Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:21 pm

nug wrote:Some good info coming out of all this work Colum :tup:

Well if it runs once I bolt it all back together it will be good info :lol:
Long time no see Nug, any biking craic in your garage at the mo?
Reassembly tips and tricks welcome.
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby ladder106 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:20 pm

You fellas want to help out your token Yank here?

WTH is “craic”?? How is it pronounced and used?

Thanks

As for reassembly tips.... if it’s a roundy bit use pliers. If it’s a slotted bit, use a screwdriver
ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:11 am

ladder106 wrote:You fellas want to help out your token Yank here?

WTH is “craic”?? How is it pronounced and used?

Thanks

As for reassembly tips.... if it’s a roundy bit use pliers. If it’s a slotted bit, use a screwdriver

:lol: It's "crack" and no it's not bad drugs but instead means what's the story, any news any gossip withya :P
BTW Ray that Africa Twin is frigging awesome mate I have to say, post a pic! Being meaning to get back to you but the pedals to metal at the mo.
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:02 am

ladder106

Postby H_Lime » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 am

So weird seeing a dr 750 in California :tup: Weirder still when you consider the stablemates! Real nice fleet Ray.

What screen do you have on the big?
H_Lime

Postby ladder106 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:58 pm

Surprised the photo was actually available for viewing. Still trying to muddle through with the iPhone rather than the computer.

Thought it rude to post a photo of the newly finished Africa Twin without upstaging it with the 750.

The windscreen on the 750 is Hessler’s touring screen for the SR43. It can be fitted over the headlight cowl of the SR41/2 with some spacers and an afternoon of fiddling about with spacers and hardware.

It’ actually provides pretty good protection without much buffeting for me.

I’ll post a photo Link of the RD03 by itself if I can make that work next post.

Get your head back from the machinist yet?
ladder106

Postby ladder106 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:24 pm

ladder106

Postby nug » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Long time no see Nug, any biking craic in your garage at the mo?

Apologies for the lack of input. I have been very busy and generally distracted from all things BIg.

Not got much going on in the garage at the moment. I did make a removable screen for the CCM the other week. I have yet to try it though as I will most likely get taken out by a falling tree or tidal wave!

I have been chucking a few hours into a 4 wheeled project recently. Not making much progress though ... :lolno:

Its good to see the forum is pretty active. I do look in frequently, but usually with my phone (laptop is dead) which I find hard work to post messages with.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:45 am

Good stuff Nug, show us the screen! I'm kind of on the fence bout the one I made for my big. Ladders one from H has me considering buying one but not for this project as I want it outwardly stock looking.
Is your Dr awaiting spring time ready to rock or does she need work doing?

Ray your Dr is sweet and looks very business like with the knobblies on her :tup: A few more pics of the screen would rock.

What's the plan with the Africa Twin? It's far too nice to off road surely? Any more developments on your suspension quest for a magic carpet ride:)? Can faiy comprehensively state there is no one else in the a couple thousand miles of you with an alp, an @, a pan and a big!!

I'm resisting the temptation to buy an aftermarket shock for this bike. I paired the tallest of the four oem springs I own with the original damper which worked well enough. I also threw Daves aftermarket stronger rate spring on another one in case life allows me time to go touring again.

Not much done lately as I've up the walls.
Quick update on my DIY gel insert saddle recovering attempt.

The above is my attempt at covering the gel insert. In a word sh1t.

Above is the efforts by a pro :tup:
As always the solution was obvious in hindsight. I opted for a 3mm closed cell polyethylene foam as an overlay to disguise the transition from oe seat foam to the gel. My foam had no spring or loft and as such the difference in compression was still obvious.
He chose an springy lofting open cell foam. Now, whilst the transition is still there it is masked by the lofting of the cover by his foam. Genius!
He's a retired chap who managed the upholstery dept of the old Ford company here in Cork and if anyone on the island needs his details I'd be glad to pm them.
Also he rated the materials and fit of the cover I bought as good
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-DR750 ... 3891693037

I stuck the red saddle on blue and its easily as comfy as the p and p upholstered saddle they did for me with a gel insert at a third the cost...
Very happy with that and glad I went with the later 800 cover with Suzuki down the sides as the oe one looks bare.

Cutting my spacers to make the requisite height for the preload

Here they are together with the brake upgrade mounted for kicks.

Head back from the shop after being comprehensively decoked, new seals and with lapped in valves. He elected to do em by hand rather than machine. He also did a 0.1mm skim.
I'll change the inlet o ring seals now he managed to impact the stubs off.

Rehoned the barrel. There was very slight evidence of vertical scoring in opposite spots which honing removed, he reckons she's good to go. Will do Daves lapping the barrel mating surface for the head on some glass and bolt her up ASAP.

Next after that is seal her up and soda blast it, etch it and two pack paint. Then.... I can start putting her all back together again. :shift:
H_Lime

Postby nug » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Some shiny bits there mate. Seat looks really nice. Hopefully it will prove to be very comfy.

I will get some pics of the CCM and chuck em up at some point. Screen looks a bit weird with the 8" round headlight I have fitted. Maybe I just need to get used to it? Headlight works great. The screen is more of an experiment to see if I can endure a long trip on the blacktop and actually make use of the 25ltr tank I fitted.

The Big is ready to ride. Just not ridden it though! I last went out on it in horrific weather. I just hosed it off and put it away. I will give it a quick once over before going to the Ace Cafe meet this month. Shortly after, we are off to France and Belgium on a Fort and Bunker kicking trip :D Can't wait as I have got cabin fever!
nug

PreviousNext

Return to DR750