Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:05 am

ladder106 wrote:You’re going to make it too pretty to ride in the rain.

I hope so, I hate the riding in the rain :silent: I did it out of necessity for yrs before I learnt to drive a car :D
Nah this one will wear some scars with pride. I'm not rebuilding the wheels and they show some age. If I can get her well tidy, stock looking and a good bike to ride I'll be over the moon.

You getting out on the bikes these days Ray or are you and the missus holed up? Hope ye are well, how's the form?
I'm eating garlic to beat the band to bolster my viral fighting abilities dontcha know....you could smell me from here.

So that's the outcome of my blasting efforts.
It's not perfect but I was running out of media and my poor compressor was running flat out for over 2 hrs with little rest. It should be sufficient for a decent key I feel.
A big turning point in the build will be getting the bloody engine back in the frame and bolt stuff on :tup:

I stripped off the covers and all my blanking plates and they held thankfully. No grit where there shouldn't be.
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby H_Lime » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:56 pm

Nice to use.

Shame someone didn't use one.

Reused the brass rivets. Took some doing.

H_Lime

Postby bigrob » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Looks great. Not touched my bike for an age, but I have some engine degreaser arriving soon, so I may be able to paint the engine this weekend.
I'm still out in Hospitals, nursing & residential homes, so maybe it's only a matter of time untill I get the dam bug and if all's well, I'll have time to finish my bike :o

Try and stay safe homies :tup:
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby BigBob » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:33 am

It`s going to be far too pretty to actually ride. Looking good. :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ladder106 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:42 pm

I live in a small town 30 miles outside of Sacramento California.

After navigating 3 light controlled intersections I am out in the farmland of the north Central Valley.

I can see no reason why riding a bicycle or motorcycle solo with no other human around for miles can contribute to disease spread.

So that’s what I’m doing. I understand sterile technique and have been doing that at fuel stops and treating incoming groceries and supplies with the same technique.

Grocery stores and markets here are still open. All have special hours set aside for people over 65 and all are limiting the number of shoppers allowed inside. This results in a small wait outside with folks maintaining a reasonable distance. Everyone seems too be behaving well.

Over all, the world seems to have slowed down significantly which is not a bad thing. My pension from the Fire Department seems to be holding its own against a falling market so....at least for now....things for us are very manageable.

Personally, I’ve never been a social person or saw any need to attend sporting events or large gatherings of any kind. More than 5 or 6 people in a room will have me heading for the exits.

My sporting activities have always revolved around motor sports and I’ve learned very early on that one can see a race much better on TV than one ever could when actually being at the track. This is amplified by my taste in Rallye racing, Baja, etc where physically viewing the event is almost impossible in person.

I’m happy your rebuild is going so well. It looks like you will end with something that approaches “museum” quality. I have faith that you’ll actually ride it.

Be sure to find some help getting the engine back into the frame. It’s a heavy oddly shaped lump.
ladder106

Postby BigBob » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:43 pm

My sentiments entirely Ladder. I`ve been isolating now for six weeks and going for a ride in the countryside is the only thing keeping me sane.
As for engine installation; it`s much easier to lay the engine on its left side and fit the frame over it
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ladder106 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:00 pm

Last time I did it, I built the frame and wheels etc before the engine so had no choice but to lift the engine to the frame..

After that I admit I got the order of assembly wrong. Frame over engine would have been much easier with fewer scratches on fresh paint or powder coat

Do it that way, Colum
ladder106

Postby spendango » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:10 pm

Engine on the ground and set the frame over it , that seems to be the best way :tup:
spendango

Postby H_Lime » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:51 am

Both of us are flat out in work so unlike a lot of online projects where lads are flyin forward mine is a bit stalled somewhat.
Bought some more bits off megazip, christ knows when they'll land. Hopefully the don't fecking send them to Iceland, substituting the r for a "c" delayed me 3 wks the basta*s lol.
They were outta throttle cables but entered the part nos into ebay and found a UK seller with NOS torn packaging fo 20 squid so bagged it, result.
11483-44B11-000
GASKET,MAGNETO COVER Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $27.35

34910-12E00-000
CABLE ASSY,SPEEDOMETER Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $21.31

86932-73060-000
LABEL,FUEL CAUTION Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $1.49

58200-44B02-000
CABLE ASSY,CLUTCH Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $23.22

58273-31001-000
Boot,clutch Cable Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $1.75

58900-44X00-000
CABLE ASSY,DECOMP Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $25.29

58300-44B00-000
Cable assy,throttle Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $23.06

11967-82000-000
LABEL,ASBESTOS WARNING Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $1.81

69686-34200-000
O RING Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $1.49

51353-24B00-000
NUT,CAP Suzuki
US $13.36 ×
1 pcs.
US $13.36
01204-08357-000

BOLT Suzuki
1 compl.
In Package 10 pcs.
US $10.17

57110-13610-000
GRIP ASSY,THROTTLE Suzuki
1 pcs.
US $13.04

57211-46111-000
GRIP,L Suzuki
US $6.30 ×
1 pcs.
US $6.30

Yes I bought warning stickers :wtf: Im fairly sure the asbestos frame sticker is australia only for some reason but its on my blue donor Dr (which is aussie) and it looks so fuggin cool I had to have it for red :lol: . Nothing like an aul bit of carcinogenic silicates 80's style graphics to enriched your project. Sits up the headstock on the lhs iirc so visible. The unleaded one goes on the central piece between the tanks yea?

Tyres are bt trail wings 2015. Front is 80% and rear is 40%. They seemed grand but I decided to renew em.
Getting better at using the kit to do this. The alloy mate sealey clone bar is not as good as the wheel mate at removal. The thinner tip allows you get it under the bead easier. Me and my helper had them both off in under 30 mins including "can I have a go's" :D.

Front is harder as is skinnier. No chance of doing this with the alloy mate, your using levers.

Handy bit of kit!

The spokes are black and upon cleaning they were a shade of dark grey. With a very light rub of 1500 grit wet n dry and some wd40 they came back enough that I won't have to buy stainless spokes and rebuild em I feel. I'm barely rubbing these down so not taking the galvanising off them. Either way they'll get a rub of acf and I'm a fair weather fairy :roll:

That'll do me.

Started on the rear.

There was a rim on the front which took a knock and had spread showing a wobble on the balancer, only one rim mind, and not the bead seat.
With some pieces of timber and a few whacks she came good. Both wheels very true! :tup:

Recommend me some tyres!?
H_Lime

Postby BigBob » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:35 am

You need to use something like these to protect the rims from damage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORCYCLE-T ... Swc49Y72EU
I discovered Michelin Anakees 111 a few years ago and now swear by them.
I get 12-15k out of them and yet they grip incredibly well in dry or wet conditions, and handle really well too.
M&P were selling them @ £99 per pair a while back.
I used Bridgestone TW41&42 before that and they were great but only lasted about 5k.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

PreviousNext

Return to DR750