Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby H_Lime » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Weldy macweld

And no more blowing.
Sounds fuggin brill :tup: Really deep boomy kinda sound out of her. As said maybe 15% louder than stock but only louder in bass. Tentative spin says shes still mega torquey down low so backpressure galore as Bob promised.

Now Nug me auld flower....I've made a call on tbis after a long hard look and my dr's bum does not look big in this alright! :oops: :D
That exhaust is harmoniously in balance and in keeping with the lines and general aesthetic of that bike and i will not have any more of yer size shaming....!

Weights wise the busa can = 3.1 + .5 for link and flange. Stock exhaust come in 4.8 so 1.2ish kg weight saving over stock. It will never rust, sounds great and imo looks better plus it has the all important back presssure that a straight through cant compete with.
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby bigrob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:33 am

That looks great, my compliments to the chef ! :tup:
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:40 am

:tup: :tup: :tup:
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby Deano » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

I would go with an Aerotight nut on a plain washer to avoid any chance of loosening up or damage :tup:
I have my wife's permission to keep breathing!!
Deano

Postby H_Lime » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:08 pm

Cheers lads, very happy with it but I'd like to reinforce it like nug did with some sorta bracket that could brace the ink pipe as per the oem set up. Anyone know of some sorta pipe clamp that could be fandangoed to mount the pipe to the bolt hole somehow?? I will think of something eventually but welding it aint an option as the welder is busy.

Deano i dig those Aerotights! A new one on me.
Need to find one no higher than m8 by 8mm high though:(. Clearance from disc to rear of lug where the nut shall live is 10.5 mm and i want 2.5mm spare.
Will buy my 6082 now I know what size i want so will start in earnest soon.
H_Lime

Postby nug » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 pm

Looks better in that pic Colum :tup:

Glad you like the sound mate. If its anything like mine, it is spot on.

I would just fab a plate up that ties the mounting lug into the hanger bracket. Shape it so it looks like it grew there :tup:

Good advice from Deano re the Aerotights.....they let the farts out, been wearing them for years :clap:

I use philidas nuts which are essentially the same thing. I never use nylocks other than on maybe plastic or GRP parts. I soon learn't the benefits of these nuts back in my Military truck building days. You can be sure they won't vibrate loose or have heat damage them like a nylock.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:59 pm

Cheers for the help on fixing lads its appreciated. Waiting on the stock to artive to make the adapter and exh hanger.
An issue is the deck height for the nut. All of these fasteners are in and around 8 to 10mm high but with 10.5 mm clearence from lug to disc and a requirement of about 1.5mm of threads stocking out the back of the nut it meeds to be about 8mm max height. That makes this trickier.

While bits are in the post i wanted to ride it.

Boshed the above together in fifteen mins. Doesnt look like it grew there Nug, but it will do the job for a spin;) Will attempt a tidier job when ally plate lands.
Threw the old caliper back on and out the gap on reserve before they missed me.

Threw a tenner in her, threw the petcock down...
And it lashed.
Confidence inspiring bike in the wet.

Had a lovely hours spin up the backroads. Pulling sweetly with a really meaty midrange and a nice muted thump from the can. She a touch lean off the bottom and the idle hangs but I'll investigate the carbs soon.

Finished off up a local trail and it easier by far with the lower stock suspension to offroad with a touch more confidently than on long legged blue. Sometimes squishey is good:)
H_Lime

Postby nug » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 pm

Looking good mate.

Can you not just have the nut on the outside so that the disc only has to clear the slimmer bolt head? Function over form is often the only option.

Maybe disconnect the linkage and cycle the wheel through its travel just to see if it does actually foul. I reckon the caliper could hit it if its so close.
nug

Postby H_Lime » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 pm

nug wrote:Looking good mate.

Can you not just have the nut on the outside so that the disc only has to clear the slimmer bolt head? Function over form is often the only option.

Maybe disconnect the linkage and cycle the wheel through its travel just to see if it does actually foul. I reckon the caliper could hit it if its so close.

Had not thought of swopping the bolt around! Genius:tup: https://www.pro-bolt.com/mlsshx840bk-st ... black.html
Head height is 6.5mm so perfect solution thanks.

Yeah the caliper clearance is something I overlooked Nug. I was so focused on exceeding the stock height of the oem can (which I did by a good margin) I overlooked the fact the oem can is scalloped to allow the caliper pass by it in the swingarms stroke. Very thick of me, and very smart of you :oops: Cheers for the heads up man, i owe ya.

Right so, stock rear stroke is 8.7 inch and I am an inch shy of that in clearance using the swinger pivot as the centre of radius from the highest point of the caliper. Not good but i think i can get that inch back. So many jokes :lol:
If i loosen the clamp at the header joining i can rotate the exhaust outwards another inch which means the potential contact point will be effectively higher up.
Either way once i have the bike properly sat I'll pull the lower shock mount and see where i am but hopefully that fix will be groovy. If its not its back to the drawing board as i never want to enter heaven (or hell) stating the reason for entry being modifying my bike dangerously by limiting travel!
What i could do is fit this set up on blue as shes drum so no worries and have the gixer one on red.

Weirdly the first thing i did after reading your post was clean the underside of the can of all the mud from offroading sunday wholly expecting to see a ding as i hit holes hard but not a mark! I bellyflopoed on the rear rack and it's not hitting either. Anyone know for sure the rear stroke?
H_Lime

Postby nug » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:15 pm

If you have spare shock you could fit it with the spring removed and get an exact travel measurement.
nug

PreviousNext

Return to DR750