Re: Saying hello! & Rebuild

Postby nug » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:42 pm

I have a plan!!!
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby nug » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:02 pm

I wonder how the vibes were on your bike before you fitted the vibranators as they have rubber bushes at the yoke ? My 750 is fine or at least it doesnt bring on my numbness & crippled old bastid hands like the sr43 800 does which has solid mounted bars. Mind you you it hasnt stopped me doing some long trips to France with Bob & the boys..its strange because i can just ride up to the Heath which is about 3 Miles & my fingers are numb yet I can ride 200 miles in one hit & not have any real effect...so strange.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:19 pm

You could be onto something there. I noticed the slight play in the bars (from the rubber mounts) when pumping the fork there. I didnt know the later models were solidly mounted.
Maybe its more to do with your ergos or how your gripping the bars when having a spin or versus more relaxed cruising.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Yep strange mate but maybe when iam commuting or doing local runs I may be more tense i dont know to be honest but i ride whenever i can whether commuting or otherwise & my mental & physical state is always the same to be honest,,i love riding ...lol. Unfortunately my fat old body has taken a beating over the years with the things i have done whether work or liesure which is now showing itself in all aspects of my life unfortunately.
nug

Postby nug » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 pm

Gave the new bars a good test over the weekend, did over 100m out & about over the Lincolnshire Wolds. The bars feel much better with the extra height & width & the vibes are different (less) & are definately smoother at 4500 rpm which is a the range i ride in most. I think my improvised dampers have helped but ultimately the material used (lead) is soft so would not be as responsive as a harder material. I must pursue the damper ideas as I have many ideas to make a more versatile type than the vibranator.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:33 pm

I was thinking about the adjustability notion. What about a fixed weight that threads in and out of the bar end with a thin nut securing the threaded rod against the bar ends, well, end? With this you obviously cant alter the basics of the actul damper but you could tune it length wise. Would that have the desired effect Nug?
The bars are comfy eh? Nice and wide too, feels just like my old ktm990.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 am

Yep thats the theory mate, if ever get any spare time I will see if i can knock something up & have a play. Very happy with the bars & while the weather is mild I must try my summer gloves to see if the vibes are any greater.
nug

Postby dave#22 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:37 pm

as they have rubber bushes at the yoke ? My 750 is fine or at least it doesnt bring on my numbness & crippled old bastid hands like the sr43 800 does which has solid mounted bars.

Hi all, I also find the DR 750 has next to no vibration at the grips, with std bars, stainless bar ends inside GS 1150 guards, but when I got my SR43B DR800 I was surprised at the increase in vibration at the grips, so I modified an SR41 top yoke, bored out the stanchion holes from 41 to 43mm, fitted the ignition switch mount and the rubber mounted clamps to std bars, stainless end weights, 1150 guards and it was transformed.....not as smooth as a 750, but much better than std. I also run much taller gearing on the 800 (16/45) which means 80mph cruising is no problem, and quite economical.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Good mod that. I had looked at doing the same thing as I have couple of spare yoke sets.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm

Your a handy man Dave, nice work!

Had great spin today, 60 miles and took in some light trails too.

Had a few teething issues tho. When i filled the tanks at the petrol station she stalled shortly after at the lights. There was a drip of petrol coming from where the carb boot meets the carb, yikes :wtf: .
Quickly gave the float bowls a tap with a screw driver and it stopped immediately. My guess was sticky needle float flooding the show, probably a random bit of debris not allowing the needle to seat.

Also i find when the petrol quick relase is in its wire holder it seems to cause a crimp somewhere in the lines as she was starved for juice and died so ive arsed up a hose or two there.
Im not too upset at myself over this as a fair few of the suzuki oem hoses i orderd are discontinued and they just send you a randon bit of hose your expected to cut to the appropriate length. I had put some of these in 'a safe place' so i had no reference for length.

Also in the second pic you can see my speedo cable had vibed off its home under the clocks and was dangling loose so i just pockedted the fecker till i got home.

When coming down the mountain track i hit some whoops and holes and noticed that i now need to retorque the head bearings. I suppose that was a foregone. Robs/Spens wise words of loosening the lower yoke before adjusting it comes to mind.

Really happy with the suspension, she dealt well with surfaces that would have the capo twitching somewhat. Its a very confidence inspiring bike over loose ground for a total amatuer like meself :) Kept thinking i needed a higher gear as i was going slowly in second in the tight stuff but this yoke pulls cleanly from nothing with lots of control.

Lastly the bandit mc is a mismatch with my 4 pot caliper. There is practically no lever travel at all which makes for zero feel, while its strong there is no modulating it, a reciept for a lock up in anything resembling an emergency stop. Il try the stock mc and if thats no good il dig deeper and go aftermarket.
H_Lime

PreviousNext

Return to DR750