750