Rear tyre needed

Questions regarding the DR800

Re: Rear tyre needed

Postby nug » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 pm

Just buy a decent brand like Michelin. There seems to be a lot of Vee Rubber tubes about. I have heard that they fail. Things like the valve cores detach from the tube apparently....scary!
Last edited by nug on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nug
Site Supporter & all round Good Egg!

Postby BigBob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:34 am

Things like the valve cores detach from the tune apparently

Yep, happened to me.

I usually get Michelin or Conti heavy duty tubes
BigBob
Admin
Admin

Postby GrahamW » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:17 am

I read Bobs post about the cheap Vee Rubber inner tube from Thailand failing and had that in the back of my mind on a trip around the M25 on the weekend to meet mates in North London, Cheers Bob! :lol:

I found an ebay seller basically a bike shop up north somewhere who sells inner tubes by tyre size and they are Michelin ones so ordered a pair of those, I doubt the Michelin man would let me down.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-Air ... 3462473615

This way I will have the tyres and tubes so can go to any tyre place and get them fitted. I am actually considering getting a bead breaker but think I would need someone with experience doing it to show me first time or maybe watch some youtube videos. It would save me having to put the wheels in the car and go hunting around for tyre places that will do it.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Its not to hard to change your own tyres. Mitas are very stiff in the sidewall and will give you a workout though. I do my own tyres. I even swapped some new tyres onto her indoors car the other day. Not much fun of course. Its a pain getting car tyres fitted round here as they are all jobsworths and will normally only fit tyres they supply which is very expensive. I have a couple of "mates" who have tyre machines and balancers, trouble is, they are always to busy do it on the spot. Having fitted the tyres, her indoors can just drop into a tyre shop and ask for a balance, which they are happy to do.
nug

Postby GrahamW » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:08 pm

Yep tyre places can be jobsworths the one I used today was fine when he did a plug for me in my other bike a couple of weeks ago but he sounded pissed off that I was bringing my own tyre and tube. The thing is its more of a car place so don't understand why they were funny about it also £24 to fit one tyre. The worst place was a bike tyre place in South Ruislip when I had my first big bike. I rode the bike to the tyre place with a car following with the tyres and was told "I dont fit other peoples tyres", I will fit them but I will charge you £45 extra per tyre as that would have been my mark up! He let me off when I showed him that they were Metzellers he said were not available.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby nug » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:58 pm

The worst place was a bike tyre place in South Ruislip

Was that HGB tyres?
nug

Postby GrahamW » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 am

Yep HGB was about 10 years ago though was awful got a right rollocking of him for bringing in my own tyres! :lolno:
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby dave#22 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:29 am

I always change my own tyres and have done for years, I also carry tyre levers and a repair kit...the only problem I've had is with the Avon Trailrider, the beads are so tight that I struggled to fit them, then had a problem getting the bead to seat correctly on the rim, it required about 80psi to seat properly, which would be impossible at the side of the road! I was that annoyed, I contacted Avon and got a refund.
I've gone back to Tourance F&R on one bike, on another still on good old Distanzias and the third, Tourance front, Conti Trail Attack 2....and I use 120/90/17 :o as I think the std rim is too narrow for anything larger.
Dave.
dave#22
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:59 am

I have both my Mitas E-08s on now and they seem pretty good the rear got a good workout on Friday riding 50 miles home in torrential rain and handled the mucky country lanes well in the Surrey Hills. :)

I am off to Eindhoven Wednesday for a long weekends camping so good to have new tyres for that.
GrahamW
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Previous

Return to DR800