Vibration through the grips

Questions regarding the DR800

Vibration through the grips

Postby GrahamW » Mon May 18, 2020 11:54 am

I did a 150 round trip to go for a walk in the country with a couple of buddy's yesterday from the coast to the suburbs of North West London. My first proper ride on the bike for quite a while but found the M25 hard work on the big at 60-70mph with really buzzy vibrations through the grips. I think the combination of worn out foam grips on and aluminium bars is making it more pronounced. What do you think of these grips it looks like they are just foam covers, any ideas on how to reduce the vibes at speed. Normally I tend to plod around the back roads but its hard to avoid the odd motorway jaunt. I was thinking of fitting new high density foam to the grips to start with and checking engine mounting bolts. Bike does tend to get buzzy under load like when climbing steep hills as well.

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Re: Vibration through the grips

Postby GrahamW » Mon May 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Ahhh I think I have found part of the problem! Was living with the fact that I have threaded bolts holding on my crash bars, one side has a loose bolt that wont do up and on the other side a similar bolt with the same issue fell out completely. These bolts don't just hold the crash bars on the hold something else! :wtf: :crazy:

I need to sort those engine mount bolts then as loose engine mounts cause bad vibes and make me feel like I am breaking concrete ;) Its not the bolts that are the problem but the thread on the mount so could just stick a nut on the back maybe and use longer bolts.

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby Hann » Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 pm

I`d be surprised if anyone got `the tingles` with the DR800.
When i first started riding the Big i was pleased to find how smooth it was for a big single, at motorway speeds it actually gets smoother and there are no intrusive vibes at all. It just purrs effortlessly at 75.
I once had the misfortune to borrow a mates CB250 rs back in the day and that was a horrible little thing - vibey, snatchy and lumpy. Put me off singles for years...
A mate bought a Honda Vigor 650 last year for something to ride whilst staying in Spain for the winter - that was also totally dull, mundane and soulless, not helped by the standard exhaust which is far too quiet.
Dr Bigs for the win! (ignoring the indifferent road tests from recent and historical bike magazine articles).
A good big `un is always better than a good little`un!
Hann
Regular
Regular

Postby GrahamW » Mon May 18, 2020 1:05 pm

I found a couple of longer m8 bolts and fitted them with nylocs on the back and spring washers on the front. Hopefully will help.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby notags » Mon May 18, 2020 2:51 pm

Hi,
I have Grip puppies fitted to my XT12 brilliant,I’m getting a pair for my DR800 soon.
Vibes have never been an issue on any DR I’ve owned,surprisingly the higher the speed less vibes come through!
Close shave with that bolt mate!
Cheers.
notags
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Mon May 18, 2020 3:25 pm

I have seen those grip puppies on ebay but have just ordered a new set of these for the time being as they look like what I have now but obviously not worn out and a bit thicker.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bikeit-GRPFB ... 2539714940

Hopefully now fixing the loose and missing bolts will fix the vibration so will go for a test ride later to see if there is much difference.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby GrahamW » Mon May 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Went for a test run along the a27 and gave it a little bit of welly, the vibration is certainly improved after sorting those bolts.

I checked oil when I got back and noticed it was at the low end of the dip stick so topped up a bit but has been 1200 miles since I changed it. Maybe Wilko 10w40 semi synthetic burns off a bit quicker.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby notags » Mon May 18, 2020 7:34 pm

Hi,
I note you have a CBR style Brake master cylinder? What did it come off? I had a DR600 with a CBR600 mc fitted and it was huge improvement ,but it would make the fork dive and po -go wildly! Such fun!
notags
On Here A Lot
On Here A Lot

Postby GrahamW » Tue May 19, 2020 7:39 am

Hi the master cylinder was on the bike when I bought it but I think its off a Bandit.
GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Postby GrahamW » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Well my new grips arrived and I have them fitted using soapy water, they feel like they have more padding in them than the old ones. :)

GrahamW
Should Get Out More!
Should Get Out More!

Return to DR800