Lots to be doing.

Questions regarding the DR750

Re: Lots to be doing.

Postby DUNK » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 am

I went over to France earlier this year for 75 anniversary,I got ferry then rode my mountain bike across to Utah beach then rode the coast all way back to Juno,was fantastic,especially with the Dakotas spitfires hurricanes and mustangs flying overhead.The temporary dock segments are amazing and absolutely huge.My god those men were so brave running up those beaches into machine gun fire.The real heroes!
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DUNK
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Postby notags » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,
Looking good so far mate,I have a red SR42 800 like yours .
I note you have bought a DIY seat cover,what is your view on its quality and where did you buy it?
Look forward to seeing the recovered seat,good luck with the project. Thanks.
notags
Regular
Regular

Postby bigrob » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Hi Dunk,
Looks great. I'm going to the same area in the summer of 2020. Going on my DR650RS that I'm rebuilding at the moment. I went to Dunkirk last year and that was great place to go.
:tup:
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:44 pm

Christ lads yer giving me the itch to head off on the Dr somewhere far! Have yet to do a long journey on it and that's something I hope to rectify this coming summer.
Love the pics Dunk, if you get good weather Northern France is beautiful but often I've been baptised there lol.

Notags this is where I sourced mine
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-DR750 ... Sw43ddgKDx
Quality of vinyl and stitching seems decent and they seem to have good feedback being a UK manufacturing company who's been around a while. It's pre tailored which is a huge help I understand. Will let you know how it goes. I should report back later on the seat as tonight I'm cutting into the foam to recess the 10mm deep gel sheet I bought.
After that I'm waiting till the 3mm thick 1m x 1m sheet of closed cell foam (neoprene) lands to wrap the whole thing before fitting the cover. From reading up on it this seems to be the difference in making a seamless install of a gel insert, that and using a spray adhesive.

If I can pull this off I'll be a very happy chappy as I paid big money for someone in the UK to do this on my blue Dr (P and P Seating it was iirc and 200 odd euro).
So far I'm in this for.... the cover for 35, the gel insert under a tenner and the neoprene under 20 incl delivery and a fiver for spray adhesive.

Sorted the issue with my swinger bearing bushes not fitting in the bearings upon installation. It was indeed my error in not removing traces of powder from the seats that had deformed the inner run enough that the bushes wouldn't fit.
After removing the bearings this is all it took to queer the pitch

Out with the grinder, removed it with a small rotary sanding attachment, installed new bearings and everythings groovy. Lesson learnt.

Started on the exhaust hanger.

Aluminium specific grinding discs seem hard to come by and this is in the abrasion rating your meant to use but it's not great. Hack saw and rasp better.

https://youtu.be/7t161TvWGQQ
Would love this! :D
H_Lime
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby notags » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi,
Thanks for reply,many a project has ground to halt due to overspray or residue powder coat.
Thank **** for the Dremel.!
Thanks for seat info.I will order one.
Regards.
notags
Regular
Regular

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:51 am

Had at the saddle tonight

Despite being meticulous in my measurements I somehow ended up with a 6mm gap up top lol. Still do not understand how. Its as if the process of peeling off the very adhesive backing of the gel pad somehow stretched and then it rebounded back 6mm shorter!? Mad Ted.
Plugged the gap with a 6mm piece of foam cut to shape and I'll sand it flush once the spray adhesive goes off properly tomo.
The tricky bit kicks off then tailoring a 3mm thick closed cell foam smoothing layer over the whole saddle before fitting the new cover.

Meh not overjoyed with that but it is functional. Looks like a fallopian tube disgram or slingshot :lol: . Exhaust is solid but I may revisit it.
H_Lime

Postby H_Lime » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 am

Actually I know what it reminds me of haha :lol: :oops:

H_Lime

Postby nug » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:34 pm

I am surprised that man hasn't had his privates covered up considering the way people get upset over any old bollocks.

Nice job fitting the incontinence pad. I hope it helps with the old farmer giles :tup:
I used upholsterers scrim to go over my foam mods on the 750. Works really well and is very stretchy. That combined with the neoprene cover....massive improvement!

You have excelled yourself with the exhaust bracket mate. Should keep the old Bazooka attached for years to come :tup:
nug

Postby bigrob » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Very nice bracket indeed.
Rob from Dartmoor.
bigrob
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby H_Lime » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 pm

It will do perhaps.

Had spring coated. Which I shouldn't have done as now the urge to rip her asunder is strong.
H_Lime

PreviousNext

Return to DR750