Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:52 pm

GrahamW wrote:Defo make a note of where the rocker cover bolts go as it will be a stressful puzzle to put them back in the right place otherwise you will increase the worry of stripping a thread at the very last hurdle. ;)

Its a good idea to use a tool to put the valve stem seals on, I ruined a set of suzuki ones before before buying a cheap tool off ebay they are a very tight fit the oem ones! Lol why does it seem that everyone who owns a big is taking it apart and fixing it! :lolno:

Link for the tool? Was it all right for the job G?
Will do a plan for the bolts cheers for the advice fellas :)

Picked up the coated bits, broke!
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby bigrob » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:28 pm

This picture cheers me up, great work sir !
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:31 am

This was the kit I used Rob, not the best quality but it did the job.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2239449508
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby ladder106 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:33 pm

Pretty powder coating.

Looks like an 80-something GS Suzuki in the back there. Am I correct? I’ve an 82 that I’ve had from new. Still has me smiling in my helmet.

Hope the engine work is going well.
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

Big Rob yeah it looks all shiny and non rusty now:)

Graham cheers I will buy that kit, I read your tribulations getting the seals on so would like to avoid that if poss.

Ladder, I'm gona wait until an opportunity presents before going at it, I want to be without distraction. I had the little ones running about the garage yday and assembled one fork with the piece that goes on the end of the damper rod incorrectly. Had to rip it again:(

The gs is a 78 thousand. Was an import from California actually. It was to be next to be restored but the red Dr popped up and well..
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 am

Rebuilt the pump. Again made a f**k up but caught it in time. Accidentally substituted one of the old plastic check valves for a new one. The old one had an additional clear plastic washer and no green stripe. I didn't look right and twigged it. I think little hands were at the bits I left on the kitchen table lol as I had all parts laid out percisely. It's also fair to say I don't multi task well.
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 pm

If this was the first rebuild on that pump....and if it was the original pump with the soft rubber diaphragm and internal spring(looks like it was)...Stefan (steady on) recommends that the internal cast post that located the spring (no spring on the rebuild due to different diaphragm materials) be removed with a Dremel tool or the like for the pump to function to full capacity.

Just thought you should know.

Children are great randomizes in ones life.......and, no, it doesn’t stop when they get older.
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:50 pm

ladder106 wrote:If this was the first rebuild on that pump....and if it was the original pump with the soft rubber diaphragm and internal spring(looks like it was)...Stefan (steady on) recommends that the internal cast post that located the spring (no spring on the rebuild due to different diaphragm materials) be removed with a Dremel tool or the like for the pump to function to full capacity.

Just thought you should know.

Children are great randomizes in ones life.......and, no, it doesn’t stop when they get older.

You know that mad you say that about Stefans tech tip on removing that post! I was reading it a couple times the last week and had it open when rebuilding the pump and was stroking the chin a bit..

I considered doing it, on the face of things it makes perfect sense as the diaphragm could deflect more with the spring perch gone. But I thought about it more and sure it works perfectly in my rebuilt pump on the blue big and I've often used her on reserve without issue.

Then I wondered does the pumps flow rate come into play at wot and might this effect things but the blue bigs air fuel didn't show this on the dyno... Then I said don't reinvent the bloody wheel Colum and just throw the thing together before the little uns hide more parts on ya :lol:

His articles on the fork preload were of interest also and likewise the exhaust one.

ThreeBond should land tomo. Other than giving the engine a wash of solvent before pulling bits off I've no excuses.
Don't suppose you took a heap of photos during disassembly by any chance Ray?
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:38 am

I’m no help to you on photos, mate.

Took a bunch but my computer is playing up and my personal budget is getting sucked into a certain Red White and Blue Honda.

I’ve been stealing Carole’s iPad for communication for the past 2 weeks....

Sorry

When do you plan on starting. I’ll try to figure the 8 hr difference and make sure I check the site in case you hit a wall.

Feel free to email. IPhone still working.
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:47 pm

Made a start

Why is it necessary to have it aligned upon removal when you are going to time it anyway? Is it to preserve the timing for folks who are just pulling the cover to change the timing chain?

To be sure I painted the bolt red.
She's had at least a barrel in the past and maybe piston, wrong colour for the 89.

Your opinion lads?

Service limit is 129mm.

Honing marks there but you can see light wear on surfa e finish at bdc. Opinions welcome.

[url=https://ibb.co/FqdvmdQ]Image[/url

Very much welcome thoughts on installing the spring and setting it's preload.
Hard earned tips on that and timing and anything of a reassembly nature from here on welcome, oh and is there anything else I should do whilst on here.

Overall it went well. I had read a fair bit and the manual too.
My worries were the CCT wind in and the nuts on the external head and barrel. The exhaust one put up a fight as was seized. Hit it with product and covered it in grinding paste and used my best 12 teng and tapped it loose with a hammer.

Other fumble was the manual failing to mention you appear to need to keep the CCT tensioned whilst removing the cam sprocket. This was difficult for me as she was under spring pressure to release so needed an extra hand, or in my case the stomach was used to hold the screw driver whilst there ha ds worked up top.
H_Lime

PreviousNext

Return to DR750