Drive Chain life

Questions regarding the DR800

Drive Chain life

Postby jamminbmx » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi guys!

A mate of mine has a KTM 690 and we were out riding and teeth starting falling off his drive sprocket. He's now down to 2 of 16 teeth!

He has done around 20k miles on the chain and sprockets. I have done about the same on my DR BIG chain / sprockets and have no noticeable wear. I lube the chain every ride as suggested by Big Bob and tension it about every 1k I think.

Made me think - how often do you guys replace your chains?

Cheers!

Ben :crazy:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Re: Drive Chain life

Postby nug » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 am

Depends what chain you use and how you maintain it really. I have always used Tsubaki chains and have not had to replace one in the time I have owned a bike so I would say 10000 miles should be easily reached. I have only had to adjust my current chain once and that was at around 1000 miles. It now has about 7500 miles on it. I do use a cheap loobman oiler with engine oil in it.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby jamminbmx » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:03 am

Cheers Nug. I have a DID X-Ring. It was expensive but I am crap at making links up so I got an endless chain. This requires removing the swing arm to fit so wanted the best one I could find! :lolno:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:07 am

I`ve had chains last over 50k and still had adjustment in them when disposed of. Mind you, I am obsessed with lubing them frequently ie every ride.
The weakest link (literally) is the rivet link, which is invariably banged on so tight that no lube can get into the pin and it gets rusty and breaks, often taking the engine case with it when it goes. I`ve heard far too many cases of this happening for me to want to use a rivet link, so I changed to a clip link years ago and have never had a problem since.
Using an endless chain is a good way to go, though removing the s/arm can be a bit of a pain.
I can recommend Wurth dry chain lube very highly, though it is expensive. S DOC 100 lube is also excellent though harder to find.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 pm

I suppose the chains are too big and heavy to use one of the links with the little clip.
GrahamW
Regular
Regular

Postby jamminbmx » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 am

You can use a master link clip for the 520 size chain on the DR BIG. I have one on my KLR 650 and ridden at least 50k on various chains with the master link clip and never had a problem.

I just used an endless chain as I saw one for sale and it seemed like a good idea. :think:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 am

I converted my Bigs to 530 chain many years ago and use a clip link with them with no problem, so there is no issue with size.
I get a lot of miles out of a chain before it needs adjusting because I make sure they are lubricated frequently with good quality chain lube.
It helps if you use a good quality chain like Tsubaki, Afam or DID. I guess you get what you pay for.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby jamminbmx » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:26 am

How do you push the plate of the master clip link on to the pins? Do you need a chain tool for this? I always used slip jaw pliers but it makes a mess of the plates. That's why I stopped using them :eh:
jamminbmx
Regular
Regular

Postby BigBob » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 am

A pair of small pliers works for me no problem every time.
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby ally » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 pm

I purchased a pair of link pliers, one jaw is very slightly longer, like an over bite (!)

the longer jaw pushing the split link, easy to file down a beat up pair of pliers to suit

:)
ally
Virgin - be gentle
Virgin - be gentle

Next

Return to DR800