Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby ladder106 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:17 am

Finally read your entire thread. Very nice work both on the machine and on the thread and photos.

With all you’ve done to date, are you still procrastinating on the engine work? You’ve obviously got the skills.

Get on it.
ladder106
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby H_Lime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:21 am

Hey Ladder:)
Procrastination no more bits arrived!
Can anyone supply an ebay UK link for the correct 3 bond pleeeease!?
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:25 am

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine- ... SwrjBZ8Fy8

If you phone Michelle @ Robinsons it`s £12.70 minus %10
Part no 99000-31140
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:21 am

BigBob wrote: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine- ... SwrjBZ8Fy8

If you phone Michelle @ Robinsons it`s £12.70 minus %10
Part no 99000-31140

Done, thanks a mill for that Bob, I wasn't sure what code to use but bought 1207B.

Head and base gasket are here with stem seals (do they get a coating of anything?) and the SR43 800 CCT and Hesslers spring too which he says to preload 10mm when swapping it.

Any tips on correctly installing and tensioning this new spring lads?

The new CCT already has a key with string attached for unloading upon reassembly which is handy.

Also I need to coat the journals and cam surfaces with what specifically? A link would rock.

Likewise any tips on additional products to use? Do you lads coat anywhere else like head and base gaskets and if so with what?
I have blue loctite for bolts in hand, do I need something else for oil immersion. My torque wrench is there too.

Basically any tips on doing this job would be greatly received.

Incidentally, for you lads who have done this before, how many hrs work you reckon?

Hope to start this the wknd but will have do it piece meal as don't want to rush it and Invariably family responsibilities will interrupt.
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Since you’re not breaking in a new cam and rockers, I don’t see any reason to use anything other than engine oil to coat the parts on re-assembly.

Engine oil also for the stem seals

And a drop or two on the cylinder head nuts to help insure correct torque

Others might have differing opinions
ladder106

Postby BigBob » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:06 pm

I`d do the same as Ladder.
You won`t need any sealant on the gaskets either.
A drop of Loctite on the tensioner for peace of mind if you want, but the Holy Book doesn`t say anything about it.
Make a plan of the rocker cover and measure the length of the bolts as you remove them and note the position, as they are all 105, 110 and 125 iirc and easy to mix them up.
Just follow the destructions in the Holy Book and you`ll be fine.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby H_Lime » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:33 pm

Big cheers for that Bob and Ladder :tup: . Hope to start Monday after work.
Will I need a piston ring compressor and tool for installing the valve seals or will sensible adaptation overcome?
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:17 am

I did mine without a ring compressor. With only one piston to worry about, it’s pretty easy to ease the rings up into the cylinder. The bottom of the cylinder liner is tapered to allow the rings in without too much trouble.

I did use a second person to ease the cylinder down as I was working the rings up into the bore. You can do it alone but it’s easier to manage with two cause it gives you an extra hand to work with.

You can also use a large hose clamp in a pinch if you prefer. There is a a risk if scratching the piston skirt slightly using this, however.

I used the appropriate sized 12 point socket (don’t remember the size) as a tool to push the valve seals down over the guides. Make sure you use some oil and line it up squarely cause you only get one go. If you push it on crooked, removing the seal will trash it (as you will see). It’s kinda.......steady push.....a bit more push.....just a bit more.....pop and your on. The trick is to increase the force while keeping the force directly in line with the valve guide.

Not as hard as it sounds.
ladder106

Postby BigBob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:46 am

As Ladder says, it`s quite easy getting the piston up into the bore. If I can do it with one hand you will be fine with two.
You`ll need a decompressor tool to remove the valves, just have a magnet handy to catch the collets before they launch themselves into outer space, which they have a habit of doing if you are not careful. Never heard of valve seals going on a Big, though I always change mine when I have the engine apart as a matter of good practice.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:11 pm

Defo make a note of where the rocker cover bolts go as it will be a stressful puzzle to put them back in the right place otherwise you will increase the worry of stripping a thread at the very last hurdle. ;)

Its a good idea to use a tool to put the valve stem seals on, I ruined a set of suzuki ones before before buying a cheap tool off ebay they are a very tight fit the oem ones! Lol why does it seem that everyone who owns a big is taking it apart and fixing it! :lolno:
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

PreviousNext

Return to DR750